What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is It Really Legal?

St. Phatty

Again...
gotta spread more rep...

This is exactly the way I see it and exactly why I hate cops and those that support them.
FUCK THE POLICE

I have a friend who lives in Williams OR whose entire family works for Law Enforcement.

He helped fix my house. Showed me how to cut the pressure at the well house so we can replace aging leaking valves etc.

Don't want to say anything that might upset him.

Police brutality is like a fvcking FLOOD. Kind of hard to talk about it as if it is "just isolated incidents".

It's not a coincidence that the police have gotten SO FUCKING MILITARIZED since 9-11.

If the FBI was doing its job it would be prosecuting Abuse of Power under Color of Authority country wide.

Maybe we should have a thread about Rogue Fuzz.

The way they impound cars, for no reason with a completely trumped up justification - HOLY MAMA !

I bet 1/2 the people the cops harass for Hydrocodone possession actually have a pain condition they are treating. i.e. the Cops have no right to interfere in their medical care, whether it's self-medication or with a prescription.

The group Don't Punish Pain is sort of working on that.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
It can be a tough job. There are good ones and bad ones like anywhere. Unfortunately, I think the job attracts some people who are exactly the wrong people for the job. They get through the vetting and then there are problems. I knew two people who were cops and never should have been. One got kicked out for beating up a belligerent drunk coming out of a bar. The other weaseled a full disability for getting frostbite while standing next to her running car and watching a hole get dug. I saw her out jogging many times after that. I think she was nuts and they didn't want her with a badge and a gun. The vetting process needs to be upgraded.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It can be a tough job. There are good ones and bad ones like anywhere. Unfortunately, I think the job attracts some people who are exactly the wrong people for the job. They get through the vetting and then there are problems. I knew two people who were cops and never should have been. One got kicked out for beating up a belligerent drunk coming out of a bar. The other weaseled a full disability for getting frostbite while standing next to her running car and watching a hole get dug. I saw her out jogging many times after that. I think she was nuts and they didn't want her with a badge and a gun. The vetting process needs to be upgraded.

It would be immensely helpful if law enforcement were required to know the laws they are enforcing.

They always say "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" but I think their ignorance of the laws should not be an excuse either.

Good cops don't exist!
They either quit or are fired for not performing within the standards of "the blue line brotherhood"
OR
they are integrated into the brotherhood and they themselves become corrupted.

ANY cop that watches another cop perform illegal acts and does nothing, for fear of losing their job or any other reason, is a piece of shit and just as guilty as the perpetrator of the crime committed!

There are 3 elements to a crime & I'd be willing to bet most cops do not know them.

EDIT:
I just remembered... It's an election year and Sheriff is up for election again...
The Sheriff of the county I live in is a real piece of shit!
He fired a newly hired and trained deputy (Dog) because he was doing his job.
Dog was on duty one night and saw a vehicle swerving on the highway so pulled it over.
Little did he know, he had just pulled over the Under-Sheriff, driving drunk.
The elected Sheriff was grooming the Under-Sheriff to take his job when he retired so a cover-up ensued.
Dog was NOT going to participate in a cover up so was fired when he pressed the issue.
The Under-Sheriff continued with his duties as though nothing had ever happened!
Fortunately, the entire town caught wind of the scandal and the under-sheriff was beat out in the primary election this year.
Otherwise, who knows what would have happened?

Klompen

There's such a concerted effort in our society to deify police and demonize anything that questions police. Have you ever noticed how many shows depict internal affairs officers as bad people who are harassing good cops?

The fact of the matter is that right now there's no real incentive to be a good cop. After all, if you don't get punished for being a bad cop, you get benefits that the good cops don't get. I know of one case I personally witnessed where cops were confiscating contraband(fireworks, drugs, and more), and were using it at their own parties for years. Then they got caught by a judge lying on a case and suddenly several of the officers involved(but not all) got fired for supposedly mismanaging their budgets. All of them just got jobs in other departments.

