What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anti-Cannabis Propoganda.

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Marijuana devasted Colorado" is the same kind of hypocrite sentence as " Guns kill people" ...

People from Colorado devasted Colorado ... and people kill people .

(They are lacking a litlle piece of coast to get a cool sea bath during summer .)

More seriously " poison control calls, and emergency room visits. " .
Accidents with edibles and concentrated stuffs ?
I never had any matters like this in 25 years smoking.
( And I started making HBO early in 2002 . )

WOW . And STUDENTS discovered weed with legalization ? They never had some before ? LOL facking LOL . Speaking about youth to sensibilize the audience . Perhaps we didn't get the humoristic side of this one .

The real problem you can see threw this article is how people need to be WISE, MATURE and EDUCATED in front of marijuana and his NEW MARKET.
Weed is not the problem, what people do with is .
Legalization is quite new, and for now it is "just after prohibition + gold rush" effects . Every change in society needs time .

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hmm that study doesn't stand much headwind I'd say.
Even in itself doubts are admitted.
Increased risk because the sympathic nervous system is engaged ? That's stupid. Also, I've smoked a lot of strains where quite the opposite is the case, the parasympathic system takes over and your'e chilling hard on the couch ;-)
Oh, and how come you sometimes semi-black out when abruptly getting up after a smoking session ?
So much for increased blood pressure hahaha

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Hmm that study doesn't stand much headwind I'd say.
Even in itself doubts are admitted.
Increased risk because the sympathic nervous system is engaged ? That's stupid. Also, I've smoked a lot of strains where quite the opposite is the case, the parasympathic system takes over and your'e chilling hard on the couch ;-)
Oh, and how come you sometimes semi-black out when abruptly getting up after a smoking session ?
So much for increased blood pressure hahaha

I agree there are parasympathetic stimulating and upregulating strains.
But if you're experiencing semi-black outs when abruptly getting up after a session, you may have orthostatic hypotension...and that may have nothing to do with weed.
I don't know you personally, but if you're curious about this phenomenon, take your blood pressure when laying down, then when sitting and then again after standing.
If you have a drop of 20 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) in your systolic blood pressure or a drop of 10 mm Hg in your diastolic blood pressure within two to five minutes of standing up you've got it.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree there are parasympathetic stimulating and upregulating strains.
But if you're experiencing semi-black outs when abruptly getting up after a session, you may have orthostatic hypotension...and that may have nothing to do with weed.
I don't know you personally, but if you're curious about this phenomenon, take your blood pressure when laying down, then when sitting and then again after standing.
If you have a drop of 20 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) in your systolic blood pressure or a drop of 10 mm Hg in your diastolic blood pressure within two to five minutes of standing up you've got it.

Thank for the hint, Access, but it happens irrgeulary and not a lot. It's less a blackout but more of a dizzy feeling that lasts for a couple seconds when getting up from a "horizontal position" hahaha. Had my heart checked the other day because of stomething else, I guess it would have shown during the preformance tests they make you do ?
In the end I believe there are both effects to be found in cannabis, maybe they even have something to do with the old sativa/ indica or better ndl/wdl discussion. Some get you amped, others get you nice and chill...
But coming back to the article, and these are my 5cts, once thing is certain: It can in no way be said that cannabis in general causes hypertension.
CC

accessndx

Veteran
I could be wrong Chev, I'm not a cardiologist but cardiac stress testing is looking primarily at how the heart responds to exercise. Whereas we're gonna get info. about hr, bp, o2, etc, it's not necessarily going to include the same sorts of movements or activities which promote hypotension. In fact, they often give folks drugs that will cause the opposite effect (specifically if the person cannot exercise during the test) to increase heart rate.
To look at orthostatic hypotension we use either the mechanism I described in the prior post, or ideally a "tilt table", where the person can be lying down and the table can be manipulated on an incline to invert the patient. By messing with orientation to gravity we can see the effects on your blood pressure.

