What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do you have Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
You need to stop smoking first, that would be a scientific test. This doctor should know better than to make pronouncements that don't pass a scientific sniff test, but instead he says "Chronically, the only therapy reported to be of benefit is cessation of cannabis use. How quickly it helps is uncertain". How is it possible to be sure while having no idea? He can be forgiven for not knowing specifically about the other things that might be in certain local cannabis, but saying that the cannabinoids are specifically the cause is unforgivable, it's a premise without science. Did these doctors even bother to test what the patients are smoking, other than "cannabis"?

I also discovered that showers are the only thing that will help my sickness, and I smoke pot. Therefore I must have this. But I don't, I quit for months for drug tests sometimes. Then I switched from coffee to tea and I'm a little better now, but tea on an empty stomach, or caffeine withdrawal (quit sodas at work years ago) still makes me quite ill. It took a long time to figure out this simple thing.

omnitone

darn it

darn it

i've got it. i used to have mild stomach nausea in the mornings. a good hit would cure that. recently i got a MM card and have been getting my meds from a dispensary. dabs, edibles, and high tch content flower.
well, my symptoms are worse. like others, i'm losing weight, have no appetite, some stomach cramps and just feel full. no throwing up, but close. oh well. time to drastically cut back. kripes, i feel like Burgess Meredith in that twilight zone episode. all the books to read, but no glasses to see through.
:wallbash:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
no been toking 32 years or so and hard atleast 20...most people don't make enough to buy what I normally smoke,,,lately I been low on weed but that's almost over

TheCleanGame

Veteran
i've got it. i used to have mild stomach nausea in the mornings. a good hit would cure that. recently i got a MM card and have been getting my meds from a dispensary. dabs, edibles, and high tch content flower.
:wallbash:
Let me guess, they use only "All Organic" pest control methods? Getting an oily feel from hits off the bong of their 'bud'?

Only thing that worked for me was to stop using the bud that had been treated with azadirachtin. Feel better within minutes. Tainted bud makes ya feel better for a bit and then the aza kicks it up a notch.

Lot of folks vomiting every morning around here and a lot of local growers are spraying it (azamax, azatrol, aza-sol) at 15ml/gal during flower at times.

Still waiting for people that are having issues with this to clean out all their paraphernalia and switch to bud they know is clean of aza. You show me 20-30 people that did that and still have the symptoms and I'll start believing it's the cannabis.

Until then I still call bullshit and it's the f'ing organicide. :tiphat:

yoss33

Veteran
We all know that cannabis is good against nausea (and vomiting), and we all know that the dose makes the difference between medicine and poison.
To me, it's understandable that in really high dosage (which is subjective) over the long term cannabis will make some parts of us (brain areas or not) used to these constant high levels and these parts will become very sensitive and excited when the levels drop even a little from the very high levels (i.e. withdrawal symptoms) . Like in the mornings, after not smoking for several hours.
I have felt nausea in the mornings usually in periods of heavy smoking, and I do believe this condition can progress to the here-described vomiting sessions if I step even higher on the every-day dosage. For me, about 1gr/day of strong herb is the threshold where I feel I'm overloading parts of my brain. Strong tolerance develops and the described morning nausea appears from time to time.
The last years I'm smoking only pure (or almost pure) sativas that let me be high from morning till night without developing tolerance and health issues. No problem for me when I go on a business trip abroad and stop smoking for several days. I vividly remember having to go on a business trip after developing heavy tolerance to indicas/hybrids - no appetite, heavy sweating, no sleep; being invited to classy restaurants where I can eat just a few mouthfuls in front of my surprised hosts, blah.
People, each one of us has to keep an eye on what his body is telling him, and keep balance between the medicine and overdoing it. Weed is spectacularly safe, but we are also abusing it spectacularly, and if we don't read the early signals that our body is sending, we'll face what a completely-messed cannabinoid system means.
We see in the posts above many people who didn't know of this possible problem and suffered for years what could be avoided by just stepping back on the dosage, or changing strains when the first, not-so-serious symptoms occur.

ozza

Veteran
I love how most of the posts agreeing with the sickness are first time poster and one time posters.

The doctors tried to tell me this was happening to me. It wasn't, it is a made up syndrome and it is rubbish.

After a while they told me I had gastro and severe acid reflux. Took bullshit pills didn't help. Got off weed didn't help. Nothing helped.

