What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how much wood ash per galon of soiless mix ?

nuitari

Hello everyone I hope all well.Lets get back to my question.I m thinking to use lc's soiless mix 1(5parts peat,3 parts perlite, 2 parts compost) and recipe 1(bloodmeal, bonemeal, kelpmeal).But m going to use woodash since I cannot find kelpmeal. I couldnt find any info on how much woodash to use per galon of soiless mix if someone ever used wood ash in their mixes give me some advice would be awesome.
Another question is should I drop the amount of dolomite lime since(as much as I understand) wood ash contains lots of cal and mg ?

St. Phatty

I use about a cup of wood ash for every 8 gallons of soil.

Watch out for the dust ! do not breathe - save your lungs for the Good Stuff ... Cannabis.

nuitari

I use about a cup of wood ash for every 8 gallons of soil.

Watch out for the dust ! do not breathe - save your lungs for the Good Stuff ... Cannabis.

Thx for the info man. And sorry for late thanking. So it seems most of folks around here use kelp since its good for soil and they can get it very easily. Actually I m almost ready to roll. I m thinking to burn some hardwood(hopefully oak but at the end whatever I can get eas?ly) with banana peels mixed . But there is some confusion in my mind about measurement that u use. I found 2 diffrent measurement as grams one says 1cup: 128 grams another says 1cup:225 grams. Can u say ur 1 cup as grams ? Thx already have a nice grow.

nuitari

Thx for the heads up man. I was gonna use cocopeat instead of peatmoss but after seen all people warn about ph when using ash I decided to go with peat moss since its acidic. And I feel like I have to be ready for ph issues just in case.
What do u think about if I use 15 grams per galon of soiless mix ? Its same amount if I was using kelp(1 tbs per galon)

troutman

Seed Whore
Just test pH runoff before and add slowly while testing a certain amount of soil.
Then you'll be able to just mix everything after you know how much you need.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
You could carefully topdress with woodash but always after watering. So the woodash sits on top of the wet soil and can react with the water and later with the co² of the air. That will buffer the high ph a little by forming carbonates instead of oxides.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I would make the effort to obtain the kelp meal, if you have to ship it to your location so be it.

Kelp has all kind of auxins, hormones and trace elements that are not found in wood ash. It is so much more than a source of K.

nuitari

I love this place. There is always help around if u need some appreciate it. I really want to use kelp meal but there is non around( other than sushi wraps xD ). Ash is the easiest I can replace it with. But it seems some disadvanteges or complications when using it. Feel free to advice me another indregient instead of kelpmeal or woodash. I m open anykind of advice.

nuitari

You could carefully topdress with woodash but always after watering. So the woodash sits on top of the wet soil and can react with the water and later with the co² of the air. That will buffer the high ph a little by forming carbonates instead of oxides.

thx for advice dude. Actually I was thinking to add ash while cooking the mix. Would it be wrong if I add ash to the mix when cooking the mix ?

nuitari

Or I can use biobizz alg-a mic (didnt want it cause really expensive where I live and not sure if alg-a mic is enough to replace with kelpmeal). I m short on time, probably 1 batch and indoor season will be over. So have no time to experience anything unfortunetly.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Sushi wraps, nori, is porphyra seaweed iirc? Probably has very similar properties to kelp. Cost would be killer though I guess.

You are looking for another potassium source, maybe some extra compost of very high quality would be a safer choice than wood ash. Some composted oak leaves maybe.

Is the grow indoors or out?

nuitari

Yeah its an indoor grow. Compost would be nice but I m short on time. that makes all more complicated than I ever liked. What u think about alg-a mic. Would it be enough to replace kealpmeal ?

nuitari

You can use it in the mix. My post was in case if u want to add more later to adjust the amount.

That is nice to know man. If I go ash route, to be safe use it in the mix much lower than I tought and can add anytime as topdressing if I need more K. Thx again.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I think I have heard of oven dried powdered banana peels being used for K. Can you get those in large quantities?

Edit: there is loads of google info on making fertilizer from banana peels.

nuitari

I can get banana peels but not sure if I can get large amount of them. I can get from the market :D I look into bananapeel solution. Thx for help dude.

nuitari

I was reading about banana peels. And thx for other npk sources. I dont know what langbeinite is but banana peels seems really easy to use. Probably go with the peels maybe adding a little amount of ashes too. I want to thank u guys all u helped me alot already.

Latest posts

Latest posts