What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High brix foliar spray?

Aksala

I've been reading a lot about the high brix benefits of growing and wanna give it a try but I've already got my next 3-4 months worth of soil mixed.

But that doesn't mean I can't use a good high brix foliar...

I'm just wondering what I should be using to increase brix levels?

C

Collembola

i had not heard of brix before,

and upon research, it seems it is a strange device for opening up portals for spending more money.....

-----------------------

to increase "brix levels", you buy a refractometer, that then tells you, that your really expensive nutrients are rubbish, and then you have to buy more and more things

(you have to listen to it also, because it was really expensive, and you are already too deep down the rabbit hole to turn back).

----------------------

if you are at the level of botany of ammending your own compost, then i don't really think one is required.

but hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will come along with an adequate reason for purchase.

Aksala

i had not heard of brix before,

and upon research, it seems it is a strange device for opening up portals for spending more money.....

-----------------------

to increase "brix levels", you buy a refractometer, that then tells you, that your really expensive nutrients are rubbish, and then you have to buy more and more things

(you have to listen to it also, because it was really expensive, and you are already too deep down the rabbit hole to turn back).

----------------------

if you are at the level of botany of ammending your own compost, then i don't really think one is required.

but hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will come along with an adequate reason for purchase.

Do some google searches...its pretty interesting. My favorite thing about cannabis is all the unique flavors and from everything I've read anything high brix has incredible flavor compared to not.

You don't have to buy anything special to achieve a high brix number. Just maybe trade certain things (like trading dolomite lime for calcium carbonate).

It's all about remineralizing the soil and it makes sense to me. I fucking LOVE orange bell peppers. Sometimes you bite into them and they explode with flavor...a tropical storm in your mouth. Other times they are bland as shit.

Apparently that's from the brix level being high (great taste) vs low (shit taste). I'm going to find out about it.

http://maximumyield.com/blog/2014/11/01/building-up-the-brix/

Pretty cool read...While I won't fully drink the kool-aid until I've actually done this myself (including my vegetable garden) I am just a homegrower and my main concern is improving taste/smell (plus the bug resistance is very appealing). So I don't have a huge amount of $$ at stake here....so changing how I do things isn't that big of a deal to me.

I get the if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude...but what if it is broke and you just don't know it?

B

Baron Greenback

Earth Juice do a thing called "Briximus Maximus" for a final foliar feed in flower, that might be the sort of thing you're after.

C

Collembola

isn't brix refering to the measurement of carbohydrate levels ?.

i only grow tomatoes, not very well mind (lot of admiration for home-veg growers).

but flavour seems very much genetic based to me ?

i can totally see why it is usefull for boosting fruit / veg >TASTE< because they taste great when "sweet and carbohydratey"

but for something you smoke / whatever, i don't get why high carbohydrate is of benefit ?

don't you infact want LOW carbohydrate at harvest time ?, with cannabis ?,

it sounds a bit like the marijuana community has found a new toy to play with ?

but i am obviously miserable / narrow minded / >insert insult here<

Aksala

isn't brix refering to the measurement of carbohydrate levels ?.

i only grow tomatoes, not very well mind (lot of admiration for home-veg growers).

but flavour seems very much genetic based to me ?

i can totally see why it is usefull for boosting fruit / veg >TASTE< because they taste great when "sweet and carbohydratey"

but for something you smoke / whatever, i don't get why high carbohydrate is of benefit ?

don't you infact want LOW carbohydrate at harvest time ?, with cannabis ?,

it sounds a bit like the marijuana community has found a new toy to play with ?

but i am obviously miserable / narrow minded / >insert insult here<

You really need to read up on it instead of just saying "I don't get it"...

It is very well explained if you take the time to read up on it.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's not true.

Now...like I said. I'm not drinking the kool-aid 100% until I find out myself the difference in the quality (taste/smell/pest resistance/overall plant health). But there is absolutely no reason to not try something because you don't understand how it works.

I've ordered a refractometer ($20...not exactly breaking the bank) and I'm going to test it on all produce I buy (and the stuff I grow) and make my own comparisons on flavor.

