What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

native american strains = american landrace weed?

troutman

Seed Whore
its true we are constantly learning new things.

last week the oldest evidence of baking bread was pushed back at least 4 thousand years before agriculture.

we know very little of our past

Actually bread was accidentally discovered shortly after when flour was discovered.
Some hooker got drunk and her pimp rolled her in flour to dry her off. The next morning
her yeast infection created a long bun in her oven. :biggrin:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
hemp for fiber in 1700 was much more active than modern varieties, and these ancient varieties adapted to the new environment by increasing thc, and local populations learned to select the best plants ...
recent studies have shown that the ritual dell'ayahuasca, considered ancient, began around 1400 ...

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
hemp for fiber in 1700 was much more active than modern varieties, and these ancient varieties adapted to the new environment by increasing thc, and local populations learned to select the best plants ...
recent studies have shown that the ritual dell'ayahuasca, considered ancient, began around 1400 ...

Medical research in the 1800s and 1900s were responsible for the drugvarieties you had there later not the hempvarieties.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mayans were growing Cannabis farms for use as tobacco as early as 1800B.C. (~4000 years ago) and they had long established trade routes through what is today all of North America.

The idea civilization arrived in the Americas 2-400 years ago is strange.

Where’s your proofs?

There are tons of mushroom art pieces but not a single piece of cannabis art in Myan & Aztec ruins.

If cannabis existed & was a significant crop, as it is just about everywhere it’s been followed (from the cradle of civilization), there would be some form of documentation to prove its existence in the area during that particular epoch.

This is one of the dumbest threads ever. Seriously.

There’s zero evidence of the ancient use of cannabis in the Americas. Meanwhile, there’s shitloads of evidence behind of ancient use of other psychoactive plants. San Pedro, Peyote, Ayahuasca, Tobacco, Psilocybin mushrooms, Salvia Divinorum, Belladonna...and on and on. If cannabis was used for its psychoactive properties, we would know about.

Also, all the talk of bird poop is idiotic. Yeah, some seeds can survive a birds digestive system. Does that mean cannabis seeds could cross the pacific or Atlantic? Hell no. Look at Madagascar, a large island very close to the mainland of Africa. It’s biodiversity is completely different, because migration events like that happen very rarely.

Like nearly all global plant species, cannabis was spread by humans. And all signs point to cannabis reaching the Americas quite recently.

/thread

xet

Trade routes between the east and west began as early as fifteen thousand years ago.

"but my government textbook would have told me that .. and I did not find it on google so easy .. ":laughing:

Visit your local Laiberee today

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Trade routes between the east and west began as early as fifteen thousand years ago.

"but my government textbook would have told me that .. and I did not find it on google so easy .. ":laughing:

Visit your local Laiberee today

I concur with your statement xet as google imho is very controlled as in what content we can access libraries or any other government type of place would be the best place to find reliable content pertaining to this as Jack Herer and his incredible team did when the emperor wears no clothes was being made they hunted everywhere and others like hugh hef may he rip and norml sued the gov to help acquire other sorts of content our government (usa) is very deceiving kinda like a snake that creeps in and paralyzes you before consuming you as prey

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excerpt from an interview of Dr. Ernest Small ( 1999):
link here

Do you know of any archeological record of pre-Columbian hemp in Canada or elsewhere in the New World?

This is a sensitive topic, since some Native Americans have contended that they have utilized Cannabis sativa as a source of "hemp fibre" since pre-Columbian days, and therefore should be exempted from current laws. Certainly almost all authorities subscribe to the belief that hemp is a native of Eurasia, not elsewhere. Curiously, the same was said about the hop plant (Humulus lupulus, the source of flavoring for beer), the nearest relative of Cannabis sativa. Until a few decades ago, it was believed that all wild hop plants growing in North America were simply escapes from cultivated hops imported to North America from Europe. However, fossil pollen has definitively shown that the hop plant was present in North America before mankind, and moreover my own research has shown that there are three distinctive varieties of the hop plant that occur only in North America. No one has shown the presence of pre-Columbian pollen of Cannabis sativa in North America, suggesting strongly that this species was introduced to the New World. The belief that Cannabis sativa was present in pre-Columbian North America likely originates from confusion over the ambiguous name "Indian hemp". The name Indian hemp has been loosely applied to the drug class of Cannabis sativa (i.e. subsp. indica), an allusion to the historical narcotic use in India. However, the name Indian hemp is also employed for the North American Apocynum cannabinum, which was used by native North Americans as a textile fibre plant. While all this is suggestive that Apocynum, not Cannabis, is the correct identification of ancient North American woven materials identified as "hemp" the situation has not yet been entirely clarified. There is currently considerable debate over the possibility of pre-Columbian voyages having resulted in intercontinental exchange of crops, and it is conceivable that Cannabis sativa (even if it is indigenous only to Eurasia) was transported to the New World well before Columbus, and indeed was adopted by native North American Indians. To settle the question, the fibre in authentic pre-Columbian North American "hemp" garments should be identified.
Which as yet to be done ( last sentence in bold)

W

Water-

This is one of the dumbest threads ever. Seriously.

There’s zero evidence of the ancient use of cannabis in the Americas. Meanwhile, there’s shitloads of evidence behind of ancient use of other psychoactive plants. San Pedro, Peyote, Ayahuasca, Tobacco, Psilocybin mushrooms, Salvia Divinorum, Belladonna...and on and on. If cannabis was used for its psychoactive properties, we would know about.

Also, all the talk of bird poop is idiotic. Yeah, some seeds can survive a birds digestive system. Does that mean cannabis seeds could cross the pacific or Atlantic? Hell no. Look at Madagascar, a large island very close to the mainland of Africa. It’s biodiversity is completely different, because migration events like that happen very rarely.

Like nearly all global plant species, cannabis was spread by humans. And all signs point to cannabis reaching the Americas quite recently.

/thread

"Like nearly all global plant species, cannabis was spread by humans."

thats not a dumb statement?

burningfire

Veteran
There are close to 400,000 plant species,
this has gone full retard.

How much of a dimwit are you that you do not understand the statement made?

It started from you guys trying to claim there there was trans-atlantic/pacific trades before columbus.. then you tried to move on to birds dispersing the seeds and posted research papers that did not actually support your hypothesis.

I'll be honest, I'm waiting for aliens to enter the picture. I heard they have you toke before they probe you.

troutman

Seed Whore
I'll be honest, I'm waiting for aliens to enter the picture. I heard they have you toke before they probe you.

a940e3effbbe7ed1d83abc894f1fbaa1.jpg

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Birds have enzymes to digest seeds.

Otherwise chickens and pigeons would have planted fields of corn by now. :biggrin:

G `day TM

Some birds eat gravel and sand which is collected in the crop .
They help crush seeds before they reach the stomach .
Not all birds do this .

Some birds eat seeds and pass them without damage . Some seeds have a symbiosis with the gut of birds and animals . They require to pass the digestive tract to germinate .

Ganja flowers and seed bracts are sticky . Ever had some stick to your clothes and discover it later at the supermarket ? lol .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^^ Let us all know when you find a field of truly wild Cannabis.

Rob Clark would probably be interested.

Latest posts

Latest posts