What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tons of "something" crawling on top of my soil

GlaZed420

There tons of little light brown colored bugs crawling on top of my soil. They basically look like baby spiders? The plants are in a green house. I do use compost tea

HqFarms

My guess is hypoaspis miles but like I said just a guess. To get actuate help we need some pictures brotha. Take care

Sativan

Without pics there's no telling what they are. Be prepared to treat it.

Don't you have a small magnifier to look at your Trichomes?

YetiOG

Go look at pics of thrips and other soil dwelling bugs you will figure it out like that. Theres tons of threads about pests that have info

buzzmobile

Veteran
Grabbed a video... I also noticed several tiny white worms???

The tiny white worms are probably fungus gnat larvae.

FungusGnatsLarvae.jpg

The other critters are too small for me to get a good ID.

mushroombrew

Veteran
The tiny white worms are probably fungus gnat larvae.

View Image

The other critters are too small for me to get a good ID.
The gnat larvae I had seen didn't have black heads. But you are probably right. Yellow sticky traps are awesome for adults. I put them as close to the dirt as possible.
And recently had gnats on some new clones(always quarantine) and SNS 209 soil drench wiped them out. Natty product too.
Keep the dirt on the drier side if possible.

So still no idea what those crawlers are? Most bugs that move that fast are predators not pests.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Forgot to mention Diatomaceous Earth. Sprinkle it on top of the soil. It does wash away over time but bugs don't like it. And it's harmless to humans. Well don't breath clouds of dust. But it's inert and non toxic.

Mo. G

Sorry to reopen this thread, but the the little tiny bugs are called hypoaspis miles, which are benificial. They will eat rotting plant/soil matter, fungus gnat larvae etc etc. They will not harm your plants at all and will die/migrate when their food source runs dry. Not quite sure what the worms are..cant see them, but I wouldn't worry to much as long as you're using stickies to monitor pest population.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guessing from the speedy movement, some type of predator. Pest species tend to move slowly.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If they move quickly, it is a good bug. If they move slowly, it is usually a bad one.

A 60 power hand jewelers loupe is $12 on amazon.

Xanode

I have a good population of hypoaspis miles in my worm bin, how would I attract these guys to gather them? Is there some kind of food that they go crazy for?

Latest posts

Latest posts