The doctors need to look harder. Weed heads start to not eat as it will ruin high. I had basically made myself a habitual bulimic. Throwing up to release acid built up in my system from not eating. The hot showers seem to stop the burn of the Stomach ulcers you have given yourself from not eating and acid sitting in your gut.

I know it sounds dumb but I had a lot of shit going on, sorta didn't even know it was happening. Let myself get real bad.

I know eat don't throw up and haven't given up on Mary.

TheCleanGame

Veteran
I love how most of the posts agreeing with the sickness are first time poster and one time posters.

The doctors tried to tell me this was happening to me. It wasn't, it is a made up syndrome and it is rubbish.

After a while they told me I had gastro and severe acid reflux. Took bullshit pills didn't help. Got off weed didn't help. Nothing helped.

The doctors need to look harder. Weed heads start to not eat as it will ruin high. I had basically made myself a habitual bulimic. Throwing up to release acid built up in my system from not eating. The hot showers seem to stop the burn of the Stomach ulcers you have given yourself from not eating and acid sitting in your gut.

I know it sounds dumb but I had a lot of shit going on, sorta didn't even know it was happening. Let myself get real bad.

I know eat don't throw up and haven't given up on Mary.

That brings up an interesting point. The azadiractin acts on your stomach flora. Unless you 'correct' your digestive system, the symptoms of stomach pain will continue for a while.

WANT TO FIX YOUR STOMACH PAIN?!
Here's what worked for me, every time so far. (I've been poisoned with the azadirachtin several times over several years now.)

Roast up a full head of garlic in olive oil. Eat the whole thing slowly, take your time as it builds up some wicked heartburn if you eat it too quickly.

45 minutes later, eat a LIVE fermented food. For the "A" blood type I recommend yogurt. The "O" and "B" blood types can have kimchee or saurkraut, I forget what the AB blood type can eat. This will put beneficial enzymes and yeasts into your stomach and digestive system.

Do this twice or three times a day for a week or two. :woohoo:

The garlic burns everything out and the fermented food puts the good stuff back in.

You're Welcome

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
mmmm garlic hell I do that anyways....hate yogurt but love sour k and kimchee....maybe cause I eat all that regularly is why I never had any issues...its rare I spray anything in flower also

devilgoob

Veteran
Garlic is great. I had parasites, really oily shits for weeks, my heart and body felt bad. I was pissing cloudy. My head was cloudy and my heart was palpitating. No matter how much water I drank, it always stank and I knew some sort of biota was not acting right. Throughout my body. So they release their chemicals, and you must drink water to get rid of their waste also. So I was either losing electrolytes through drinking water, to solute the waste of all these...biota. LOL Fungus, and I saw black things. Casings of fungus? Something.

Garlic will burn you, and will make you want to kind of, throw up, but it's weird, you take by the tablespoon over days.

You start pissing out more stuff. Your chest feels better, your heart feels better. You no longer have to drink a lot of water, to remain headache free. Your poop changes though, remember when you flush or kill biota in your body, you kill your own.

People above say ^^ Bifidis Regularis. People ask if it works. I did it, my shit changed to the correct smell.

I've done this a few times when everything is disregulated, and it changes from a sharp smell, to the correct smell. The biota that were in my stomach when I ate healthy.

When I ate healthy, I had healthy smelling farts. In japan and other places they have fart smellers. A human does this, and monitors their own health, they just don't know it.

I've had this before, to a degree.

I've also noticed over time, how cannabis affects how I perceive heat and I've had times I'd feel naseous and would puke if I ate more than a few bites.

I have a feeling, cannabinoids also have roots in hibernative modes, and may have allowed humans to choose to sleep more, eat more, and create more heat not moving. I mean you sweat when you smoke, and it's not just your brain, your cells are working a little more.

Sometimes and animal shakes, but this is muscular. Activate the inner heat, in your cells.

I've noticed I have an up-north adaptation. It doesn't always work. It's like the diving reflex, sometimes it doesn't always kick in correctly, but when it does in 40F weather I can go no shirt. Your body would never burn heat like a furnace sitting there, but if you're sleeping, you need that.

I've thought about it being that for quite sometime, please think about it, and let me know.

I had this, because of overuse. You smoke to much and your brain literally sees no use for all the cells, because the cells are overdoing their job, so they depopulate...with the brain thinking "because the system is activating so well, that it could do that with even less cells."

