What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

higher yields by increasing light hours at end of flowering

IngFarmer

good day growers! was reading some tips on how to still increase yield and i came across this info, that increasing the light schedule in the last two weeks of flowering to 14 hours light on helps the plant to increase yield...
any personal experience? or has anybody heard of such a thing?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I do not have experience but would like to see what others say. This run I am trying far red light for 10 minutes before lights off, till 10 minutes after lights off.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
In the last 2 weeks you are not changing that much and I dont think you can improve much, but you can screw it all up.

Shorter daylengths give less yield in less time, longer, more in more time... People reduce the time in the last week or two to help them finish... But the flowers are not putting on any more calyx's at taht point (all being well..) so they cannot gain anything.

Back to the point about "yes you can still fuck them up"... Many people Inc me reduce the light intensity, temperatures, raise lights etc , to make sure the almost finished buds do not cook their terpenes to a state of mediocracy

baduy

Outdoor spring harvest usually give poor to shitty yelds and they flower following an increasing light period so really I don't think so

Loc Dog

Veteran
In the last 2 weeks you are not changing that much and I dont think you can improve much, but you can screw it all up.

Shorter daylengths give less yield in less time, longer, more in more time... People reduce the time in the last week or two to help them finish... But the flowers are not putting on any more calyx's at taht point (all being well..) so they cannot gain anything.

Back to the point about "yes you can still fuck them up"... Many people Inc me reduce the light intensity, temperatures, raise lights etc , to make sure the almost finished buds do not cook their terpenes to a state of mediocracy

How much can light be cut without problems?? I run 2 X 600 watt lights in 4' X 8' tent. Could I cut down to one light on a light mover for last 2 weeks, without the quality suffering?

LedLara

Very possible, Loc dog. I believe that turning down 50% of light would at most slow things down a little due to difference in climate. Ripening may take a little longer, couple days I guess. But why would you do this? saving 50% on the light consumption for a little while might not result in the savings you'd want. How about going LED?

Loc Dog

Veteran
Very possible, Loc dog. I believe that turning down 50% of light would at most slow things down a little due to difference in climate. Ripening may take a little longer, couple days I guess. But why would you do this? saving 50% on the light consumption for a little while might not result in the savings you'd want. How about going LED?

I am looking at Vero 29 Gen 7's, for a few months. I am very poor, and only a make a little money on this hobby. My 2 tents would cost about $3000.00 to light. Would get a lot more bud, but use almost as much electric. Was looking at running them at 90 watts each, 12 per tent. Would only be 110 watt savings, but much more product, I would hope.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Ya know I know of 2 totally unrelated large scale grows having timer malfunction which went unnoticed and both parties had record yields... I don't know what to think about that both parties fixed the issues so it was never done again n I would never try it purposely... as far as shortening the cycle the only reason to do it is if Ya growing true sativas... then it's necessary

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
How much can light be cut without problems?? I run 2 X 600 watt lights in 4' X 8' tent. Could I cut down to one light on a light mover for last 2 weeks, without the quality suffering?

In summer, I would bet you that your quality will go up , or rather, not drop off...

It is a trick we learned from a really serious group of kiwis who were working around London big time. Really serious guys with very well thought out techniques. It was from them that we found out the "cut half the lights for the last 2 weeks trick"

In summer, when temps over 30 start to fry varieties suffer, some worse than others... in the garden below, at 35 degrees, beside the Mediterranean, the Pot of Gold was so big she rotted most of her big colas in the last week. Plants are not growing at all by then, just finishing what they have, temperatures damaging terpenes is the biggest problem at this point, the "yield" is already done and dusted, your job is to help those little old ladies live out their last few days in comfort and peace, ..think warm autumn sun..not in a blazing desert

picture.php

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As chaos says!,,,
adding more light at the end of a run would have my alarm bells ringing! and in my experience,,by dropping a lamp before harvest and giving them a gentle last couple of weeks seems to help the crop keep its stinkiness and stickyness,,,,,
No way would i increase power in the last 2 weeks! decrease yes!,,,,,,,s2

IngFarmer

Ya know I know of 2 totally unrelated large scale grows having timer malfunction which went unnoticed and both parties had record yields... I don't know what to think about that both parties fixed the issues so it was never done again n I would never try it purposely... as far as shortening the cycle the only reason to do it is if Ya growing true sativas... then it's necessary

can you explain what you mean by time malfunctions in this case you heard of ? more light times or less light times?

LedLara

Makes total sense to have cooler temps, less light and maybe more red sprectum towards the end.. hence autumn. Some people play with a few days total darkness, or even giving cold water to shock the plant into that final ripening stage

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
Makes total sense to have cooler temps, less light and maybe more red sprectum towards the end.. hence autumn. Some people play with a few days total darkness, or even giving cold water to shock the plant into that final ripening stage

Yes, there is also the theory that plants make terpenes at night, and some get lost during the day, so harvest at dawn. This is on my next "to do" list, and, like most good ideas, it makes perfect logical sense

BCNeil

I remember one of the old forums, probably overgrow had a thread on extended daylength.
Basically 18on/12off for all of flowering. Overall it did give better yields, but not worth the extra 25% time till harvest.

RedBeardy5

I had a tent that the power strip some how got unplugged. Since I was running the tent at night I did not notice for a while. Temps rose into the 90's everyday. I harvested it and it was frosty and smelled amazing. I then ran it again with the temperature dialed in. Only difference was denser bubs...

LedLara

RedBeardy, what do you mean by power strip in your case? what should it do, when functioning as it's meant to?

thanks!

RedBeardy5

My power strip for electrical outlets was connected to my exhaust. I still practice low temperatures at the end of flower though, may not make a big difference but every bit counts.

Ogtg2213

I've been playing with delayed maturation for quite some time now, there is an old thread on it actually. In my experience it's hard to get consistent results, and when I have gotten it to work the extra two weeks of power consumption and time wasn't worth the gains.

I ran 13/11 light schedule
Most runs were so inconsistent I can't even give numbers
3 times I got an extra 5% yield and my 8 week strain took 9 weeks to finish
2 times I got the 10% I was looking for but my 8 week strain took 10 weeks to mature
Most of the time it worked it just screwed me over for my next run because clones were ready but the crop was just starting to turn amber or vice versa.

It can be done, but it's a frustrating mission with inconsistent results. I'm still playing with it but I can't get the results I expected to get

Latest posts

Latest posts