What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PTFE, Buna or Viton

HWY36

High quality viton.

Roji, I searched through a bunch of threads and saw where you were saying viton sucks. Are you you using envelope gaskets? What are you currently using brutha and where can I get them? Regards.

Roji

Cheap chinese "viton" sucks but good quality gaskets from places like Rubberfab do not have the same issues with cleaning solvents seemingly dissolving the gaskets.

Old Gold

Cheap chinese "viton" sucks but good quality gaskets from places like Rubberfab do not have the same issues with cleaning solvents seemingly dissolving the gaskets.

Agreed, but I have multiple RubberFab gaskets, and some of them leech with ethanol, and some don't..... Also, I used to always get the cinnamon-smelling Viton from RubberFab. Haven't smelled that shit in a couple years, thankfully....

HWY36: I personally like PTFE. It is easier to clean (I like acetone) and it actually holds its form at 12" lol. Viton is easier to create a seal with due to its elasticity. PTFE can deform more easily, so those gaskets might just need more frequent replacing. As long as you handle them well, they should last a few months of daily use.

Check out "envelope" style gaskets. You can get them so that the PTFE that encases Viton rubber so it is easy to seal. Most people I know prefer those.