A good way to help your body get over feeling like throwing up, is acting on the impulse a lot, then trying to eat right after.
For heat? A constant cold shower, that activates the cannabinoid heat system.

It burns in the cells to heat you. The body would waste itself if it did this all the time, but animals do it in hibernation. It's totally the cannabinoid system relating to hibernatation.

On a further note, we switch mind modes in seasons, and I believe it helps and facilitates those mode changes, which are also related to the depression which hibernation causes so that, any threat is met with unprecedented scary violence right away, food can be stored (the long chained (people who smoke, carry more of these, which could be bad, but signals that it's storing higher-energy fat molecules more, when we smoke.)

You want to get your body hot, and take a hot shower, not cold. Cold satifies, hot actual catharisizes the impulses changes them.

Paranoia also happens, gee haha. When winter comes, everyone around you is shit, and your food is at risk. People who are paranoid of people, enjoy smoking marijuana because it makes them on a plane with the side of the mind that protects itself. People who are social will freak, aware of this folly, that marijuana remove. It's not so much as remove, as put you in a bubble alone. For some this calms, for others it means disconnecting from others. This is why when you're older, the urge or the thing that causes paranoia increases, because your thoughts about joining society or making things social, makes you dependant on others. This is why some people freak, because they realize they can't be by themselves and more non-communicative. For them it's comfort, for others it's schizoid. People who are schizoid manage how important the word is, in relation to their ego, with marijuana. It makes it far less threatening.

Social relations change when winter comes.

vapor

Veteran
Do you think there is a connection to circadian rhythm? Waking up and forcing your self to wake up in the middle of body process? When i was younger and fishing full time i would wake up almost every morning early and tired and i would puke my guts out. After i stopped fishing ands slept in for a few week{waking up when my body did not forced} The puking and sick stomach went away for me.....I use cbd regularly and i vape all day and take edibles, as well i take opiates for a spinal cord injury{not as many as when it first happened but they are a regular part of my life for almost 10 years} Interesting conversation.....One thing has remained the same i have always used cannabis heavy user.....
ps i am a yogurt fiend....we make it ourselves most of the time....

TheCleanGame

Veteran
Garlic is great. I had parasites, really oily shits for weeks, my heart and body felt bad. I was pissing cloudy. My head was cloudy and my heart was palpitating. No matter how much water I drank, it always stank and I knew some sort of biota was not acting right.
Wow... Can't even imagine what led to that condition, glad you got past it. Garlic is super powerful. Eat it slow till you get used to it though! Oi!

When i was younger and fishing full time i would wake up almost every morning early and tired and i would puke my guts out. After i stopped fishing ands slept in for a few week{waking up when my body did not forced} The puking and sick stomach went away for me....
I would look more toward what you were eating the night before. I take it your diet also changed a bit when you stopped fishing? Lot of fish I can't eat that would make me barf in the morning after a meal of it. :tiphat:

Last edited:

Gry

I had the same symptoms many of you describe. Posts # 80, 77, and sixty one, hit real close to home. I found relief with really really hot water and canna extracts. I have scar tissue down the length of my spine as a result. Lost opportunities, friends, and had a lot of problems. Was prescribed tons of anti depressants, benos, opiates etc. Turned out to be kidney cancer. Clear cell.
I had problems communicating to the dr that I was not interested in a lawsuit, I just did not want the next patent to be treated the same as I had been.

vapor

Veteran
grew up eating veggies out of the garden and fish from the deep ocean, deer from the forrest. No MacDonald's or any fast food convenience were i grew up! The way it was growing up was our big meal was at lunch time, that's when we ate roast or fish or what have you, in the evenings it was usually light like soup or berries and fruit, maybe some fresh bread, that was 20 years straight wash rinse repeat.I think it was the stress of forcing yourself to wake up when your body want to be asleep for me anyways..

I know a couple of guys with this horrific condition. Not sure how i'd react to such a diagnosis. So sorry for those of you dealing with this

madalasatori

Veteran
Since I went to amsterdam last month my consumption has increased, added to that me spending the lat few weeks eating cannabis brownies. I have been feeling nauseous every morning since my trip but it normally goes. Today it is so bad that I pretty much incapacitated. Also last night I smoked a large amount, much more than normal. I think I may have this syndrome!

