What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Barneys blue cheese grow diary 400W HPS + tent

Budpirate

The yellow tips = excess nitrogen

the downturned leaves do indicate a pH issue, but I think your pH may be low instead of high. Potting soil tends to go low pH when used with chemical fertilizers, so you may need to water in a little lime / pH up or just stop using the vinegar! Any 'nute deficiencies' may be because your pH is out of range.

Backing off on feeding so much and feeding every other watering may be all it takes IMO, but definitely check the pH of your solution. Your plants were fine before the vinegar, yes? I'd give them a good flush with tap water and then feed with half strength nute solution. If you don't want to mess with pH testing and all of that, just feed 1/2 strength nutes or even 1/2 strength every other watering.

Yeah i have also been thinking to start feeding less and getting calibration fluids for my ph-meter to try and get on top of this ph-issue/nutrient issue.

Altho these issues started before i started with the vineger, that i have been adding for like 3 weeks now, but the issues had already started before that. I think the issues started to develop when i started pruning quite a bit of leaves, ended up taking of quite a bit of leaves and its after that i started getting these issues, first quite "light" and its progressed to more and more leaves. I do however think youre on to something with the ph being low rather than high cause the plants dont really seem to be doing better with the vineger, if anything they are doing ever so slightly worse with more of the older leaves yellowing / getting brown spots.

Also pebbles may have given me pH issues in the past, even after washing the heck out of them, so I won't be using them again. I am instead planning to use a layer of glass marbles (!) on top of my potting soil to stop peat/coco/vermicullite dust from blowing onto the buds and into the room.
Yeah i have also read a little about other pepole having ph issues with clay pebbles, i have not had issues with em so far personally but i usually use much less of them in my soil, before i have only been doing micro grows in much smaller pots, using organic soil and perlite+vermiculite with very good results, but when i started this grow with 6 big pots i decided to go with just clay pebbles for drainage in the soil cause would be a bit pricy to get enough perlite and vermiculite for all the soil, so just ended up mixing out a couple of litres of perlite and vermiculite that i had laying arround and then adding a bunch of big clay pebbles on top of the small clay pebbles already pre-mixed into the soil.

Thanks for a helpful post!

Budpirate

Plants are are about 9 weeks old in total now, and have been flowering 5 weeks tomorrow.

Things are doing ok in the tent, the ph issues / nute def have been progressing a little bit and more of the plants leaves are now affected.

picture.php

Starting to get some real interesting smells in the tent, when i rub the leaves and stems i get a real fruity and nice smell! The plants are in full budding-mode now, tops are starting to fatten up a lil bit and trichomes are developing. Im not very impressed by how much bud development ive seen so far but hopefully they will fatten up quite a bit more later in flowering, im expecting they will need to flower for 4-5 more weeks before they are ready for harvesting.

picture.php

They seem to have stopped their early flowering - stretching, they ended up filling the tent up pretty well, guess i could have waited like a week or two with starting flowering to fill the tent up a bit more cause there is still a little space out in the edges. However might not have been entierly optimal to fill the tent up to the edges when using a 400w hps, might have been something to do if i was using a 600w hps.

Took the plants out of the tent earlier to snap some pics for you guys, the pictures dont really turn out that good when takenin the tent under the hps.

The indica pheno:
picture.php

This plant is the most compact of all, developing fattest buds and also seems to be the one least affected by the ph/nute issues. Also smells a bit diffrent than the others.

"hybrid/sativa pheno"
picture.php

"hybrid/sativa pheno" with a package of OCB papes for scale:
picture.php

Budpirate

Picture of one of the "hybrid/sativa pheno" taken from the side so you guys can get an idea of the size of the plants
picture.php

Some bud pics for you guys :)
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Budpirate

PH issue / nute def pics:

Mostly im seeing older leaves turning yellow, drying out in the tips and eventually drying completely and falling off
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Some leaves also develop these brownish spots on the leaves or by the edges of the leaves
picture.php

Have also noticed more younger leaves have started to loose some of their deeper green color and starting to turn a bit yellow, and most leaves bouth younger and older have turned a bit of yellow on the very tip of the leaves

I will see if i can get my hands on a calibrated ph-meter to see whats going on with the ph. Will be more careful with feeding the plant nutes in the future (will start feeding like 2 ml bio bloom & topmax per litre of water every second watering) and will also stop mixing in vineger with the water to see how the plants respond.

