What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soil food web Drain to waste with amended coco

Timtimmay

I want to know if it's possible to do a drain to waste coco grow with amendments mixed into the coco as to promote the soil food web and have all of the benefits of flavor and healthy plants that come along with it. I'm open to any fertilizer regimen and don't mind brewing teas constantly.

Has anyone tried something like this? If I wanted to do it where would I start?

I would use some tupur(or pure coco) base and mix with high quality Earthworm castings as well as some other dry amendments/innoculants? Maybe more perlite? I enjoy the flavor of organic soil and don't want to sacrifice that to get the growth of coco

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Drain to waste should leach most of the additions' benefits away rather quickly if you really want to do DTW.

:2cents:

mushroombrew

Veteran
As long as you can control the runoff it will work. So a drip system on a timer.
You only want a small amount of run off daily. For me that's no more than 1/2 - 1G per day in a 4x4 tray. I just adjust how often the pump comes on. As they get bigger the time "on" has to increase too so you still get runoff.

If you hand water and are not careful you will leach away lots of goodies in a light coco mix.

But honestly you could run a mix like that and just water like soil.

Why do you want to do DTW?

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Some dolomite lime or oyster shell will provides lots of calcium and magnesium. I'm a huge fan of a product called Recharge by RealGrowers. It's the king of biological inoculations and you only need 1/4 of a teaspoon per gallon every 7-10 days.

-Funk

Timtimmay

Drain to waste is nice because I can feed more times per day, but I would rather not resort to using straight bottled nutrients. Something in the middle maybe? I also really enjoy the flavor of some good soil herb that tastes as good from the first to last hit of the bowl

Apache123

So what I like to do is run pure Canna Coco with MaxiBloom all the way through veg and as I flip to flower I start to cycle AACT one day then organic Fert one day then PH'ed water the next day then Maxibloom the next day. As I get closer to harvest I cut out Maxibloom completely and end up with a finished product that, as many state, tastes like Organic soil grown.

Best wishes,

Timtimmay

Thanks I appreciate the input. All that I'm really looking for is an improved flavor over straight hydro, and hopefully to help innoculate some bacteria and fungus into the roots every now and then if that will even help? I know tricoderma can live in High EC environments

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Granger2 runs closer to organic, using EarthJuice, though I am unsure if he amends the medium.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
The Earth Juice Sugar Peak line is amazing. EJ just came out with a new line specifically made for Coco that has Grow/Bloom both have parts A&B.

-Funk

Latest posts

Latest posts