What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bubble Cloning - Damping off with neoprene plugs

ceosam

I've had some trouble cloning with my usual coco/trays/domes so I've tried my hand with some bubble cloning with neoprene plugs...

First round I got 50% success rate, the failures were clones that damped off. Upon inspection, seems like the condensation from the bubbles that clings to the top of the cloner lid is wetting the neoprene plugs, and that unaerated water is causing the damping off.

How can I prevent this? Lower the water level (it is a few inches below the cutting bottoms already). Physan 20?

Feeling defeated =(

Miraculous Meds

U might get away with physan but its made as a cleaner, not to run with plants. Maybe a drop of bleach would be a better option. But ultimately ur stem is staying too wet. Maybe cycle the air pump so they aren't constantly staying saturated. Make sure ur water temps are within range. Too hot or too cold can cause problems. Id look at other bubble cloner threads since its been forever since ive used them but I think around 75f is ideal.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Just lower your water level. The clone stems need not be in the water, they just need 100% humidity. Maybe have the water an inch from bottom of stems, the bubbling will keep them moist.

As for additives, Hygrozyme and clone solution is the only thing I use. I try to keep the water 68 and no higher than 72. I have tried many different ways, with additives, with RO, with tap, with H2O2, with cloning solution, etc and without all said ways.

Results, with tap water and cfl light if the cuts were all done well, 100% success is normal and roots begin to form on most strains in 7-10 days. With hygrozyme and botanicare cloning solution, roots in 7 days and can go from being on the Mom to flower room in 14 days, with lateral roots and vertical growth evident. Adding Voodoo juice (AN) at first sign of roots knocks 4 days off that.

The Botanicare, Hygrozyme, and Voodoo juice are all very pricey especially running 120 site eazys, so normally I just plan properly for time and root in tap water. I do pH my tap water to pH 5.8.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Les

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I too use a bubble cloner (homemade) and are, just today noticing how well some test cuttings are doing in it with 1/3 the water I usually use. I use that black foam pipe covering from HD or Lowes to wrap around cuttings and stuff into hole of cloner.

Now though, OTOH, whoever it was that suggested he put fresh cuttings into a glass of tap water until roots, THANK YOU.
it takes longer than the bubble cloner but just as successful. I been runnin tests and some cuts/strains take double the time, 15-20 days and some take a month but most of them root (light: 24/7, 1 T5 2 foot white bulb). I don't know about you all but waiting a month for rooted clones, no muss no fuss, is not a PITA but desirable. no pumps, no bubblers/diffusers and for whatever reason, no algae in the water.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My best cloning experience has been with using Rootone in plain water, in me ez-cloner.

My worst experience was also with my ez-cloner, using clonex solution & rooting gel. This was right after I replaced all of the neoprene plugs with the new thicker stiffer (updated) plugs, about 3 years ago.

I think the plugs cause the water to saturate the stem that travels through the plug & evaporates leaving salt residues around the stem base. I'm not sure of the effects of the salt residues but I wasn't keeping any clones at that point in time because of damping off.

I'm getting ready to start taking clones again and am planning on using a "dead rez" if I can figure it out.

Far as rooting hormones go, I've had my best overall success with the Rootone gel.

DemonTrich

Veteran
I use a 25 site aero cloner with the net pots and neoprene plugs. I have had a 99.9999% success rate over 3.5 years of using this cloner (69.00 on amazon complete by the way) :)

it could be your cleaning process that effects the plants as well (read a few people having issues with cloning and it was their clean ups. I only fill my 6.0ph water to the top of the mister rail (only water, NO other additive). always cut at a 45* on the stem and score 1/4" of stem also then dip in cloner gel. put in disc and repeat. I change my h2o every 6 days, and I pot on day 12 (roots 5" long) directly in FFOF soil in solo cups. I also run a small air stone in the bubbler. misters run 24/7.

cleanup:

rinse cloner very well. add 2 caps of bleach, fill with warm water. put all net pots and discs in cloner and cover, let run for 6+hrs. (sometimes 24hrs if I forget.
rinse well.
add 1.2 cup of hydrogen peroxide, full to mister rail with warm water. let run for 6 hrs, sometimes 24hrs if I forget.
rinse well.
fill with warm water to mister rail. let run for 6hrs, 24hrs if I forget.
rinse well.
fill with warm water, let run for 6 hrs, 24hrs if I forget.
rinse well.
let air dry completely before putting up.

I use oxy cloner, 100% success rate. I added my own air stones though. And just run 30ml clone x in it.

Everyone has there own ways. Problem I see people doing is taking clones with wayyyyy to many leaves!

Brian James

I'll b trying to b extra clean was getting awesome results with my bubble cloner 12 hole 4 12" air stones 80 litres an hour air pump 24hr light 100% sucsess till it stopped cooperating new bin new stones new plugs distilled water well see what happens now