What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growth turns Purple, and Gnarly at flowering onset. Ruining plants completely.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bacteria or fungal infection….it's in the soil, rampant in my area for 5-8 years now.

i agree with meadow man ^^^ it's an infection of some sort ... i see this on my outdoor plants sometimes and treat them accordingly ... does this look familiar ? it's an example of a fungal infection turning a normally green hydrangea leaf purple ... it looks similar to what you have .. >>>

picture.php

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
I've got a few tomato plants this year that have what looks like Tomato Purple leaf Disorder.
Maybe it is the same or something related.
Someone posted here on icmag last year , I think from Hawaii ,with the same purpling problem.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp259

ambertrichome

Veteran
2 more photos.

Attachments

• 394415Purple Death.jpg
    394415Purple Death.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 39467333_736602253338267_4344694899799490560_n.jpg
    39467333_736602253338267_4344694899799490560_n.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 22

meadowman

first couple years i thought it was fusarium or verticillium wilt, but after 2nd year there was no more wilting. if u figure it out please post it!!!

Please consider adding 325 mg aspirin tablet, crushed, per gallon of water. Do your own research, but it is a great immune system booster for plants. I use it every grow, and have minimal issues. Best of luck. Peace

beta

Veteran
...interesting that this seems to happen primarily in outdoor plants. Maybe it's triggered by low temps?

Dog Star

Veteran
It reminds me on Hawaiian "black death" disease...

on icmag am sees thread on these issues..

Ktaadn

Having this issue outdoors here in the northeast as well. I've never seen it before this year. We've had the hottest and most humid summer on record so I'm sure that's a factor. It has to be either fungal or bacterial. I'm keeping an eye on this without removing it, to see how it progresses.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I see that gif twice but I only posted it once, and if I try to edit the second post, it edits the first post. wtf did I do.

Dog Star

Veteran
There is a black melanome funghi that feed on radioactivity...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2677413/

RADIATION PROMOTES SPORE GERMINATION

The two authors also discussed how radiation increases the amount of spores released by these fungi:

They observed that radiation promoted spore germination in species from contaminated regions, which they called “radiostimulation”. Contrary to their previous results they observed the “radiostimulation” only for the species from contaminated regions but not for isolates from the clean areas. They named this phenomenon “radioadaptive response”.

Downed tree on Long Island

SPORES MAY TRAVEL IN THE JET STREAM

In the 1930’s, spores were collected in a weather balloon between the levels of 36,000 – 71,000 feet. This is higher than the level of the jet stream (30,000 feet).

MELANIZED FUNGI SURVIVE FOOD IRRADIATION

Food is treated with gamma rays, which destroy bacteria and microorganisms in the food. The authors also noted that melanized fungi are radioresistant to the typical radiation levels used in this treatment.

RHIZOMORPHS

Rhizomorphs from an armillaria fungus

Rhizomorphs in New York City

Rhizomorphs or mycelial cords are aggregations of hyphae growing from fungi, which resemble tree roots. They provide water and nutrients for the organism. They can grow very long, under streets and pavements, and can draw nutrients from decomposing leaves at the surface. These leaves may be contaminated with radioactivity, which is all the better for them. They also colonize new hosts (trees), in this manner.

DIFFERENT KINDS OF FUNGAL DAMAGE TO TREES

This link provides illustrations of different tree diseases caused by fungi. My son and I recently went on a field trip to 5 different sites in the local area, and saw different kinds of damage. Sometimes the crown goes first, sometimes it is at the bottom, etc.

GROWTH OF MELANIZED FUNGI IN DOMESTIC ENVIRONMENTS

This pdf provides a good summary on how melanized fungi grow in domestic environments. Many species evolved in unusual ecological niches, and fit right into today’s home. They love dishwashers.

MELANIZED FUNGI CAUSE HUMAN DISEASE AND DEATH

This excellent article (pdf) reviews the current state of medical knowledge of health impacts of melanized fungi. They include the diseases eumycetoma, chromoblastomycosis, and phaeohyphomycosis. The authors classify the conditions into the categories allergic disease, superficial and deep local infections, pulmonary disease, central nervous system (CNS) infection, and disseminated disease.

Exposure to these fungi is usually due to breathing or minor cuts from infected agents, like thorns or farm implements. “Surveys of outdoor air for fungal spores routinely show dematiaceous (melanized) fungi. This suggests that all individuals are exposed, though few develop disease. Exposure is primarily from inhalation or minor trauma, which is frequently not even noticed by the patient.” Most of these cases occur in the tropics, but they will widely distributed over the planet from now on.

It is important to recognize that exposure to radiotrophic fungi also includes exposure to radioactivity, which of course increases the risk of disease.

