What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

higher yields by increasing light hours at end of flowering

Ogtg2213

No offical reasesrch on cannibis no,at least not that I know of. as far as I know it was Krusty and his group that started it way back in 98ish era.

I've been playing with it for years, the two key points are a stress free grow and lengthening the day time hours. There are many other things you can play with if you use the search bar and type "delayed maturation" but the two I listed are the most important factors that will make or break the ripening period. If you plan to try it make sure you use a strain your very familiar with and know exactly how Ming it takes in your grow room to ripen under normal conditions

BlindDate

Veteran
A lot of comments all based on someones theory or extrapolation from what they already know. Yet, not a single answer based on practice. So, I will do the same thing. I doubt that 2 extra hours in the last 2 weeks is going to slow maturation any. The plants are way too set in their direction by then.There are products such as "Topshooter" that encourage growth in those last 2 weeks. It works very well. I have used it. So combined with a few extra hours might offer a great benefit. Try it, I can't see how it could hurt anything.

DRM Ranch

I remember one of the old forums, probably overgrow had a thread on extended daylength.
Basically 18on/12off for all of flowering. Overall it did give better yields, but not worth the extra 25% time till harvest.

An additional 25% to time to harvest is huge, I can see how that would require an equally huge increase in yield to make it a viable option.

I've been playing with delayed maturation for quite some time now, there is an old thread on it actually. In my experience it's hard to get consistent results, and when I have gotten it to work the extra two weeks of power consumption and time wasn't worth the gains.

I ran 13/11 light schedule
Most runs were so inconsistent I can't even give numbers
3 times I got an extra 5% yield and my 8 week strain took 9 weeks to finish
2 times I got the 10% I was looking for but my 8 week strain took 10 weeks to mature
Most of the time it worked it just screwed me over for my next run because clones were ready but the crop was just starting to turn amber or vice versa.

It can be done, but it's a frustrating mission with inconsistent results. I'm still playing with it but I can't get the results I expected to get

Assuming an additional 10% of weight to your harvest is a realistic goal, and can be had with regularity, the tradeoff might be worth while for some; however my numbers find you end up at a loss on production per day.

16oz in 56 days under 12:12 = 0.285oz/day
17.6oz in 70 days under 13:11 = 0.251oz/day

So even if you do get a bigger yield per harvest you'll produce less over the long run and spend more doing so.

You would need;
20oz in 70 days under 13:11 = 0.285oz/day
Which is a 25% increase in yield just to break even.

DRM Ranch

Ogtg2213

An additional 25% to time to harvest is huge, I can see how that would require an equally huge increase in yield to make it a viable option.

Assuming an additional 10% of weight to your harvest is a realistic goal, and can be had with regularity, the tradeoff might be worth while for some; however my numbers find you end up at a loss on production per day.

16oz in 56 days under 12:12 = 0.285oz/day
17.6oz in 70 days under 13:11 = 0.251oz/day

So even if you do get a bigger yield per harvest you'll produce less over the long run and spend more doing so.

You would need;
20oz in 70 days under 13:11 = 0.285oz/day
Which is a 25% increase in yield just to break even.

DRM Ranch

Yes that's true, and long veg periods also kill yearly production but people still do it for various reasons. I was just giving my advise on what I knew. I wasn't advocating it as a great plan to increase yield, half the time I couldn't even get it to work lol

MikeGreat

I have seen numerous ways to improve production but extending light hours to 18 hours on and 12 off it is not practical or productive in a commercial setting. One most take into account cost of electrical power and production….

Look how mother nature does it, it doesn't shut it lighting down at 12/12. Hell. half my outdoor plants finish before the daylight hits 12/12 and the longer finishers a week after I hit the 12/12 mark. I pay a little less than $.10 a KWH for my electric. So that comes out to a little less than $6.00 to run the extra hour and yield almost 2 lbs. from a 600 in a 4x4.