Budpirate

Oh and also, noticed a bunch of leaves have developed purple-ish stems, cannot remember from my earlier research on this strain if this is something to expect with this strain or if it has to do with the ph issues / nute def

Gelado`

Veteran
Purple stems may merely be a genetic thing, so I wouldn't worry about that too much! You can get an aquarium pH test kit (liquid) for like $5-15 bucks. I bought one at a pet store and it's enough for like a hundred tests. I was hoping not to have to pH in ProMix but since I'm feeding lightly and the stuff is supposed to buffer for ten weeks, I should be just fine.

My gut tells me feeding with slightly alkaline tap water and less nutes should do it for you. Your lockout issues may hurt yields a little, but now it's time for them to fatten up so it might be ok. I'd flush ASAP.

Also about not filling out the tent entirely; IMO that's a good thing. More breathing room and less chance of mold. :)

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
i added calmag every watering up till bout week 5, just a smidge go keep my plant healthy, i think calcium should be a macro nutrient , just my 2 cents, in my non expert opinion they look hungry or locked out, whenever my plants get yellowish i save up some urine nd add to the water, it seems to work its magic somehow every time, dont laugh , its free , and full of sterile nutrients , i take a few leaks in a huge big gulp circle k cup, then mix with my water 1 /20 parts in flower , 1/10 parts in veg. keep up the good work ,im getting some of these beans soon so i need a good grow and a smoke report please

Budpirate

Ok guys, 42 days o flowering done now, going into seventh week now.

picture.php

There has been a bunch of development with the trichomes the last days, buds and leaves arround the buds are getting covered with trichomes. The plants are pretty stinky now, the "indica pheno" plant has a smell of its own but the other ones have a real strong and fruity weed smell, smells amazing when leaves and stems are rubbed :) Pistils have also started turning orange in some of the bigger tops.
picture.php

Buds have also started to fatten up a little bit now
picture.php

picture.php

The plants are flowering on faster than i thought they would, feels like they are developing a ton faster now than they did say 7-10 days ago, much more happening now. Perhaps barneysfarm aint that far off with their 52-57 days of flowering time on this strain, i do however belive they will need like at least 63 days to finish flowering out properly. I guess i will see how it goes but im planning for harvesting em in 3 weeks or so, or earlier if they seem like they are finished i guess.

I will keep u guys posted :)

MJINC

Looking very good. I have some blue cheese seeds so might start those after my current run. I would just pay attention to the plant for finishing. When you start to see your trichomes changing color you know you're on the finishing straight

Lethal

Hi Budpirate,

time to visit your thread again spend some quality time here. Overall very nicely looking tent, all the buds standing around waiting to get even fatter :) Keep an eye on the trichomes to see when they are ready to get chopped, I can't wait to get to the same point.

keep it up Lethal :tiphat:

Budpirate

Yeah guys i will keep an eye on those trichomes for sure, have a little pocket microscope that i usually check em out with, the magnification is a little bit much for checking trichomes without it being a bit of a hassle but it has done the job before :) In fact i have not even checked the trichomes out yet as the plants are just reaching maturity, they are however covered in trichomes by now, i will get my camera out and snap some pics for an update later today :)

Budpirate

Ok guys, today is 48 days of flowering.

Ok guys, today is 48 days of flowering.

Buds are fattening up and has gotten real nice and stinky in the tent this last week.
picture.php

Have just been givin em water last waterings to try and do a a light flush to get out some of the built up nutes in the soil. I will be doing a more proper flush with next watering, water em with like 2-3 times the size of the pots give em a good flushing, might finish up the flush with like flushing 5 litres of some real weak, like 25%, bio bloom and topmax, trough the pots, so that i wont flush too much nutes out of the soil so that they have something to work with while they finish flowering.