W

wegobigupnorth

Do you think there is a connection to circadian rhythm? Waking up and forcing your self to wake up in the middle of body process? When i was younger and fishing full time i would wake up almost every morning early and tired and i would puke my guts out. After i stopped fishing ands slept in for a few week{waking up when my body did not forced} The puking and sick stomach went away for me.......

VERY interesting you say this. I thought I had this cannabis hyermises bullshit thing too and was scared to DEATH because weed really saved my life. I was able to get off a huge dose of oxycontin and benzo's with the help of high grade cannabis and I also always suffered from insomnia and I remember as a teenager their would be times where I would wake up after getting a terrible sleep, I would maybe get an hour after lying in bed tossing in turning for 9 hours and when I would finally fall asleep I would have these very vivid dreams and the dreams would cause me to wake up because I would get a falling sensation of get startled and as soon as I would jolt awake I could feel pain in my stomach and I could literally taste in my mouth that I was going to puke...I would run to the bathroom puke in the toilet and...TURN THE SHOWER ON RIGHT AWAY.

The shower would make me feel better but in my opinion it was because a hot shower really woke me up...Once I would wake up and shake off the grogginess after jolting awake from a terrible sleep and I would smoke a bong it would settle my stomach...This would only happen once in a blue moon as a teenager and I was a daily user at the time.

Now, get this, I am VERY sensitive to nausea BUT the only time I will puke is I do not get a good nights rest, as soon as I open my eyes I will feel sick and the only time I do not get a good rest is if I either do not have cannabis (rarely happens) or I get the wrong strain/one that is not a strong Indica that won't put me to sleep. So, I told my doctor the only time I was throwing up was when I had the wrong type of cannabis.

Of course, he starts talking about this syndrome shit and says I need to stop smoking weed and I will feel better. I was shocked to hear this and started sweating when I looked up this shit because it seemed like I had everything in common with it...

BULLSHIT. I quit smoking weed for months and my health declined rapidly. After I adjusted and finally started sleeping and eating a little better, I would STILL puke any time I did not get a good rest and this was happening WAY more often as I did not have cannabis to help me.

I do not believe in this. My conclusion for my personally is that I get sick when I do not sleep, I am very sensitive to it as I also have severe tinnitus (ringing in my ear) so when I don't sleep that is elevated and I am sensitive to light as well, makes me throw up. Weed helps this but I also 100% believe it could be a by product in the weed such as a nasty fertilizer or spray used or it could just be that some are sensitive to smoke. YOU EVER NOTICE THAT PEOPLE SAY WHEN THEY SWITCH TO CONCENTRATES IT STOPS? That is probably because they are having to inhale way less smoke to get strong effects...OR because their is no more nasty fertilizer contiaminates...Maybe I need to get on the shatter band wagon. I have been avoiding it because my tolerance is already fucked and if I start smoking that shit weed probably won't do it for me anymore but i want to test if I feel any better...

Inhaling any smoke other then cannabis makes me feel sick and I think it is just because cannabis is so great at suppressing nausea that I can handle it because if I am feeling sick I will puke as soon as the hot smoke or vapor hits my mouth...Smoke is not good to be inhaling all the time for sure and if your smoking a shit load of chemmy weed...well..

I also think just the lifestyle of some pot heads can cause this. Staying inside all day inhaling smoke, eating junk and fast food, maybe not getting enough exercise....The time that I am most prone to throw up is when I do not eat right...Espically if I say, eat mcdonalds right before I got to sleep, and if I sleep on my stomach esp..oh man...crazy how sensitive I am to everything now. I used to be the guy drinking a 40oz of hard liqour before going out to the bar and now even a few beer makes me feel gross. I guess thats not a terrible thing but I do really miss how social I used to be...

For me personally, I think without cannabis I would be suffering a lot more. When I would have my bouts of throwing up, if I had no cannabis I would have been throwing up for days before I would go to a hospital and they would give my an IV of meds to stop the sickness (I would throw up any pills instantly) if I had cannabis, yeah I would wake up and maybe spend a terrible half hour in the bathroom dry heaving and puking but then after it would stop I would go hit a bong quick, usually throw up one more time after exhaling but then I would get HUNGRY. Would go from puking to eating in 10 minutes...I do not know what people like me do without cannabis when they are so sick they can't even swallow a fucking gravol.

This is why I am so happy I am growing my own organics. No more worrying about this shit...

