What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I Can't Figure This Out

LBones

Hi all, new user here, long time reader. Hoping for a bit of advice if anyone has any insight on the issues I'm having.

I've had about 8 good runs, mainly from seed, got some good clones once, but haven't had too much success since. I generally have issues 4-5 weeks into flowering, but nothing that does enough harm to spoil me from hefty crops. I always considered my strong suit the seedling and veg stage, but lately that doesn't seem to be the case. I've started a few separate batches over the past month that all have for the most part failed(about 30 seeds and i have 2 plants that are growing ok).

I've been kicking myself for what I presumed were problems caused by me being lazy, but now on my 3rd batch of seeds(my sweet money) I'm at my wits end.

The seedlings basically get two sets of true leaves(less than 2 weeks in) and then show leaf tip burn, rapidly yellow then basically cease growth.

At first I thought the soil was too hot because it probably was(FFOF for seedlings...lazy!). I tossed the seedlings when they pretty much stopped growing.

Next batch same thing, but I used a generic, weak soil mix bought from the garden centre, which they use to start all their vegetable seedlings. Ph is always between 6.5-6.8 when watered, no feed given because I never have and not had problems.

3rd batch. I give up. I bought miracle grow seed mix... I just want some seedlings to survive! Alas, same thing.

My temps are good, they're in a closet under 2 fluorescent tubes, humidity fine, fan on while light is, door open so it doesn't get stuffy.

I'm clearly not good at being concise, but any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Speed of green

what are you starting your seedlings in?

get some water and note the ph and e.c, pour a small amount through a dixie cup of your medium, check the runoff ph and ec. your soil mix may be too hot.

Rastak'

If you are in soil you bought in a garden shop, no need to check E.C and PH, the problem is not here.

You don't have to feed your plants during the first month (20 days mini) if you use this sort of soil. So the problem is not here.

Tell me if the 2 survivors grows well ?? Do they have yellow leaves too ?

I see 2 options :
- Over-watered
- COV (french term because i don't know how you call it in english) It means, literrally, Volatile organic compounds. You said you grew plants with success before. Did you add something in your grow room ? (plywood, linoleum, etc...)
-

LBones

The 2 survivors, meh, not so vigorous. Haven't changed anything in the room either.

I guess over watering is a possibility, but you know, I feel the weight of the pot and only water when they're light.

Thanks both very much for the input, I may check the ph and ec of the run off just out of curiosity.

I'm starting to panic as I've basically been able to smoke as much as I want for 6 years and now apparently I can't keep a plant alive for more than 2 weeks! Maybe it's a sign that I need a break lol

ozzieAI

Veteran
i had a similar experience when i used a hot batch of soil for my seeds to start off with...2 made it the others were toast...

Speed of green

If you are in soil you bought in a garden shop, no need to check E.C and PH, the problem is not here.

You don't have to feed your plants during the first month (20 days mini) if you use this sort of soil. So the problem is not here.

Tell me if the 2 survivors grows well ?? Do they have yellow leaves too ?

I see 2 options :
- Over-watered
- COV (french term because i don't know how you call it in english) It means, literrally, Volatile organic compounds. You said you grew plants with success before. Did you add something in your grow room ? (plywood, linoleum, etc...)
-

Because everything that comes from the grow store is perfect. no need to double check anything.

ITS ALL GOOD

Its probably something like offgassing or fusarium, maybe aliens.

We should guess randomly with no real information to base our assumptions on.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Do you have any pest problems like fungus gnats or any devious little bastards that may inhibit seeds and or seedlings from making it? That my theory

beanacrz

You never now what you'll get from garden store dirt. Maybe fine for vegetables, but cannabis is different. I use 2 parts "Promix BP" mixed with 1 part perilite when I transplant.

I think your pH is way out of range, it should be around 5.7, try starting in rockwool cubes. I keep my plants in rockwool till they are about 8-12 inches before moving to promix. Rockwool is inert and your seedlings will only get what you feed them.

You could have a pathogen you keep spreading to new batches. Throw away the cheap stuff like trays and domes and replace. Everything else should be cleaned with 10% bleach solution or H2O2.

LBones

Some pics of the latest batch, at 2 weeks. Looking good but showing similar signs.

Attachments

• IMG_1692.jpg
    IMG_1692.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 7

LBones

Nothing but 6.5ph water so far, light soul mix, sterilised pots and equipment. If anyone has any input from pics in last post, would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy that they seem vigorous, just nervous as 2-3 are showing these signs again and they turn quickly from past experience.

LBones

More pics a few days later.......

Attachments

• IMG_1695.jpg
    IMG_1695.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1696.jpg
    IMG_1696.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1697.jpg
    IMG_1697.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 5