What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Co2 Extraction a reality!!!

whereisbrianV.

All in good time friends... this has been a long process.

The machinery for high pressure Co2 is very expensive, and with most applications the cost out weighs the benefits. I can understand why there is doubt about Co2 extracts, but I assure you.. YOU WILL SEE CO2 EXTRACT!! Not only that, but you will see it come out of this machine's still dump, leaving no doubt in peoples minds that Co2 extracts are very real.

BTW, This is the fourth Co2 extract machine that I have had the pleasure to work with, all of them similar sizes but poorly designed. We have learned from our mistakes and this machine is the pinnacle.

Some reading if interested
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT7344736

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
this machine should be in CA... dont seem like theres enough of a market in CO that will ever be able to recoup your costs for a machine that supposedly cost millions and millions of dollars...

hashcat88

cool pics of (not) hash.

anything labeled as co2 oil that i have smoked has been garbage compared to the best bho (which can be easily made for.....dollars)

i dunno......

whereisbrianV.

Here is some more great reading

http://www.probrewer.com/resources/hops/products.php

Supercritical CO2 is more selective than the organic solvents and extracts less of the tannins and waxes and less water and hence water-soluble components. It does extract some of the plant pigments like chlorophyll but rather less than the organic solvents do. liquid CO2 is the most selective solvent used commercially for hops and hence produces the most pure whole resin and oil extract. It extracts none of the hard resins or tannins, much lower levels of plant waxes, no plant pigments and less water and water soluble materials.

Comparing the extracts themselves the solvent residues are the main problem with the organic solvent extracts. Further, the heating of the extract to remove solvent markedly modifies the aroma profile.

This modification of the hop aroma profile also applies to some extent to supercritical CO2 extracts which are prepared at about 60º C. Supercritical CO2 also extracts less oil than does liquid CO2 but more than the organic solvent extracts. As mentioned, liquid CO2 extracts are the most pure whole resin extracts and moreover the low temperature extraction (5 - 10º C) results in an aroma profile most closely resembling that of the leaf hops from which they were prepared. The only real disadvantage of liquid CO2 extract compared to the others is that of its higher cost resulting from the lower extraction efficiency.

MIway

Veteran
anything labeled as co2 oil that i have smoked has been garbage compared to the best bho (which can be easily made for.....dollars)

i dunno......

have you tried the FSL stuff yet? it was clean... tried a couple of runs of theirs... the last batch actually started to have texture... not as watery. but yeah... they all seemed to lack a flavor as opposed to very clean bho, which stuck to the mouth. for that reason, seemed like the co2 would be better suited for tinctures & medibles... and bho for the smoke.

also... dunno... we shall see.

yah lets see some?,and how much does a gram cost . , is what everyone wants to know?????

do you get some kind of better more pure high?......

gotta wonder how much it cost for that thing?, you got ripped off doesn't even have a flux capacitor.....,amateur.....

Rickys bong

Veteran
Please prove me wrong but little about this is believable.

The first pic is supposed to be a 15cu. foot vessel.
No bloody way.
The inside of that chamber is maybe 1.5 cu foot, not 15. My deep freezer is 15 cu. feet.
The valves, pressure transducers and MVE dewar at the right of the first pic give a pretty good idea of scale.
My tests give between 8 and 12 pounds per cu. foot for lightly compressed plant matter.

The second pic is a 35 hp pump? I don't see a pump anywhere, and what do you need 600GPM for anyway? And the statement about sub-micron filtration doesn't make any sense. A filter capable of sub-micron filtering at 600gpm is going to be very large, and unnecessary for the application.

and... the third pic is supposed to be a 360gpm still? I see a vessel with a few pressure transducers. That ain't a still.

The patent you link to is the GW pharma patent for Sativex.

And then you link to an article on SUPER-critical processing of hops. WTF???

SUPER-critical and SUB-critical are very different things.
If you can link to an article about sub-critical extraction of anything I'd be impressed.

What is the purpose of the Dewar vessel?

The hardware you show, if custom made would cost between $500K and $750K US, probably more. The revenue needed to get any sort of ROI is going to be considerable, and I just can't see any sort of financial model making sense here. Who is going to take the risk this will generate enough revenue to break even, nevermind be profitable?

In closing, Please prove me wrong. It's just that my bullshit-O-meter went off scale when I started looking closely at this...

If you are confident enough with any IP in this to show pictures, show me a process diagram and I'll shut the hell up.

Peace.

hashcat88

Please prove me wrong but little about this is believable.

The first pic is supposed to be a 15cu. foot vessel.
No bloody way.
The inside of that chamber is maybe 1.5 cu foot, not 15. My deep freezer is 15 cu. feet.
The valves, pressure transducers and MVE dewar at the right of the first pic give a pretty good idea of scale.
My tests give between 8 and 12 pounds per cu. foot for lightly compressed plant matter.

The second pic is a 35 hp pump? I don't see a pump anywhere, and what do you need 600GPM for anyway? And the statement about sub-micron filtration doesn't make any sense. A filter capable of sub-micron filtering at 600gpm is going to be very large, and unnecessary for the application.

and... the third pic is supposed to be a 360gpm still? I see a vessel with a few pressure transducers. That ain't a still.

The patent you link to is the GW pharma patent for Sativex.

And then you link to an article on SUPER-critical processing of hops. WTF???

SUPER-critical and SUB-critical are very different things.
If you can link to an article about sub-critical extraction of anything I'd be impressed.

What is the purpose of the Dewar vessel?

The hardware you show, if custom made would cost between $500K and $750K US, probably more. The revenue needed to get any sort of ROI is going to be considerable, and I just can't see any sort of financial model making sense here. Who is going to take the risk this will generate enough revenue to break even, nevermind be profitable?

In closing, Please prove me wrong. It's just that my bullshit-O-meter went off scale when I started looking closely at this...

If you are confident enough with any IP in this to show pictures, show me a process diagram and I'll shut the hell up.

Peace.

baaaam

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you have an estimate of when you might have the equipment installed, smoke tested, and shaken out, so that you can share pictures bro?

It sounds like you have had hands on experience with super critical CO2, so perhaps you can help me rise above my ignorance

As a retired equipment and process design engineer with high pressure systems experience to 45 ksi, as well as cryogenic rare gas recovery systems, I quickly noticed how easy it would to achieve super critical state starting with liquid from a Dewar and adding heat.

Alas when I read some of the patents, it became clear that they weren't just soaking the material and then draining off the saturated CO2 for evaporation, they were pumping large volumes of fluid through the material for long periods of time.

Is that what you have found and if so, how about how many chamber volumes of super critical CO2 do you put through a typical batch and over what time frame?

Dkgrower

Veteran
Gotta agree with Ricky even tho i hate being the pesimistic, but the Gw link was so ..

But pls dont get me wrong i would love to eat my words..