I can also say that it varies immensely from one town to another and from one state to another. I know one cop who was a state trooper and ended up moving away to a neighboring state because his original department was so corrupt he could not take it anymore. He said his new department was like a night-vs-day contrast. I've seen this sort of thing many times. Anyone else remember that the chief of the Philadelphia police traveled to New York to join the occupy protests? There's definitely good cops out there. The system does not like them though, and even actively discourages them.

St. Phatty

The fact of the matter is that right now there's no real incentive to be a good cop.

It's far more relaxing. And nice cops get more phone numbers.

I would consider being a cop if I wasn't required to carry a firearm all the time, and was allowed to use my own judgment to decide which laws are healthy, and which are conflicted (e.g. the drug laws) because it sets the police on a path of interfering in the health care of US citizens.

But I don't know if I would consider it for very long.

Klompen

It's far more relaxing. And nice cops get more phone numbers.

I would consider being a cop if I wasn't required to carry a firearm all the time, and was allowed to use my own judgment to decide which laws are healthy, and which are conflicted (e.g. the drug laws) because it sets the police on a path of interfering in the health care of US citizens.

But I don't know if I would consider it for very long.

This is the serious issue with law: officers making their own rulebook opens the door to corruption, abuse, and chaos. Officers enforcing unjust laws also cause corruption, abuse, and chaos. Ideally we need iron-clad rule of law based on laws that both make sense and truly serve the greater good. Unfortunately laws as things currently stand tend to serve the law-makers and those who own them.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is the serious issue with law: officers making their own rulebook opens the door to corruption, abuse, and chaos. Officers enforcing unjust laws also cause corruption, abuse, and chaos. Ideally we need iron-clad rule of law based on laws that both make sense and truly serve the greater good. Unfortunately laws as things currently stand tend to serve the law-makers and those who own them.

If more people would be willing to go to court and FIGHT their unjust cases, the courts would be clogged up and would be forced to deal with only the most serious of criminal behavior.

But common folks don't fight because it is inconvenient for them. They DO NOT realize that they are only making it more difficult for future generations to have to deal with the corruption as it gets worse and worse as the years go on.

POWER CORRUPTS,
ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY!

Hey now. In Mass we can have 12 plants (to a household).

in a single grow across 4-6 months. Even a novice can follow instructions to raise 4 hearty plants that can yield around/over 600 grams of flower, plus extracts from the trim and sugar leaf.

I would say in Mass it's pretty easy to grow beyond your needs in a season.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
In Mass only mature plants count (flowering). 6 per person 12 per household.

Nice for home made Christmas presents.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Homebrewing wasn't legal until the seventies.

You still can't distill your own spirits.

They won't give us anything but the bare minimum... we've seen it before.

The man wants money.

I'm not an expert on this, but I got into distilling as a hobby in recent years. As far as I know, nobody really cares about home distillers unless they try to sell it untaxed.

I can see weed going that way. We're only supposed to have 6 plants in California, but nobody really cares if you grow more for personal use. They only care if you try to sell it without paying taxes.

Klompen

If more people would be willing to go to court and FIGHT their unjust cases, the courts would be clogged up and would be forced to deal with only the most serious of criminal behavior.

But common folks don't fight because it is inconvenient for them. They DO NOT realize that they are only making it more difficult for future generations to have to deal with the corruption as it gets worse and worse as the years go on.

POWER CORRUPTS,
ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY!

In theory this is a great idea. In practice, courts throw all sorts of serious obstacles in the path of those seeking to litigate. Worse yet, the rich litigants have huge advantages over poor ones. There's plenty of cases for example where very rich companies crush very small companies by simply swamping them with frivolous lawsuits. This happened to a company called Aureal Incorporated. A larger rival, Creative Labs, launched lawsuit after lawsuit against Aureal(mainly because Aureal was crushing them in the high end gaming sound card market). Aureal cards are immensely superior to Creative cards. It was no contest who had a better product, but Aureal was bankrupted by all the litigation and ended up suffering a hostile takeover by Creative Labs. Creative then shut them down and stopped all development on their standards. Even to this day, sound cards and APIs lack many of the superior features of Aureal tech, and its precisely because the rich guy tends to win in court even if they lose in court. Creative didn't have to win any of the cases(and I don't think they did win any of them), but instead they had to just use the court to run the other guy out of money.

