What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VbTx's

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
A thread for sharing your VietnamBlackThai crosses

These are the three ladies I got from 5 seeds, a (mosca negra) C99bx1 x VbT cross- exactly at 8 weeks from seed. They'll be reverted back to veg, mommified, and clones taken for flowering out, beginning sometime in September.

The C99 mom I chose was a 11-12 week long-flowerer (for a Cindy), and had a Juicy Fruit gum sweetness instead of a dominating grapefruitiness- I was hoping to bring out more of the VbT's flavors with this cross, especially the strawberry.

So far, stem-rubbing reveals a cheese smell on one, that Old Spice aftershave spiciness on another (my OE had this smell), and the third having a bit of a mix.

The leaves look a bit Cindy, but narrower when you compare them to other C99bx1 grows on the Mosca forum. They're also a bit darker in person than these pics show. Stems are more robust than either parent's.

2wqsbhg.jpg

31364qd.jpg

10ef0y1.jpg

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
After I harvested my Purple Cindy (OregonPurpleThai x C99 - Highgrade Seeds) this spring I noticed a seedling popping up from the pot, so I vegged it out and sexed it. The Purple Cindy was pollenated by a Johnny Blaze, a NepJam, and a VbT- but I didn't know which of the three fathered the mystery seedling. She's looking very VbT influenced now (and is all mommified, ready for clones to be taken)...

9vdpfl.jpg

2ep5xcy.jpg

Compared to the C99bx1 cross in the post above, this cross looks much more VbT influenced. Could it be because the VbT is an F3 and the Purple Cindy was an F1? And because the C99bx1 was so highly inbred, was that the reason her presence over-rode the VbT more in that cross (at least, appearance-wise)?

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Lol those are some strong looking plants man.
Good luck :thank you:
Thanks, g0v.
The C99bx1xVbT cross' stem-diameters/strength and internode length had me expecting them to be male. Nothing like the wispy stems of VbT, or even of any of the C99bx1s I've grown out. They were keeping up in size (leaf-size and INL) with a NevillesHaze-leaning NHMango that eventually turned dude.
I've got quite a few more of these seeds, so if I like what I get I'll explore further. We're calling her Hanoi Cindy/Barbarella in our grow circle. :biggrin:

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Did you top that mystery seedling?
Hopefully it will produce something that you will enjoy.
Happy oily farming...:)
Troll alert! :biggrin:
Welcome to the "over here", OF.
Yes, she was topped and trained to be a bonsai mum.
Both she and the C99bx1's were pollenated with the same VbT dad.
Didn't get the explosion of robustness seen in the C99bx1xVbT cross.
Looking forward to seeing how the OregonPurpleThai component of the
mom influences the final flavor/effect.

see ya :)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi LowFalutin, your plant could have some resemblance with Vietnam Black Thai but can not guarantee 100 %, especially if the mother was pollinated by other 2 different strains too. Anyway it's always fun to make your own seeds and to explore 'mystery' crosses, wish you enjoy the grow, hopefully we can identify more traits during flowering time. Best wishes!

Hi LowF - in a previous post you described the effect of VbT as "chill, quiet, introspective". Since words are often subjective in meaning, one person from another, would you agree with dubi's description of "warm and expansive" as jiving with yours, or is the chill, quiet aspect a disturbing, negative one, like a feeling one might get while standing in an abandoned house alone at night where someone's been murdered?

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Hi LowF - in a previous post you described the effect of VbT as "chill, quiet, introspective". Since words are often subjective in meaning, one person from another, would you agree with dubi's description of "warm and expansive" as jiving with yours, or is the chill, quiet aspect a disturbing, negative one, like a feeling one might get while standing in an abandoned house alone at night where someone's been murdered?
Thanks for the clarifying question, E. And welcome to the forum, btw.

I'm doing VbT with a clean head this morning, and the curing that has taken place since I wrote what you were referring to has happied up her high. I also detect a bit less sativa evergy. I could almost go back to bed, but with a warm smile.
(edit: volcano digit set to 185C for sampling)

I like your description of a chill, quiet aspect... cinematic. :biggrin: It's interesting how some strains can inject euphoria, while some just seem to suck it out. And if your senses are also heightened it just makes it that much worse.

cheers

Thanks for the welcome, LF. What interested me about the VbT was dubi's "warm and expansive" comment, and Nirrity's description of a "constant serene presence", two qualities I really like in an experience. There are a couple of strains I'd like to add that dimension to, if possible, don't know if the VbT would work for that as reports of it's effects seem kind of ambiguous. Might have to pick it up and see how it hits me, though, never can tell, personal chemistry and all.....

