What's new

3x3 trays with no grating/grooves? Cheap ingenius ideas to raise pots ?

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
I got some trays to start some ebb and flow but they dont have any grating or grooves on the bottom.

I thought about stuff like the rubber door mats or the kind you stand on so your feet dont hurt. But then that got kinda expensive.

I thought about foam board but that seems like alot of cutting and messy.

I thought about milk carton carriers the kind you see behind gas stations but the thought of cutting those seemed messy and im not sure if the gas station would sell them.

I know there is something clever and easy, a reusable plastic grating that im just not thinking of.

Thanks for any help.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Thanks for suggestion.
I Was hoping for something simple and less clean up every harvest im thinking plastic grating type. Even thought about making a pvc type layer of pipes just to keep them raised.

The isles are about 2ft and pulling trays out and emptying rocks then taking them to a cleaning station to wash them for next round would defeat the simplicity of an ebb and flow.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
thanks speed of green
I ended up going with eggcrate louvres for ceiling lighting.

Eggcrate-Louver-LIPL-21-24WF--e1329631882513.jpg

Drop That Sound

Wouldn't the egg crate trap a lot of water and debris?

Maybe you could use a heat gun on the bottom of the tray and warm up the plastic and shove a small block into it a bunch of times, careful not to melt a hole. Just enough bumps where the pots sit to raise them up.

One side of waffle iron with the outer rim ground off might work good! just turn it on and press it in before it gets to hot. Maybe not though just one square at a time would probably work better...

w4tch

If you goto the dollar store you can probably find dish drying racks, flip them upside down, but you'll lose a few inches..

You can use a wood shim and give the table a SMALL slope. Poke a hole in the tray and let the water drain underneath.

Just gotta get creative sometimes. Stone will work perfectly fine and so will that plastic lighting material

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Arts and Crafts supply stores sell sheets of plastic mesh called "plastic canvas" used for embroidery. They are relatively thin, just enough to let the pots drain and access air when the water drains. They come in a number of rectangular and circular sizes. Largest rectangles I've seen are 13.5" x 22.5".