Have you literally never smoked the exact same strain grown by two different growers and not noticed a difference in taste? Because I've noticed difference in taste from different runs on my own strains.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Refractometers (A.K.A Brix Meter)

Refractometers are a simple optical instrument that measures the amount of light refracted in a liquid. Refractometers measure on a "Brix" scale and measuring the Brix level of fruits and vegetables is very important because it is a great indicator of flavor and quality.

The higher the brix level of your fruits juices is, the higher the dissolved solids in the foods juices such as sucrose, fructose, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, proteins, hormones and all the other goodness that the plant puts into the food is. It is estimated that in a healthy fruit or vegetable, approximately 80% of the brix is represented by the natural sugars which give the food its great flavor and goodness. It is believed by many people to be the best indicator of quality available in one quick and simple test.

Refractometers are a standard piece of equipment for many Agronomists and is a standard tool used in the fruit and citrus industries. Juice factories and vineyards especially use refractometers so they can measure the level of flavors in the juices and blend them to consistent brix level every time. Many companies are also now offering big bonuses to farmers who can produce high brix fruits because it means they have to add less artificial sweetener to the juices which are devoid of any nutritional value (unlike natural sugars).

We hope that someday, every kitchen will have a refractometer so people can test the quality and nutrient density of the foods they are consuming.
from https://www.agriculturesolutions.com

As you can see, brix level measured by a refractomer is not just the sugars, but all disolved solids. It's similar to measuring density of the sap. And even the sugars levels would yeld a good result, cause the more energy a plant gets, the more sugars it produces. But brix is measuring more than just sugars and indicates the health level of the plant.

C

Collembola

yes; the point being, with marijuana; you want the plants fan leaves etc completely depleted at harvest time ????

with the calyx and trichomes (primary) healthy, BUT the fan leaves cannabilised;

please explain, how having a plant rammed full of nutrients at that stage is a good thing ?

mmmmmmm smoking starch, sounds lovely

marijuana doesn't bear fruit, and we only smoke the flowers because they have trichomes on them....

a trichome is not a fruit OR a vegetable ???

(as far as i am aware ?)

---------------

i will stfu though, sorry for posting, but i think i am being more objective (no-vested interest), although i will take ignorant etc; sorry.

C

Collembola

what about low humidity to increase "resin" production etc / environmental stressors, whatever effecting the plant negatively, yet BENEFICIAL to our human cause (i.e. getting baked)

would not the refractometer indicate this is a bad thing to ?.

also on effects on stretch etc etc ?, plants through the ceiling, but "not enough brix", up and up and up, they go, yes master refractometer.

?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I never said you should measure levels just before harvest, but it's a nice tool to have when comparing different growing methods and products to see how they are working. an educated grower who is using a refractometer will have none of the problems you are bringing up. it's not a fix-all tool, it doesn't takes all envoirment factors into account and owning one will not make you a good grower instantly, but it can certainly help when you use it right. and it's not at all expensive.

here is my "brix kit":

C

Collembola

but why would an educated grower need one ?

it sounds like it is more for the un-educated, who is too lazy to learn how to grow using their own initiative ?

any needless expenditure is wholly expensive.

----------------

if it is rendered useless at flowering, then what are the people going to do, at that time when their lord and saviour no longer has divine powers ?,

just a $20 stick ?

would you say a $20 stick is expensive ?,

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I guess each grower has to make a choice about the need for a brix refractometer and about 20$ price of it being expensive or not. I didn't buy a magic tool, so I don't expect any special powers from it.
It's funny how you can be so intense about a tool you did not even heard of just 1 day ago. Guess you don't need one. That's cool.

Aksala

Again...just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's not true.

Read about plant vibrations and what attracts insects to certain plants but will leave other stuff alone. It's incredibly interesting and making a choice to be ignorant of any of that while arguing your point isn't a good look.

What you see on the outside doesn't always indicate whats going on on the inside.

Especially when it comes to flavor.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Most of the time it's around 15. In flower I managed to get near 18, but i rarely test in flower. I use it mostly in veg. Any healthy plant will have at least 12, even when young.