What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

this may be a stupid question

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
Or, if Marijuana Pollen, can Pollinate any other plants... Possibilities are endless.. I know that Cat Nip is a Actual Relative of Cannabis Sativa. I have grown it. I wonder if similiar Genetic Plants. may be able to Cross Polenate, and maybe we just have yet to see it, because we are not looking for it? ive grown a lot of things around Female plants, but never male...

sso

Veteran
A good example of this would be quinoa. You have to be sure not to grow it near other plants such as lamb's quarters or spinach specifically BECAUSE they can cross so easily.

That said, I only know of C. sativa crossing with other closely related Cannabis species, such as ruderalis. I am hardly knowledgeable on this particular subject, but I think a Google Scholar search could net you some good, citable work, or papers that have cited others that you may be able to research.

now, when i said it aint possible.

well, everything is possibly possible, there might be a plant out there that would crosspollinate with cannabis.

but would there be any benefits and are you ready to perhaps spending your life, growing out thousands of plants of varying species and then trying to pollinate?

probably would have to spend all that time with your nose up one book or another too.

and here is the kicker.

even if you found a plant that was able to crosspollinate with cannabis, would you receive Any benefits from that crossing?

probably not.

but no dream should be squashed totally, no interest either.

if you really want , by all means go ahead, im just saying what i think you would be getting yourself into. :)

MJBadger

Veteran
I`m sure someone out there has x`d an mj with a condom , sometimes when i smoke i get really fooked up .

I seriously doubt that mj pollen would ever x to another plant of a different gene/species . If this were to happen in nature between different plants the whole world would be screwed .

Smoking Gun

Or, if Marijuana Pollen, can Pollinate any other plants... Possibilities are endless.. I know that Cat Nip is a Actual Relative of Cannabis Sativa. I have grown it. I wonder if similiar Genetic Plants. may be able to Cross Polenate, and maybe we just have yet to see it, because we are not looking for it? ive grown a lot of things around Female plants, but never male...

As far as I know the only plant that seems to be even related to Cannabis is Hops, as Granger stated earlier in the thread.

well, everything is possibly possible, there might be a plant out there that would crosspollinate with cannabis.

but would there be any benefits and are you ready to perhaps spending your life, growing out thousands of plants of varying species and then trying to pollinate?

probably would have to spend all that time with your nose up one book or another too.

and here is the kicker.

even if you found a plant that was able to crosspollinate with cannabis, would you receive Any benefits from that crossing?

probably not.

if you really want , by all means go ahead, im just saying what i think you would be getting yourself into. :)

I personally think it would be interesting to cross hops and Cannabis. I could think of lots of upsides to the cross. You could still grow all of your smoke without being spotted; that is if you could get the hops to produce THC and the other cannabinoids. The process of separating the THC from the hops would ideally be the same process as separating the THC from Cannabis. Also think about the potential for beer. I am sure the process there to keep the cannabinoids intact would make the brewing process different, but just think about it beer getting you drunk and high at the same time.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
I suspect it takes more to make a Centar than a bucket to stand on, otherwise if it was that easy Centars might be real.

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
As far as I know the only plant that seems to be even related to Cannabis is Hops, as Granger stated earlier in the thread.

then read this... http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/11/science/q-a-398388.html

''Catnip is in fact related to marijuana, and some people might get a little high when they smoke catnip, but marijuana gives no pleasure to cats,'' he said. ''In fact it makes them sick, so people can smoke catnip, but cats can't smoke marijuana.''

Originally Posted by sso

and here is the kicker.

probably not.

if you really want , by all means go ahead, im just saying what i think you would be getting yourself into.

well if can nip gets cats high, and you can create a plant that creates all these different cannabanoids. Now you are talking Science! and a possible Different type of high! and or medical benefits. Secondly. how a plant grows. We want the biggest, and best. so finding those to qualities in another species would of course be My priorities.

Now i know Cat Nip is part of Marijuana Family, it was just recently proven in Genetics comparisons. Very close.

Also Cat nip grows like a Bud, and HOP, and also creates Crystals... :)

Catnip is a mint-family herb native to Europe that can be purchased or grown in many countries. The chemical compound nepetalactone found in catnip triggers the neurological response in the cat when smelled through the nose. It is not restricted to sex; male and female cats can react to the herb even though some cats may not respond at all.

There’s a theory that catnip (Nepeta cataria) is more closely related to marijuana because of their similar biochemical qualities Catnip is a close relative to marijuana, which has roots in the same family as catnip.
catnip1.jpg

catnip3.jpg

Smoking Gun

Interesting. Definitely grows in a very similar shape to Cannabis. Well now we have a Two Dog plant and a plant to get cats high.

supermanlives

Veteran
what would be the point . it already is hardy and grows fast and got thc. maybe gene splicing with bamboo or that seaweed that grows a few feet a day . now that would be cool till monsanto got into it and ruined everything. no thanks i will stick to regular marijuana.

