What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HPA Aeroponics for Commercial Production

whereisbrianV.

Laws are laws and the units were tested in a state that would frown upon a 10,000 cannabis plant grow.

Plus cannabis is easy to grow and has adapted to CEA. We grew only organic heirloom seeds that proved much more of a challenge than growing cannabis.

There is a larger facility that will be installing cubix to grow cannabis in the seattle area. Clone to flower to drying all on the same panel, and only using up 4 sqft of their 502 canopy space to grow 64 sqft of plants.

Using cubix a tier 1 could out produce a tier 3.

Me2

At the heart of our patent is the clog-free, air atomized nozzles that deliver the perfect nutrient mist every time.
Clone to harvest maybe 10,000 cubic feet of medical quality compressed air per panel?

DrFever

Veteran
Laws are laws and the units were tested in a state that would frown upon a 10,000 cannabis plant grow.

Plus cannabis is easy to grow and has adapted to CEA. We grew only organic heirloom seeds that proved much more of a challenge than growing cannabis.

There is a larger facility that will be installing cubix to grow cannabis in the seattle area. Clone to flower to drying all on the same panel, and only using up 4 sqft of their 502 canopy space to grow 64 sqft of plants.

Using cubix a tier 1 could out produce a tier 3.

Again were talking funny stuff if you tested then where are the pictures anyone can talk the talk are we closet growing here who gives a shit 4 sq feet 502 canopy space for there 64 Sq feet of plant :) wtf dude annd let me guess your tested yields are 25 pounds harvests right ???

queequeg152

Veteran
beyond a few very specific crops, its just not worth pursing due to the marginally better growth.

the equipment needed and the control system is fairly costly, and it does not scale well.

its also difficult to accomidate very large root masses with this sort of system.

it CAN be done... and it CAN be a superior system, but a simpler low bulkdensity medium + fertigation system is much more cost effective and scales to very large plant numbers far more favorably.

im not just shitting on HPaero btw... i ran a small system for a year or so. its fun and all, but beyond cloning i dont think its terribly compelling.

Sam&Max

what you mean, beyond cloning it isn't compelling?
What hydroponic system can you recommend to me, as someone who wants to do sea of green with around 25 to 50 plants? I want to have it running full year, with a motherplant and harvest approx every two months. So a system with low maintenance effort needed would be good.

Sam&Max

This Private Message count function of 50 is so shitty. Is there any way to contact the thread opener, as I have some questions to him...???

queequeg152

Veteran
hp aero is limited by the root mass in most cases. there are ways around this for sure, but most implementations of HP aero always seem to devolve into a thin film grow system as roots either hit the bottom of a container, or become so dense that the center of the root mass dies as the root mass begins to approach the emitters.

cloning is so short in duration that it this just cannot happen.

far as a large number of smallish plants... theres many ways to do this that do not have the same limitations or complications of HP aero.

rockwool slabs are my favorate personally, but the consumable cost is significant to me... but i dont grow cannabis personally.

i have had amazing growth with toms in slabs... really astonishing growth, but for the 110 bucks i spent on rockwool i can buy like a yard of coco+ perlite and run like 33- 7 gallon staked grow bags.

if you are looking for dead stupid simple... look at rockwool slabs + flood trays imo. pretty much impossible to fuck up, but imho slabs work better with a drip fertigation system.

queequeg152

Veteran
I still dont understand, what you mean by that. Could you explain?

Also, what else could you recommend beside rockwool?

again roots in these large woody plants can and will expand untill they take up every bit of room available...

in an open air environment( unlike in soil), the roots tend to seek the emitters eventually.

you also get big ropy roots running straight downward hitting the bottom.

think about a bell shaped mass of roots that is growing downward and outwards at the same time... eventually the center of this bell shape will tend to die off as its starved of air circulation and moisture.

the death of the roots in the center( imho) is not necessarily that bad... but it will continue to grow untill the emitters are literally blocked up rock hard masses of roots.

once they are blocked, the system acts like an NFT system

is there ways to avoid this problem? Yea definatly.

Is it worth the hassle? probably not. this is HP aero in a nut shell.

far as alternatives to rockwool? like i said, i use peat or coco with 50% perlite. very very low bulk density with lots and lots of oxygen. its a very good medium, though not as convenient as 10" rock wool slabs, but its much cheaper.

queequeg152

Veteran
I still dont understand, what you mean by that. Could you explain?

Also, what else could you recommend beside rockwool?

cloning is simply establishing roots on a cutting... its only going to spend 10 days or so inside the cloning rig hence you dont have to worry about the roots taking over and blocking the emitters.

Akash

Thanks for disseminating both knowlege and wisdom

Thanks for disseminating both knowlege and wisdom

Why dont you try and then let us know how we can help you with a problem you run into... I wouldnt be wasting my time trying to get so much awareness out if I didnt think it would really help the future of our industry

Thanks MadLab, for your visionary approach. I'm a newbie from India, who took Voluntary Retirement from a covenanted govt. job to do aeroponics with a belief that it's an absolute necessity for the future world. Hence this forum is my first step to the required learning curve; at present I'm in the early DIY stage of experiment. So I salute other members at the outset and clear the fact that I'm here to learn from you guys. :tiphat:

Akash

Why dont you try and then let us know how we can help you with a problem you run into.

Not sit here and say its not possible. This isnt helping anyone. We already know how awesome and balanced HPA can be if engineered right.

I wouldnt be wasting my time trying to get so much awareness out if I didnt think it would really help the future of our industry.

I am already successful in most areas of this industry, I dont need to really argue if this works or not...

Didnt I see you in the rollitup thread as well? Listen to Atomizer, he knows HPA and can tell you what you can really expect from it.

If you do decide to pull the trigger(again? maybe?), we would love for you to be apart of a true discussion about HPA and maybe we could dial in some commercial systems together ;)
Thanks MadLab, for your visionary approach. I'm a newbie from India, who took Voluntary Retirement from a covenanted govt. job to do aeroponics with a belief that it's an absolute necessity for the future world. Hence this forum is my first step to the required learning curve; at present I'm in the early DIY stage of experiment. So I salute other members at the outset and clear the fact that I'm here to learn from you guys.

Latest posts

Latest posts