What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strain name? mid to late 80's in KY. seedlings would push through snow

D.D.

I am sure someone else remembers the strain, so i come over here to my own age group to seek help identifying a strain.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but i feel it is best to ask people from my own age group for help on this one.

Back in the mid to late 1980s there was a strain going around Kentucky that was a bit on the seedy side, but not too bad, about 30 seed in an ounce.

The smoke wasnt really too bad, but it wasnt exactly real good, lets just say that it done its job well.

The unique thing about the strain is that you could throw the seed directly on the ground any time of year and it would pop and root well on poor ground right after a good rain.

The seedlings would keep right on growing, even in heavy frost, and they would even push themselves right up out of the snow.

Can anyone remember such a strain, and by chance know the modern seedbank name for it?

Cool Moe

Veteran
Bro I'm pretty sure you're talkin' about good ole Kentucky bluegrass--sprouts like crazy, uniform leaf blades, even canopy, yep that's it, kentucky bluegrass fo sho.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
I've thrown red bud colombian in the snow and it would come up in the spring. You sure it wasn't hemp? Lots of it still in the ditches to this day. Check out Hemp Hill Road in Shelby Co. KY. Just west of the Waddy area. South side of I-64. Grows wild in the ditches and would make great rope, textile and what ever but it's illegal. My grandpa told me about growing it during the war. Less work than tobacco but not as much money.

D.D.

I have thought your question over for a long time Hank , and no , it wasn't hemp .
Whatever it was , it was pretty decent .
Now those seeds on the other hand . . . they could be the result of pollen of a nearby hemp field .

I'm starting to think she was M#1 though . . . Her seeds grew up to be as good as she .

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Ky bluegrass was around all the way back into the seventies. big sacks of big buds, not many seeds. it was all over Ft. Bragg in mid seventies. we got it off of our first shirt, lol! damn Goldenflow...:moon:

hyposomniac

I read an article in the early-mid 90s that said KY was at one time the largest domestic producer of drug cannabis. Idk if that's true but it so, there would probably some local gems

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I have a faint recollection of a strain grown up north that had similar qualities

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've seen photos of cannabis sprouting up through snow. I have a couple seed projects I've planned on doing a 'freeze' run with at some point. Make 20-30k seeds for throwing out in the fall. Anything which makes it through the late spring freezes around here would be keepers.

Definitely interested in where this rabbit hole goes. :) Ty.