I also remember one time a friend of mine got harassed by the police and thrown out on the street by her landlord(who was a cop) because her roomate was friends with the police and wanted his crank dealing buddy to move in instead of her. We tried to file with the courts and they said that we had to go to the state ombudsman, and the state ombudsman said they had no power to actually do anything about police corruption but could try to mediate between her and the police. Of course that didn't really amount to anything because one of the cops involved was on the city council. Long story short: it appears under the law that nobody has the authority to stop rogue cops. Some of those same cops later were fired for confiscating contraband and using and selling it to the public(though the public was told otherwise, I had inside info on the situation). Even after that, none of the high-ranking cops involved were fired. Authority is very entrenched in this nation.

I know another person who is reasonably affluent and has been trying to get justice for an issue with animal control. Despite having connections in the community, despite working hard for months, and despite having the money for a lawyer, they are getting nowhere. This person cannot even get a lawyer to take her case or even return her calls because generally lawyers are scared to go up against the government in the town or city where they work unless its on behalf of someone powerful(like a large corporation or a billionaire).

I had a serious issue with the government throwing my family out on the street over a zoning issue(a major tactic they use against the poor, because unlike criminal arrests you don't get an attorney). I looked up every lawyer I could, I tried to figure out what I could file against them, and I asked every group I could find for help and nothing. Homeless people basically have no access to the law and they know it. One local official wanted me to tell them where she could find more homeless people so she co uld send the police after them. These people know you can't fight back and literally laugh in your face about the idea of it. Courts are for people who have money, and especially for those with a huge amount of it.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
It seems against the very nature of our nation's "beliefs".

Is it shocking that everyone knows it and does nothing to stop it?

That again seems against the very nature this country was founded under.

Klompen

It seems against the very nature of our nation's "beliefs".

Is it shocking that everyone knows it and does nothing to stop it?

That again seems against the very nature this country was founded under.

That's the greatest irony of all; this nation was founded under rhetoric that it failed to live up to from the very start. Most of the "Founding Fathers" owned slaves(even Ben Franklin). Most of them were rich aristocrats from influential families. The idealistic heart of the revolution was Thomas Paine, who was one of the only anti-slavery voices in founding. Paine and his son went on to set the stage for what later became the Underground Railroad, but their views were not empowered the way the slave owning aristocracy was.

We've been carefully groomed to accept new aristocracy and call it "Freedom" and "Democracy". Those at the top don't take the rhetoric all that seriously, but they demand those below them do so. They see through the games of society in a way that few people who are not psychopaths seem to be able to. They twist and manipulate and seem to end up in charge no matter how things are "supposed to be". This nation was founded on a bed of lies and those lies have been renewed from time tot time with "the blood of patriots and tyrants". This has become even worse ever since a paranoid schizophrenic named John Nash came up with a theory that everyone is out to get everyone else and that we should revolve society around that notion.

Nevermind that the aforementioned schizophrenic later got treatment and decided that was a bad idea; the aristocracy finally had what they've long wanted. That thing they have wanted is a logical rationalization for being psychopaths; a rationalization they could use to sell the idea to the public that its ok to let the worst among us be our leaders in business and government. In the past they've used religion(aka "divine right"), and fear of outside threats, but finally they had something they could claim was "science" supporting their wickedness. Until we can break out of the mass delusion we've been trained to accept, things aren't going to get better.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
The thing I'm seeing is nobody is actively trying, or even seemingly remotely interested in, fixing anything.

I doubt it gets better.

That's just not what anybody seems to want.

Latest posts

Latest posts