One of the three "hybrid/sativa -pheno" plants has started to develop a lot more orange calyxes than the other plants (i know you cant rly see it to well on this pic taken under the hps light xD)
picture.php

A Bunch of buds on sticks :-D
picture.php

Heres a pic of the stems of the indica pheno plant, they have all developed thick and nice stems able to easily support the plants, stems grew fatter quickly as soon as i started the LST. I have been using some 1,5mm thick solid steel wire and some regular thread for training the plants. I like to start off the LST with the steel wire cause you can bend it and easily adjust the training in ways which is a bit trickier when using strings, has been working great for me, have been using lst + topping in almost every grow since i have just been doing micro growing before.
picture.php

picture.php

When i rub the stems and leaves of the three "hybrid/sativa -pheno" plants it absolutely stinks of this fruity ganja smell while the indica pheno plant has a totally diffrent smell, cant rly explain it too well, its less fruity and more of a herbal smell (and i mean herbal in the non weed - herbal sense :-D ). The indica plant does not stink nearly as much as the others, altho when i take any of the plants out of the tent the whole room starts stinking weed immedietly so this is a pretty stinky strain no matter pheno :) My carbon filter is handling the smell like a boss tho, keeping it nice and smell free in the room where the tent sits, also filters out the smell from when i vape weed in the room where the tent sits :-D

Budpirate

Hey guys!

Been a while since last update but im still up and running!
picture.php

Just finished 9 weeks of flowering the other day, going into tenth week now! Plants have been fattening up and were not ready for harvesting at 9 weeks of flower, were still some clear trichomes and barely any that had started turning dark when i checked trichomes out @ 9 weeks. Im planning to let em go 67-69 days and hope they will be ready by then.

The buds have gotten quite a bit fatter and there are a bunch of trichomes.
picture.php

One oddly shaped top, think it will be the biggest one
picture.php

I think the two more bushy plants sitting in the back of the tent will give biggest yields
picture.php

Will update again before i chop em in a couple of days! :)

Budpirate

Hey guys!

So harvesting is under way as im writing this :) Just checked trichomes and seems like the extra six days did the job, the trichomes are now all milky and about 20-30% have gone amber or "half" amber. Im taking a bunch of pics during the harvesting ill post later :)

Budpirate

Hmm just tried to upload some pics of some chopped bud for you guys but seems im out of space in my album :S Noticed i was out of space with my last update, had to delete a couple of pics in the album to make room for my last update.

Altho i just passed 50 posts a couple of minutes ago so i should get more storage space in my albums now right? I guess it can take some time before i get access to all features you get as a member when you pass 50 posts :) I will try to post pics again later!

Hey man. Was great reading through your posts as I'm currently running the Barneys Blue Cheese. I'm struggling to find the blueberry or cheese smell from it. We are 5 weeks in flower now and definitely a vigorous bush. Just wondering if any cheese or blueberry cane through with yours

Budpirate

Well tbh none of my plants really smell like cheese or blueberries, they stink of weed mostly x) But yeah i guess i get what pepole mean with cheese/blueberry scent from weed, the most indica of my plants seem to have this cheesy smell to it, while the others have a stronger and more fruity smell, not rly blueberry-smell i would say but its in that direction.

Also you have a while of flowering left to do as you are just 5 weeks in. Seems like when you flower this strain there isnt that much happening in early flowering compared to how things take off the last like 2-3 weeks. I mean sure my plants were stinky at 5 weeks aswell but nothing compared to how they have been this last week. So as you still have probs like 4-5 weeks left of flower i think you will see a bunch of development with the smell :)

Budpirate

There we go seems like i can upload more pics into my albums now :)

picture.php

Freshly chopped buds on sticks from the indica pheno plant
All this trimming will take some time xD not even half done with first plant

Latest posts

Latest posts