Anyway, you're right....sometimes I get a swimmy head from taking a huge hit....enough to make my knees buckle and almost pass out (good times). That's less to do with blood pressure, and more to do with dank0sity!!!

As far as cannabis causing hypertension: folks HAVE hypertension for reasons OTHER than cannabis...like sodium, and prescription medication, and stress, and the list goes on.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
In this thread I would like us all to look at and evaluate the main-stream-media's anti-cannabis stance by fielding reports/articles that are negative towards cannabis and cannabis users.

To get the proverbial ball rolling on this, here is a Reuters article claiming that 'Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study'

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-marijuana-hypertension-idUSKBN1AP0JS

''LONDON (Reuters) - People who smoke marijuana have a three times greater risk of dying from hypertension, or high blood pressure, than those who have never used the drug, scientists said on Wednesday.

The risk grows with every year of use, they said.

The findings, from a study of some 1,200 people, could have implications in the United States among other countries. Several states have legalized marijuana and others are moving toward it. It is decriminalized in a number of other countries.

"Support for liberal marijuana use is partly due to claims that it is beneficial and possibly not harmful to health," said Barbara Yankey, who co-led the research at the school of public health at Georgia State University in the United States.

"It is important to establish whether any health benefits outweigh the potential health, social and economic risks. If marijuana use is implicated in cardiovascular diseases and deaths, then it rests on the health community and policy makers to protect the public."

Marijuana is also sometimes used for medicinal purposes, such as for glaucoma.

The study, published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, was a retrospective follow-up study of 1,213 people aged 20 or above who had been involved in a large and ongoing National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. In 2005–2006, they were asked if they had ever used marijuana.

For Yankey's study, information on marijuana use was merged with mortality data in 2011 from the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics, and adjusted for confounding factors such as tobacco smoking and variables including sex, age and ethnicity.

The average duration of use among users of marijuana, or cannabis, was 11.5 years.

The results showed marijuana users had a 3.42-times higher risk of death from hypertension than non-users, and a 1.04 greater risk for each year of use.

There was no link between marijuana use and dying from heart or cerebrovascular diseases such as strokes.

Yankey said were limitations in the way marijuana use was assessed -- including that researchers could not be sure whether people had used the drug continuously since they first tried it.

But she said the results chimed with plausible risks, since marijuana is known to affect the cardiovascular system.

"Marijuana stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, leading to increases in heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen demand," she said.

Experts not directly involved in the study said its findings would need to be replicated, but already raised concerns.

"Despite the widely held view that cannabis is benign, this research adds to previous work suggesting otherwise," said Ian Hamilton, a lecturer in mental health at Britain's York University.''

Reporting by Kate Kelland, editing by Jeremy Gaunt

What a load of unmitigated CLAP-TRAP!

I don't see how they believe they reached any valid conclusions at all from this.

They looked at a study of 1,200 people who admitted to smoking pot 12 years ago, they did not say how much, or how long they smoked, they did not even include data to say if they were still smoking. They claim, death by high blood pressure but found no correlation between heart disease or strokes.

So what exactly are they claiming these people died from?

Hypertension in and of itself does not kill you. They don't say what killed them exactly. How many died from "hypertension" vs the average? Was this sample of 1,200 people random or where they picked back then for other factors? So far I can't see this as anything other than a scary study. The bias of the researchers also shows up in their interview on other sites. They made many assumptions and stated opinion as fact over and over. Furthermore, I have not been able to find out who paid for this study or even the most basic estimates on validity.

Very sloppy work and almost certainly a group who went looking for data points within a study to reach a preconceived conclusion. How much did they "massage" the data to reach this conclusion? Clearly quite a bit considering that they say "hypertension" not related to heart conditions or stroke.

By far the most common deaths from hypertension are in fact heart attacks and strokes and in a study this small if you remove the deaths from heart attack or stroke you are going to be left with a very very small number of people who could possibly have died from hypertension unrelated to heart attacks or stroke..... So it's likely they found a subset of data where 3 or 4 people died from something that might have been related to hypertension in the pot smokers and only 2 or 3 died on average from..... So you are really only looking at 1 or 2 extra people and you will always find that kind of statistical variation in a small group when looking at an even smaller portion of the whole.

