What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bootz garden of slothiness

S

shokdee

Thanks for the very detailed answer.

Any thoughts about Swazi or Malawi genetics?
Have you heard of the strain "pondo".
Is Coffee Bay still a hot spot for breeders?

More questions to follow, thanks so much, tekkies.
:thank you:

Shokdee

oldbootz

Veteran
Swazi is a very diverse strain. Because of the large amount of people cultivating this strain there is a huge difference between the different sources of swazi. It can come in many forms shapes sizes smells. Most of it is bad ganja grown by people who are trying to make a small living to feed their families and dont know how to keep their seed plant populations quality from decreasing each year. but occasionally from the right source you can find some really nice ones. they grow amazingly huge. one of my friends has a swazi tree growing right now thats about 8 foot high and still got about a month to finish flowering. the high from swazi is mostly introspective and often muddy in the head with red eyes and dry throat, lots of trippy and laughing feelings.

malawi is a bit different - these plants are quite elegant looking. they look like a more stable genotype then swazi. the tastes are more refined as well. large sativa yields are common with malawi and the potency is usually quite impressive. the seeds however tend to lose viability quite quickly compared to other landraces. i think this is a sign of artificial selection. malawi is not as urbanized as south africa and swazi land so i think the farmers there have still been able to keep their subsistance life styles without too much western influence, which is a good thing for land race cannabis.

oldbootz

Veteran
pondo is just another name for transkei so any strain called pondo is just weed grown in the transkei. from what i have gathered over the years there are 3 main varieties grown by the locals in the area. the transkei limegreens the transkei gold and the transkei red.

the limegreens are a quick flowering sativa that is loose and wispy in bud structure. they give a nice energetic effect when smoked, but the bud from these plants was cheap to buy.

the transkei gold is a very nice variety that we used to get where i live when i was younger. it was top price in the circles of people that knew good pot from bad pot. the taste was sweet and slightly citrus and the high was potent with snapshot camera vision if you know what i mean. nice bag appeal with brown green and golden colors.

the transkei red was my favorite. very refined savoury earthy taste, exquisite. the high was dreamy and happy with a certain special effect that i cant describe. almost like whatever you were doing at that point was of great importance and the things you were experiencing meant something. colors of the weed in the bag was dark greens oranges and red. the plants grown from these seeds had very intense dark green leaves.

oldbootz

Veteran
yes i believe that coffee bay still has many growers and hobby breeders. im not directly connected to anyone there but i hear through friends of friends.

S

shokdee

Donkey a google for all the info, lots to digest. About the Sky, now I C the Light: red, green & gold. OMG! Can I quote you on my Swazi thread (you remind me of someone I was going to quote?)

:kitty:

Any ideas about crossing SA with SEA strains? ACE have Golden Tiger, malawi x thai, which I'd love to grow. Do you have any good Malawi strains? And the Black Cheese (purpling), can you describe the high? I enjoy your descriptions, reminds me of Purple Clouds.

Good to meet you, Shokdee

S

shokdee

I'd heard that the Old Reds are now extinct, or nearly extinct. Soon all that'll be left are myths and legends around a bottle of Old Brown. The Red Sky ...
the high was dreamy and happy with a certain special effect that i cant describe. almost like whatever you were doing at that point was of great importance, and the things you were experiencing meant something. ... the taste was very refined savoury earthy taste, exquisite.
Did it remind you of biltong, or droewors? Is this the "rooibart" phenotype? Where does Red Beard come from? (I was told the OVS, Bloemfonteinboet.)

I'd love to work with you on an IBL line with only tropical SA genetics like DP, Pondo, Swazi, Lesotho, Malawi, Zim, Zamal, Congo, etc. Later we can cross the results with an IBL of SEA strains like Viet-Lao-Thai, Nepali, Bangladeshi & Pakistani. Totsiens, Shokdee

T!sotsis in T!oti
:friends:

Last edited:

oldbootz

Veteran
rooibaard was the name given to a certain variant of swazi. it was because it had masses of red hairs that when dried made buds that looked like snippings of a curly red beard. the swazi rooibaard is a light in weight when dried, but the transkei red is a more dense bud with not as many hairs. it is called red to differentiate it from the gold and greens, as it has a dark reddish brown look to it.

oldbootz

Veteran
i would love to make some land race selections. need to get my ass off the couch and start planting some seeds :)

MildeStoner

Veteran
Not much changed around here, familiar, homely. Good to see that DC X NL still alive and kicking in SA, same goes for the rest of your hobby breeding ;) Might just pull up a chair...

oldbootz

Veteran
howdy! long time since we spoke! nice to see you still lurking :)

this grow log is going to go nice and slowly with possibilities of some interesting things.

MildeStoner

Veteran
Yeah are some of the pictures on the first page really old and taken by that tuffgong dude? Think I recognise 'em from days of yore

oldbootz

Veteran
yea he's my buddy. share some grows with him. the black cheese was made by verdant green and the white russian and mazar were gifted to me by kushman.

oldbootz

Veteran
some new pics from today

Purple black cheese cuts rooted and growing nicely
picture.php

Mazar dominant cheesy russian showing some signs of nitrogen deficiency but this one is quite sensitive so im giving nutrients very slowly. still growing well though.
picture.php

Northern lights x Deep chunk my favorite one - with the NL dominance growing well.
picture.php

Jabbas stash cut going to be put into flower soon
picture.php

oldbootz

Veteran
looks like this northern lights x deep chunk is showing low yield like the original deep chunk but its got lots of frost already and a nice skunky woody smell
picture.php

blueberry dominant cherry chunk filling up nicely
picture.php

oldbootz

Veteran
some herbs and veggies

african spinach called "morogo" by the locals
picture.php

tumeric
picture.php

gooseberry seedling
picture.php