bigbag

Veteran
crossed up some old, first release version of VB x Meao Thai with my F14 IBL Texada Timewarp x Cambodian ( old viet vet, acclimatized IBL ). should bring the flowering time down, all while maintaining exotic integrity ;) went ape with the pollen and now have 5000 or so nice looking, tiger striped beans. same male TW/Cam had his way with Angolese x Meao Thai as well... Angolese x was done in 9 weeks of flower indoors and has good up buzz combined with noble wood and orange smells/tastes ;) may have 10 000 beans of this cross. needless to say, these special wares, will all be love and gifts, never for $

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Thanks for adding to the thread

Angolese x was done in 9 weeks of flower indoors and has good up buzz combined with noble wood and orange smells/tastes ;) may have 10 000 beans of this cross. needless to say, these special wares, will all be love and gifts, never for $

Buddy! :biggrin:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for the welcome, LF. What interested me about the VbT was dubi's "warm and expansive" comment, and Nirrity's description of a "constant serene presence", two qualities I really like in an experience. There are a couple of strains I'd like to add that dimension to, if possible, don't know if the VbT would work for that as reports of it's effects seem kind of ambiguous. Might have to pick it up and see how it hits me, though, never can tell, personal chemistry and all.....

Hi Expanserene,

Nirrity is correct, beautifully described :)

The original F1 Vietnam Black Thai released between 2008-2009 was quite vietnam black dominant, the effect was like her mum, warm expansive social effect, with interesting anti anxiety properties for a sativa. This is the kind of effect i've been breeding for Orient Express line too (vietnam black x chinese indica).

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
crossed up some old, first release version of VB x Meao Thai with my F14 IBL Texada Timewarp x Cambodian ( old viet vet, acclimatized IBL ). should bring the flowering time down, all while maintaining exotic integrity ;) went ape with the pollen and now have 5000 or so nice looking, tiger striped beans. same male TW/Cam had his way with Angolese x Meao Thai as well... Angolese x was done in 9 weeks of flower indoors and has good up buzz combined with noble wood and orange smells/tastes ;) may have 10 000 beans of this cross. needless to say, these special wares, will all be love and gifts, never for $

Hello bigbag, im glad you found the lines interesting enough for being used in your breeding projects ;) Hopefully you can make a fast flowering outdoor hybrid with good and strong sativa heritage.

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Just a quick update photo of, what seems to be, my most VbT-leaning pheno from the C99xVbT cross.
This is the only pheno that put out trichomes on the stems and leaves,
almost reminding me of a pheno of Panama DC I had awhile back.
Rubbing the leaves and stems gives a mildly-sweet strawberry smell.
Sorry about the large image size- just wanted the trich details to come through.
She's working her way back into veg.
cheers
bja884.jpg

Dubi, is the currently available VbT still fairly viet-dominant (warm and expansive), or has its effect changed over the years?

Lammy

hi
i just started some VBT.
I plan on using the males to pollinate a candy-sweet Shark Shock.

really I plan on making crosses to just about everything I got.
Including some Mandala & DJ Short gear.

peace.
Lammy

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Just a quick update photo of, what seems to be, my most VbT-leaning pheno from the C99xVbT cross.
This is the only pheno that put out trichomes on the stems and leaves,
almost reminding me of a pheno of Panama DC I had awhile back.
Rubbing the leaves and stems gives a mildly-sweet strawberry smell.
Sorry about the large image size- just wanted the trich details to come through.
She's working her way back into veg.
cheers
View Image

It's a very good sign to see such trichomes in main leaves and stems, how is the Vietnam Black Thai x c99 cross expressing now ?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Dubi, is the currently available VbT still fairly viet-dominant (warm and expansive), or has its effect changed over the years?

Hi Expanserene,

The previous Vietnam Black version was very vietnamese dominant, the hybrid is out of stock right now, i have been busy with other projects lately so i havent breed the hybrid further, indeed it has not been listed in our website this year. I guess some retailers should still have VB Thai packs in stock.

I'd also recommend you to explore the more vietnamese sativa phenos from Orient Express, i have OE seed lots that are very influenced by Vietnam Black mother if you are interested.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
hi
i just started some VBT.
I plan on using the males to pollinate a candy-sweet Shark Shock.

really I plan on making crosses to just about everything I got.
Including some Mandala & DJ Short gear.

peace.
Lammy

Hi Lammy, im glad you are thinking to use our sativas for your own home breeding. Let me know if i can help you with the selections. You can get an amazing outcome by crossing your favourite hybrid clones with wilder sativa genetics.