What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Returning to the classics - Widow & Skunk recommends?

childofmelee

The plants were epic, I would agree 100% that they were S1 from a cuts from the same sensi widow I used to grow back in the day 20 years back, true to form 100%. Some plants more frosty than most modern, good strong weed. Though..there were one or two obvious duds from the get go..and testing showed us they were hplvd positive, and all other old heirloom cuts we tested from multiple continents, were positive, so I'm assuming the old hoarded 90s cut too is positive, that the breeder used. But hey pretty much most available batches of seed/cuts IMO are infected, so no matter the seed one must be prepared with applicable protocols for germination to prevent cross contamination.

Old Widows 90's had some rock solid buds, I would grow it again but unfortunately growing outdoors in a wet high humid climate the rock solid buds suck up the moisture like sponges and botyrtis sets in.

I grew out his OSG Cheese and that was good too, it had a strong cheese smell to it.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Yeah the OSG cheese also I found stellar plants, the widow was always a good plant to outcross to, and even better to stellar skunks. I found the widow botritus resistant to a degree, but more sick a plant was so the tolerance went down. The old 90s widow we used to grow, and 2000 and 2002, as was all the same when you grew it from seed those days, plants almost like clones of each other, White Label and Sensi stock, and we only found out what PM and botritus was years later..LOL shit was tough back then, not widely infected with viroid. We used to grow in cupboards with 400w hps's and kill it, that bud would hold any par to todays, and we knew jack shit, using a one part teaspoon per 5L hydroponics salt from the supermarket, in bubblers. Was just crop after crop of the dank, clones all identical to mom, identical to the first run, run in and run out, then I went farming veggies round 2003 had to cull all my moms, which were so tough, I couldn't bring my self to cull my widow mom and she lived in her bucket, stashed in bushes in the hectic summer heat of 40 degrees celcius plus, with no bubbles, just me topping her up once a week with food..and she survived and thrived till autumn and she flowered out and I lost her.

I got back 2005 to town the farm didnt work out and immediately ordered seeds from the internet from Sensi again, same as I grew before, doublegum and widow, and it was the same stuff...after that II never got the same plants in seed vendors, and clear to me now that they were dudded back then post 2005...

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
IMG_20231021_195734522_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231021_195746840.jpg

IMG_20231021_195739788_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231021_195728712_HDR.jpg

Dutch Passion's White Widow 42days flower

childofmelee

Yeah the OSG cheese also I found stellar plants, the widow was always a good plant to outcross to, and even better to stellar skunks. I found the widow botritus resistant to a degree, but more sick a plant was so the tolerance went down. The old 90s widow we used to grow, and 2000 and 2002, as was all the same when you grew it from seed those days, plants almost like clones of each other, White Label and Sensi stock, and we only found out what PM and botritus was years later..LOL shit was tough back then, not widely infected with viroid. We used to grow in cupboards with 400w hps's and kill it, that bud would hold any par to todays, and we knew jack shit, using a one part teaspoon per 5L hydroponics salt from the supermarket, in bubblers. Was just crop after crop of the dank, clones all identical to mom, identical to the first run, run in and run out, then I went farming veggies round 2003 had to cull all my moms, which were so tough, I couldn't bring my self to cull my widow mom and she lived in her bucket, stashed in bushes in the hectic summer heat of 40 degrees celcius plus, with no bubbles, just me topping her up once a week with food..and she survived and thrived till autumn and she flowered out and I lost her.

I got back 2005 to town the farm didnt work out and immediately ordered seeds from the internet from Sensi again, same as I grew before, doublegum and widow, and it was the same stuff...after that II never got the same plants in seed vendors, and clear to me now that they were dudded back then post 2005...
Another guy from another forum said the same thing, he use to buy Widow from Dutch Passion in late 90's I think he said through to the early 2000's and the seeds grew all the same, zero variation, just like clones.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Hazeman has a few 98 aloha WW cross with them all have a98ww as the father to other clone only a. Got a few packs the Aloha WW x cheese and Great white shark x 98 aloha WW and they both were super dank I mean seriously pungent. 1 that was taller and had like 2 foot kolas smelt like liquorice and skunk And the other was just a real dank earthy smell. Also - pheno was. Awhirlwd phlotaxy meaning she had 4 branches per node crazy plant
The aloha x cheese would be epic..Widow x skunk made epic plants..90's widow x cheese I've grown from OSG and was epic, and killer widow cut x killer skunk cut will be epic..but old heirlooms for me after enough testing..I'd take precaution with germinating and testing and finding the clean seedlings, you could probably run them all day long.

CannaT

Premium user
Although not the original, I did hear Dutch Passion have a good version of Widow.

Your plants are looking nice and frosty.
I think it comes from OG seed stock just their selection.
Its fire one of the best WW I had grew.
This one is lemony/diesel pheno 8-9 weeks of flower.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Another guy from another forum said the same thing, he use to buy Widow from Dutch Passion in late 90's I think he said through to the early 2000's and the seeds grew all the same, zero variation, just like clones.
Yeah..100%. I thiink a large proportion of everyones parent stock has been infected since mid 2000's. Unless seed cos show me proof otherwise, based on my experience now, I reckon it was so..though I think almost everyones stuff's been infected better part of 2 decades. No reason to panic like the skys falling, nothing changed but awareness.

Something changed mid 2000's, I always reckoned it was the swiss raids and the loss of parent lines in the Popo's mass culling, but now I'm not so sure. I think honestly now its a combo of that, and everyones parent stock being pooled together with seed making outsourced, and maybe it was in the parents already then, but the massive numbers for selection they could do inthe those massive grows in Switzerland prior to the clampdown, they were able to select away easily from infected parents as thousands of plants you can select the best parents and those be most likely to be clean or cleanest, and/or tolerant. Anyway this is all my theorizing. That said those old late 90s genetics, along with the late 80s early 90s...a few stellar parent lines really did produce the heyday of weed genetics IMO. Almost all decent stuff today is based on those same lines still, says something.

Last edited:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Almost looks like the subtle signs if one looks closely in the dutch passion, look at the smaller colas and one sees it more, in the overlap of leaflets around cola and just a small % of loss of shine..take note carefully of rooting times each batch of cuttings and success % and take pics each runs flower with something to compare size to watch closely..if it slides downhill..craphead. If not probably good, looks good but not as rooooooooaaaaar of old though it looks the part...from this side of the screen is all guessing..to measure is to know.

Though, that freakshow looks STUNNING though, wow thats vigor right there...beautiful. Which also shows your food and environment is great as that plant is a model plant, variation in the others, if clones could be another factor not being taken into account.

CannaT

Premium user
Skunk 1 is the best from Sensi Seeds regulars.
White Widow
1. Dutch Passion
2.White label
3.Nirvana/Seedsman/Paradise seeds

Those are my recomendations.

LostTribe

Premium user

CannaT

Premium user
I also ran DP's WW 2 years ago and it was true to form. Mine reminded me exactly of the old DP from early 2000's. Classic taste, heavy resin easy growing. Mine was a bit more indica that that one pic above. Woody stems I recall.
One of signatures DP strain is regular and fem White Widow they made their selection from original stock. And its how it used to be. That famous white widow smell and taste and calm powerfull sativa high. Very pungent "hazy" smell while burn.
This one is at day 48 still 8-10 days more till chop.
Usaually its ready between 8-9 weeks.
Had 3 phenos this was the most Indica one.