Last edited:
W

wegobigupnorth

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome is real! My 23 year old son has had stomach problems since he's graduated high school , back in 2009 he started getting such severe pain with vomiting that would lead him to the ER... The drs ran all sorts of testings and the only thing they would come up with was gastritis . Every year since then it has gotten worse and worse ! While in high school he played football all four years, weighing over 200 lbs of just about pure muscle at 6 feet tall. The last couple years have been bad bouts of pain and usually starts in the a.m. And he has learned that taking hot showers helps and most times keeps him out of the ER. Back I'm aug 2013 he had another episode that brought him to the ER since the multiple hot showers weren't seeming to work! Since this has been an on going thing the drs started asking if he took drugs , he always said no ( and never told them he smoked pot since that was the only drug he did) ct scans , MRI , ultra sounds labs were always in the normal range. When we had a follow up appt with his GI dr his dr asked if there was anything at home he could do to help with the pain , my son replied with " yes I take hot showers !" The dr then asked if he smoked pot to help relieve the pain , I jumped in to say yes! I felt like I was throwing him under the bus but being his mother and worried about him since this has been going on for years with losing weight and suffering tremendously I was willing to do or say anything to get answers and help ! The dr them told us about cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome , of course my son didn't believe it and me being a smoker also , I had my doubts but was willing to hear it ! Dr said to quit smoking and if the problems stop then problems solved ! My son didn't stop smoking and several weeks later was back in the ER , they admitted him to the hospital since his blood level was low and severely dehydrated! They did scopes up and down and found his galbladder was not working properly and had to remove it , also he had became malnutrition so they had to start feeding him thru the veined ( TPN with picc line which feeds him directly through the heart) he was in the hospital with non stop pain for two months, only home about 4 different times in those two months but came back the next day with pain ( he smoked everytime he came home) this was back in sept when they put the TPN bag on him and he still has it to this day) my son goes to the ER at least once a month if not once a week and they treat him like a drug addict since I told on him for smoking pot and its now on his record ! It takes high doses of *daludid (spelling) to get him out of pain ! The drs can't find anything else wrong with him so I demanded a second opinion which he now has seen a specialist fro!

So, your son is taking dilaudid, or hydromorphone, an extremely potent opiate, more so then morphine or heroin by weight but you are blaming marijuana?

There is no way weed did all that to him. Yes malnutrition maybe but how can you blame weed for it? He obviously was not smoking weed while he was in hospital and you said he only came home 4 times in months...That sounds like he had some good breaks off weed and while in the hosptial. did symptoms totally stop when he stopped smoking? Why the hell would he start again then? My guess is its not weed...Get him off the opiates!!!

waveguide

Veteran
is there a word for bullshit society syndrome? i get that all the time, it's a real trouble.

wegobig - might help, might not - in TCM ears are connected to kidneys.. and i also notice that my neck has a lot to do with my ears.. like certain positions even have an immediate, loud (many decibel) effect.

one thing i never take time to do is hang my head off the edge of the bed (i usually do a bit of qi gong or stretching) but i figure it would have an effect.

W

wegobigupnorth

Might be related to the kidneys...I really believe it is related to my mdma/XTC usage in high school sadly. Could have been from the noise at the raves of course too not that I went to a ton of them but I did go to more then a few I guess. I know certain medications can cause it and I have read a little online from people posting how they believe mdma and other stimulants caused their tinnitus...

Had it since I was 16. Only in one ear. It sucks, large. Some days I hardly notice and other days it drives me mad...

W

WeetisPotPie

Of course the conclusions are flawed. To just say cannabis use causes these symptoms shows that. This isn't a controlled study so the outside influences are being ignored. For instance did these subjects show any reaction to butane, how were they smoking the cannabis? Was the cannabis possibly tainted? Mold, fungus or other poor cultivation techniques. What form was the cannabis in? Edibles, shatter, hash, raw? What other drugs were consumed? Caffeine, tobacco, alcohol or who knows what. The medical community is very good with coming up with studies to further their own agenda. Not saying this is this case here, or that the sickness isn't related to marijuana consumption. But the study is flawed, and hot showers can help relieve lots of symptoms, so that in it self doesn't really prove anything. This is a theory of what may be causing a reaction after cannabis use. And smoking or using more 2 times of week is hardly heavy user, or even close. A controlled study would need to prove any of this.

Latest posts

Latest posts