What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need DWC advice and tips

B

bionicchronic

its cold like that cause they are out of the tent in a room with cold air hugging the floors and leaking through (poor insulation under house) the water temp was 62 with the canopy temp being 82 LOL once they are back in the tent (tomorrow) the water temp will go up and ill have to start using frozen 2liters again

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
its cold like that cause they are out of the tent in a room with cold air hugging the floors and leaking through (poor insulation under house) the water temp was 62 with the canopy temp being 82 LOL once they are back in the tent (tomorrow) the water temp will go up and ill have to start using frozen 2liters again

I have been storing 5 gallon buckets of mixed solution on back steps, in black buckets with lids. Dumping 3 gallons a day of 30 something F water.

Thinking about freezing mixed nutes, in something it will easily slide out of.

I would love to find something to insulate the buckets with.

B

bionicchronic

I have been storing 5 gallon buckets of mixed solution on back steps, in black buckets with lids. Dumping 3 gallons a day of 30 something F water.

Thinking about freezing mixed nutes, in something it will easily slide out of.

I would love to find something to insulate the buckets with.
wind sheild reflectors ive seen help 5 gal for insulation.

taking pics now

Loc Dog

Veteran
I am not sure if you can post pictures till 50 posts.

Ogtg2213

Below 66F, plants think winter is coming, above 72F, dissolved oxygen drops off rapidly.

Below 65 hinders nutrient uptake

And over 72 D O levels Don't drop off much, but over 72 root rot does multiply at an alarming rate, Cant remember the numbers on that one but a quick google search would tell anyone who's interested

Attachments

• IMG_2329.JPG
    IMG_2329.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 14
B

bionicchronic

ok here we go ppm is at 527 (they been feeding)

plant A : green crack cut x fpog

Attachments

• 0128172153.jpg
    0128172153.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 0128172153a.jpg
    0128172153a.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 0128172200.jpg
    0128172200.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 10
B

bionicchronic

plant b: gorilla bubble
note one of the feeder roots got a rot spot which stopped rotting but stayed weak and the result is pictured. will the root be fine? or is it about to rot away?

Attachments

• 0128172151b.jpg
    0128172151b.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 0128172151c.jpg
    0128172151c.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 0128172234.jpg
    0128172234.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 10
B

bionicchronic

idk why all my pics are coming out sideways.
plants C, D and F theres some black shit on the roots??? but it wipes off at my fingertips? is it algae?

Attachments

• 0128172156a.jpg
    0128172156a.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 0128172156.jpg
    0128172156.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 0128172158.jpg
    0128172158.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 0128172155a.jpg
    0128172155a.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 0128172155.jpg
    0128172155.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 9
B

bionicchronic

again sorry about the sideways pictures. is this the brown stuff u guys were talking about building up on waterline?

Attachments

• 0128172232.jpg
    0128172232.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 0128172154b.jpg
    0128172154b.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 12
B

bionicchronic

wow those last two.didnt come out sideways. ill take pics sideways from now on. you guys have been giving me really good feedback i cant wait to see what kind of feeback i get from these pics.

Loc Dog

Veteran
idk why all my pics are coming out sideways.
plants C, D and F theres some black shit on the roots??? but it wipes off at my fingertips? is it algae?

If you are not in a legal state, would not show fingerprints in photos.

Ogtg2213

Definatly the beginning of root rot

Wash with h202, rinse and repeate until roots are white, figure out why and how it started, solve those issues and you should be able to milk it to harvest.

You need at maintain 70 f for roots in water hydro systems. Temp spikes between frozen your bottles are no good, either buy a chiller or switch your system to ebb n flow or ppk if you can't afford a chiller

B

bionicchronic

Definatly the beginning of root rot

Wash with h202, rinse and repeate until roots are white, figure out why and how it started, solve those issues and you should be able to milk it to harvest.

You need at maintain 70 f for roots in water hydro systems. Temp spikes between frozen your bottles are no good, either buy a chiller or switch your system to ebb n flow or ppk if you can't afford a chiller
are you 100% sure its root rot? i dont have any slime? i want to be sure before i shock my plants with too much h202 to /water
what is the ratio for h202 per gal?
if you are sure i will begin treatment
.idk how it happened. contaminated
tap water possibly? but im treating
all my water with great white at 1.5
x recomended dose?

B

bionicchronic

I just started RDWC a week ago, so no experience. I use aquashield, sm-90, cannazym, and great white. What are the reservoir temps??

res temps have been cold but over the past two weeks lowest was 58 highest 75
but avg id say 65-72

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Your pH is not dropping like a stone, therefore you do not have root rot. Since the pH and ppm are normal, I'd say the black crud is simply from the great white.

No worries.

Edit: I will say the 72F temps are a major source of potential issues. You would do well to keep the temp at 69F as your maximum. Should you be unable to maintain such a res temp, you will have better success with an intermittent drip or flood and drain setup. Roots-Out (Meaning they're not constantly exposed to the nutrient solution) type hydro can withstand (and prefers) temps around 75F.

Last edited:

Ogtg2213

I'm not 110% sure because I'm not there to smell it but i would bet money it's the beginning stages, looks just like it and it's happening in all the spots it normally starts. Does it smell earthy or fishy?

I haven't had root rot in years but when I saw your Picts that's instantly what popped in my head and brought back some bad memories.

Root rot does drop your ph like Douglas said but not "like a stone" until you have a bunch of mushy brown junk roots, I don't recall it dropping like a stone in the beginning stages. I could be wrong tho, it has been a very long time since I've delt with it.

I use 3% h2o2 for washing and normal water for rinsing

B

bionicchronic

I'm not 110% sure because I'm not there to smell it but i would bet money it's the beginning stages, looks just like it and it's happening in all the spots it normally starts. Does it smell earthy or fishy?

I haven't had root rot in years but when I saw your Picts that's instantly what popped in my head and brought back some bad memories.

Root rot does drop your ph like Douglas said but not "like a stone" until you have a bunch of mushy brown junk roots, I don't recall it dropping like a stone in the beginning stages. I could be wrong tho, it has been a very long time since I've delt with it.

I use 3% h2o2 for washing and normal water for rinsing
smells a little fishy.