What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

black flood and drain trays Vs. white flood and drain trays?

catalyte

Veteran
I was making plans to get Botanicare's White Flood and Drain Trays but then for some reason got flash backs to the GH Aeroflo 32 that i ran a couple years ago and how it seemed to attract algae growth inside the white plastic "gutters" with net pots inside....

Let me know if any of you guys have any experience with algae on Flood tables and if my concern for algae is justified with these White Botanicare Trays!

Mudraya

I've used those for years and I only got algae when there was standing water once due to forgetting I had to put them on an angle combined with a not so dense canopy that let too much light through.

when I ran flood tables a while ago it was with strait rockwool, the residue of the rockwool would stick to my white tables and it looked like fungus however it was actually rockwool hairs/small pieces.

I dont think color makes any difference. its about light exposure and stagnant water.

However, black would make fungus or any residues less obvious :)

MJINC

For some bizarre reason I always get quoted cheaper for the black trays then the white so I always go black.

catalyte

Veteran
thanks for sharing your experience guys! :yes:

i'm just OCD about designing rooms and i'm doing one with no holds barred atm, has to be top of the line and maximum efficiency!

Mudraya

Botanicare makes the best trays on the market IMO. I've had some of these trays 10+ years and they look just as good and structurally sound as when I bought them.

EL1M1N80R

Here's the deal.

White reflects heat and can result in cooler water temps however, light can penetrate white and that is why you get algae.

Black is light proof but conducts heat, making water temps higher.

Best option is get a white tub and cover it with some kind of reflective sheeting.

:tiphat:

catalyte

Veteran
^ thanks for clearing that up :biglaugh:

i don't know if penetrate is the right word.... i'm pretty sure the white plastic *reflects* light.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I have used both white and black flood tables in the same room at the same time. White almost always get's algae, unless the canopy is so dense almost no light can penetrate. Or if using h2o2 in the rez. Use that regularly and algae won't grow.

The black table would also grow algae. Not nearly as much as the white one. Plus only where light was constantly hitting the table and that part of the table needed to be moist for the algae to grow.

If I ever did run flood tables again. I would go with black without a second thought. Much easier to maintain. Light reflecting off the table or a couple degree difference in water that is only in the table for a few mins isn't that big of deal to me.

Mudraya

I almost always have a dense canopy. When I have a few light gaps I still don't get algae. Why? I have the tray at an angle and it drains properly, and have good air circulation. Simple.

catalyte

Veteran
@DoubleTripleOG: from that "side by side" experience it seems black is the way to go.

I've only used black too, but was just interested to see if there really was any point in getting the nice white Botanicare Inside Dimension trays.... i guess was just getting seduced by how nice and clean white looks LOL

back to the drawing board :crazy:

clown baby

i cover my flood tables with pandafilm. Algae will grow on uncovered black tables as well as white. ask me how i know.

Mudraya

IMO it's down to personal preference of course but I originally got white because

A) It reflects that little bit of extra light where there is little.

B) I can see EVERYTHING. Every leaf that drops, every possible bug, if there IS algae, etc...

C) when it comes time to clean it after harvest, I know it's clean.

Last edited:
Black flood are way easier to clean and don't have the tight spaces to get into. Takes about half the time. Botanical is really good quality just not necessary. Black ones are cheaper too