I would suggest that this will be yet another "study" that proves to be unrepeatable in any actual scientific examination, which this clearly is not. But it will be cited by people even though it's yet to be peer reviewed or repeated in any way at all. Which of course is what has actually happens with practically every single piece like this. And confirmation bias being what it is, people who want to believe pot is going to kill you will believe this well after it's been debunked.

Sad but TRUE!

Just because some one publishes something don't make it true. I'd like to know when and where this "study" was done and details. I'm sure there have been other stories like this over the years. Until it's legal and freely unbiased tests/studies can be done, for all we know these effects they mention are from the pesticides that the Government sprayed on the plants while they where growing and flowering. Or that they didn't spray something on the test samples to make the results come out how they wanted.

geneva_sativa

who would you believe ? the u.s. government and its controllers and their mouthpiece / force-feeding mindmeld-apparatus aka the media. . .

or holy men and women of thousands of years ?

fuck the wannabe control freaks, their mask is wearing thin

rolandomota

Heres one about kids and edibles https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/14/health/marijuana-intoxication-children-france-study/index.html be responsible if you have edibles and if a kids eats some accidentally dont worry they wont die but you will get in trouble thats for sure just saying dont be stupid do NOT! go to the emergency Room or call poison control calm the fuck down and stop leaving your stash in places where kids can get to it. Where are all the dead kids? Nowhere thats where yet people die from prescription "medication" all the time. Its safe to say this E.R. increase is no big deal its just a consequence of increased adult use but some weed haters love to blow this out of proportion

Last edited:

accessndx

Veteran
Ate gummies made with about 2.0 grams flower equivalent of R.S.O. last night. Didn't check my bp, hr or 02 then....but this am: I'm easily 10-15bpm lower than I am in the morning...AND I drank coffee...

oldchuck

Veteran
For some strange reason your BP is always higher in the morning then at night. I check mine several times a day.

accessndx

Veteran
Re-confirming the results I had previously shared:

My HR is typically somewhere around 90 all the time. It can get bumped to over 100, which was concerning me because elevated HR for extended periods is no bueno...

But I digress.....my HR today 77. Yesterday it was about the same.

This is WITH lots of coffee. This is the result of eating those gummies in my prior post.

I have had reduced HR, BP and increased O2 for 2 days following my edible.

Plus I feel like a million bucks.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Hypertension? Heh. My blood pressure is down 10 points from when I retired nearly 4 years ago & came back to cannabis after decades of being away... And I drink more coffee than ever & smoke too many cigarettes, too...

I'm still waiting for reefer madness to break out... Maybe I can get laid...

accessndx

Veteran
I don't want to say it's hypertension, because my blood pressure is not always elevated.
There are times where my BP is elevated as well however.
I'd say that typically because of morning and job related stress both are elevated in the AM, and things chill by about 2pm.

Having said that, I've noticed that smoking, vaporizing etc. causes transient elevations in all those departments as well.

However, I've also noticed the opposite effect later after use...and definitely major changes in all those values a day after eating potent edibles.

As I mentioned before, I've been watching my vitals since Sunday after eating about 800mg of eddies throughout the day....about 400mg at 6am, then another 400mg around 6pm. I walked around in a daze mostly that Sunday....but Monday I was walking around in that post-edible dreamlike state, and today Tuesday I'm still coming around....a bit more animated but still relaxed.

The verdict can still be out for other folks, but for me cannabis is medicine of the highest form, I've used it for pain, muscle spasm, and a plethora of other things...but it's evident that it has a positive cardiovascular effect on me when eaten.

bigAl25

Veteran
I just sent a letter via NORMAL to AAA calling bullshit on their propaganda against cannabis. Fuck them all, I'm still alive after consuming cannabis for over 49 years, Hell look at Willie Nelson. We can't stop the liars, but we can call them out and few organizations like NORMAL help us do that.