Walt Jabsco

Read an article in High Times probably 15-20 years ago about this very subject. In the article they stated the ability to make oranges and tomatoes that had the psychoactive effects of marijuana grown into them. I have been looking for that article ever since and cannot find it now, but I know I read it in High Times.

medman225

Ya duude i read the same article they made it seem like wed b seeing oranges with thc wuld b available n no time

masamaaso

Veteran
I personally want to cross a feral boar with a chinook salmon, that would be quite the fishing experience.

I'm sure Monsanto could come up with broccoli that put off trichs though.

Id hunt that slippery pink hog,,
with a scoped single action .44
that fires darts attached to spider silk,
when the dart hits quickly attach the winding handle to the side of the revolver, and reel it in.
Yea,,,sign me up

yerboyblue

Someone said cats can't get high off cannabis and get sick instead. I got my cat contact hight 100 times in high school, she finally mellowed out from the crazy, skitzo cat to a docile, sleep all day kind of cat.

S

SeaMaiden

and here is the kicker.

probably not.

I'm not sure how you got here ^^ from what I wrote. My main point was that if there is something that crosses with cannabis, you might want to be careful growing near it, just as you need to be careful when growing a plant like quinoa, or you won't get what you're after.

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
people have used Cat Nip as a Tea to calm them down. I also have heard of people using both Herbs at the same time to get a Better Medication, or Hi for recreational users.

I think just how Cbc, cbn, THC, DTHC, and the other 416 other Canabanoids, would react with the Cannabanoids from lets say, Cat nip, or maybe there is a even Closer Relationship with another plant out there.... its all about education and experementation. Im going to keep researching to see if i come up with any results of anyone doing such a thing.

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
And there are never stupid questions, just stupid answers. ;) keep on inquiring my friend.

Granger2

Veteran
Dizzle,
I checked what you said at Clemson U. I stand corrected on the Nectarine. Pluots are a cross. -granger

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
Dizzle,
I checked what you said at Clemson U. I stand corrected on the Nectarine. Pluots are a cross. -granger

a lot of Fruits can cross pollinate, Citrus Trees/ plants seem to be common.

Think of a Jack Ass, Part Horse, Part Donkey. :)

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
This might help...

This might help...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_(biology)#Interspecific_hybrids

Interspecific hybrids

Interspecific hybrids are bred by mating two species, normally from within the same genus. The offspring display traits and characteristics of both parents. The offspring of an interspecific cross are very often sterile; thus, hybrid sterility prevents the movement of genes from one species to the other, keeping both species distinct.[10] Sterility is often attributed to the different number of chromosomes the two species have, for example donkeys have 62 chromosomes, while horses have 64 chromosomes, and mules and hinnies have 63 chromosomes. Mules, hinnies, and other normally sterile interspecific hybrids cannot produce viable gametes, because differences in chromosome structure prevent appropriate pairing and segregation during meiosis, meiosis is disrupted, and viable sperm and eggs are not formed. However, fertility in female mules has been reported with a donkey as the father.[11]
Most often other processes occurring in plants and animals keep gametic isolation and species distinction. Species often have different mating or courtship patterns or behaviors, the breeding seasons may be distinct and even if mating does occur antigenic reactions to the sperm of other species prevent fertilization or embryo development. Hybridisation is much more common among organisms that spawn indiscriminately, like soft corals and among plants.
While it is possible to predict the genetic composition of a backcross on average, it is not possible to accurately predict the composition of a particular backcrossed individual, due to random segregation of chromosomes. In a species with two pairs of chromosomes, a twice backcrossed individual would be predicted to contain 12.5% of one species' genome (say, species A). However, it may, in fact, still be a 50% hybrid if the chromosomes from species A were lucky in two successive segregations, and meiotic crossovers happened near the telomeres. The chance of this is fairly high: (where the "two times two" comes about from two rounds of meiosis with two chromosomes); however, this probability declines markedly with chromosome number and so the actual composition of a hybrid will be increasingly closer to the predicted composition.
Hybrids are often named by the portmanteau method, combining the names of the two parent species. For example, a zeedonk is a cross between a zebra and a donkey. Since the traits of hybrid offspring often vary depending on which species was mother and which was father, it is traditional to use the father's species as the first half of the portmanteau. For example, a liger is a cross between a male lion and a female tiger, while a tiglon is a cross between a male tiger and a female lion.

Link full of interesting info- An Interspecific Plant Hybrid Shows Novel Changes in Parental Splice Forms of Genes for Splicing Factors