Chromoblastomycosis

Phaeohyphomycosis

ALLERGIC DISEASE

“Allergic responses to dematiaceous fungi may actually represent the most common clinical manifestation of these fungi. Though asthma has many associated environmental factors, several studies have linked it with exposure to molds and to dematiaceous fungi… Allergic fungal sinusitis is a relatively common condition, with estimates of 6 to 9% of all cases of chronic sinusitis requiring surgery… it is now appreciated that disease due to dematiaceous fungi actually comprises the majority of cases… Allergic bronchopulmonary mycosis (ABPM) is similar in presentation to allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA), which is typically seen in patients with asthma or cystic fibrosis.”

SUPERFICIAL INFECTIONS

“These cases of superficial infections involve only keratinized tissues, such as the fingernails and toenails and the stratum corneum. Consequences of these infections are generally cosmetic… Tinea nigra is an uncommon infection confined to the stratum corneum. The characteristic appearance is that of a pigmented macule, usually on the palms or soles, and may be bilateral.”

DEEP LOCAL INFECTIONS

Subcutaneous lesions

“Subcutaneous lesions are the most common case reports of infection due to melanized fungi in the literature… Many patients are immunocompetent, and they often are from a rural background, i.e., farmers with frequent, minor trauma from plant material or gardeners… Lesions typically occur on exposed areas of the body and often appear as isolated cystic or papular lesions. Presentation is usually indolent, with weeks to months of gradual enlarging mass, though pain is often absent. Severely immunocompromised patients are at increased risk of subsequent dissemination, though this may rarely occur in apparently immunocompetent patients as well. Occasionally, infection may extend to involve joints or bone, requiring more extensive surgery or prolonged antifungal therapy.”

“Fungal keratitis (inflammation of the cornea) is an important ophthalmologic problem, particularly in tropical areas of the world. In one large series, 40% of all infectious keratitis was caused by fungi, almost exclusively molds.”

PULMONARY INFECTION

“Pulmonary infection is usually seen in immunocompromised patients or those with underlying lung disease, and it may be due to a wide variety of species… Clinical manifestations include pneumonia, asymptomatic solitary pulmonary nodules, and endobronchial lesions which may cause hemoptysis.”

CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM INFECTION

“Central nervous system infection is a rare but frequently fatal manifestation of phaeohyphomycosis, often in immunocompetent individuals. In a review of 101 cases of central nervous system infection due to dematiaceous fungi, the most common presentation was found to be brain abscess… What is truly unique about this disease is that over half the cases were in patients with no risk factor or immunodeficiency. In addition, no specific exposures were associated with onset of infection, though many cases seem to occur in rural areas. Typical symptoms included headache, neurologic deficits, and seizures, though rarely all three… Mortality was >70%… The pathogenesis may be hematogenous spread from an initial, presumably subclinical pulmonary focus, though this remains speculation. However, it remains unclear why these fungi preferentially cause CNS disease in immunocompetent individuals… Meningitis has also been described, usually in immunocompromised patients.”

DISSEMINATED INFECTION

“Disseminated infection is the most uncommon manifestation of infection caused by melanized fungi. In a review of 72 cases, most patients were immunocompromised, though occasional patients without known immunodeficiency or risk factors developed disseminated disease as well… Interestingly, peripheral eosinophilia has been observed in 9% of cases, and these were generally due to Bipolaris and Curvularia. These same species are often associated with allergic disease… The mortality rate was >70%, despite aggressive antifungal therapy. There were no antifungal regimens associated with improved survival for disseminated infection.”

PSYCHOSIS

This abstract from researchers in China details symptoms of cerebral phaeohyphomycosis.

“Cerebral phaeohyphomycosis is a fungal infection of the brain typically caused by Cladophialophora bantiana, Exophiala dermatitidis, and Rhinocladiella mackenziei, all of which belong to the order Chaetothyriales. The disease results in black, necrotic brain tissue, black pus, and black cerebrospinal fluid. Pathogens usually reach the brain through the bloodstream or lymphatic fluid and occasionally through direct spreading or accidental inoculation. Patients can present with hemiparesis, tonic spasm, headache, fever, sensory variation, cerebral irritation, and even psychotic behavioural changes.”

The same thing will happen to human brains

The black, necrotic brain tissue is similar to the black, necrotic leaf tissue we have seen in the dying trees. The same thing that is happening to the trees happens to human brains.

Humans are radioactive too. These fungi seek food.

IT’S EVERYWHERE

Read this blog, the Wit’s End blog, or a database of photos I am collecting for more information. Or go to Flickr and enter the search term “Sandy tree”. Most of the uprooted and broken trees from Hurricane Sandy show sign of fungal damage. Tree damage and death is rapidly spreading across the planet.

DenverJim

Growing plants outside in early spring when its cooler like 40-50

i see it outside in pots in early spring when its still pretty cold 40's to 50 degrees. i think it has to do with P or K I also see it in outside plants that come up in early spring Feb and March when the ground is still cold. The plants rarely turns purple so its the cold soil or dirt causing it.