M

moose eater

There's currently a television commercial running in Alaska (*where we're facing municipal elections re. banning licensed commercial production and sales within various locations).

The commercial begins with presentation of statistics in a fairly 'cleansed' or sterile (collegiate?) looking stage setting, and claims that "35% of (highway accidents) are caused by 'drugged driving.' (*Never mind that, technically speaking, and despite biases held by many, ALCOHOL IS A DRUG!!)

Meanwhile, the stage scene quickly shifts to include a fairly sizable (in contrast to the screen) burning joint super-imposed at the bottom of the screen, implying without stating it, that the drug they're talking about is cannabis.

Their actual wording in the commercial is broad-based, referring to 'drugged-driving' as all-inclusive, or ALL drugs..

Then they describe Alaska's "35 drug recognition experts" (mostly State Troopers) roving the highways. The ad ends with "Drive high, get a DUI."

Many locations/states have acknowledged that a positive urinalysis test doesn't inherently translate into evidence of intoxication, with the exception of those states that suffer 'per se' laws'. In fact, with the nature of THC and metabolizing, even blood tests can be drawn into question with expert witness testimony.

Furthermore, not withstanding gullible jurors/judges, their drug recognition experts, in reality, if scrutinized in an evidentiary hearing, and shy of the driver blurting out, "I'm HIGH as a mutha!!!" on a recording of the stop, fall one step shy of saying, "My magic 8-ball was asked if you're driving under the influence of a substance, and if so, which substance, and it responded "Yes; cannabis."

Funny how these ads often pop up immediately before some delicate question is to be asked of the public...

M

moose eater

From the Fairbanks Daily News Miner:

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local...cle_31815f2c-8972-11e7-85a7-f339093b0612.html

http://www.newsminer.com/opinion/le...cle_8093a54e-8d40-11e7-ab68-6bcd2a8e5741.html

Odor of growing marijuana causes headaches and nausea?

And here I though cannabis was often used to alleviate the pains of headaches and nausea…

The letter writer claims in the second link that none of her neighbors or herself received any notice of the commercial grow operation going in, but I live very near a commercial operation, and I've received notices when they recently applied for a license and permit to operate a specific type of facility that furthers the efforts of their already existing 'production' (growing) license(s).

Additionally, many of these outdoor farmers are using ruteralis crosses, to take advantage of auto-flowering in our shorter grow season. It's alleged that many of these crosses are less pungent.

Then there was an allegation related to this specific producer, that the headaches and nausea were related to pollen. There is no significant amount of pollen in these operations that are utilizing FEMALE plants.

And the area in question is zoned either GU-1 and/or Agricultural, meaning they are EXACTLY where they're supposed to be, if not for the NIMBY mentality.

I know that the smell of cannabis truly offends some. I've spoken with them.

The Golden Arches reminding me of globalism and corporatism offends me, but hasn't permitted me to stop the building of the next Micky D's. Red-neck bumper stickers offend me, but it hasn't allowed me to remove them. And ignorance offends me, but it hasn't permitted me to do away with all of those who sport that personal attribute..

You get the drift.....

oldchuck

Veteran
It seems similar to me to the people who bitterly oppose wind energy development. All the renewable energy arguments that can be made make no difference to them. They imagine noise and health grievances. No cure for it.

Satyros

The commercial begins with presentation of statistics in a fairly 'cleansed' or sterile (collegiate?) looking stage setting, and claims that "35% of (highway accidents) are caused by 'drugged driving.' (*Never mind that, technically speaking, and despite biases held by many, ALCOHOL IS A DRUG!!)

My father lived in Alaska for a few years, and there was an incident on the...Pan-American Highway, I think it is or was called. A drunk driver veered into his lane, so they had a head-on collision. He received a permanent, massive scar of a huge slash straight across the throat. Looks like the guy to whom you'd say, oh, so you survived the pirate battle?

Growing up around that scar told me plenty about alcohol, so, this kind of inflammatory ad can remain meaningless from my point of view.