What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor that looks indoor

Noobgunsmith

Hi everyone,

Over the years I've noticed that some strains, however few, produce buds that look as nice as indoor in the great outdoors. I mean chunky light green dense nugs with a high calyx to leaf ratio. I know density can cause issues outdoors and I find most outdoor strains are too leafy which makes smoking them unpleasant. I know I could trim more but Im hoping to find a strain that has less leaves to begin with. anyone have any suggestions of currently available seeds that finish by the end of September or earlier that resemble buds grown indoors?

Also what's the least leafy outdoor you have seen?

I've heard guerilla gold as a suggestion before.

I'm wondering how much of an impact location and grow style have on the finished product. Some strains do well in pots but some prefer the ground. I use bloom boosters and pk supplements in flower outdoors, do you?

Thanks

Highcountry

Guerrilla gold can be leafy. The #3 anyway. #2 always had a higher calyx to leaf ratio. There was an auto affie bx called maverick that wasn't leafy at all. You could trim a lb in a couple hours. Strain selection and lots of sunlight are key to indoor looking buds.

Golli

Guerrilla gold can be leafy. The #3 anyway. #2 always had a higher calyx to leaf ratio. There was an auto affie bx called maverick that wasn't leafy at all. You could trim a lb in a couple hours. Strain selection and lots of sunlight are key to indoor looking buds.

Maveric 2016:
l9bNVtn.jpg

Another:
xzk3qCB.jpg

Another:
GPvmOEX.jpg

Another close:
xmwXk6x.jpg

This is not orginal stock from Dashadow thoe. But absolut killer smooke high! :woohoo:

idiit

Veteran
Malawi in a dank hybrid is a good choice because the Malawi inhibits mold issues that as you noted can come with dense buds outdoors. finding really good commercial outdoor strains can be difficult. baked beanz and I make our own strains.

really good bag appeal outdoors can be done:

baked beanz outdoors iirc black death (Malawi/black lime) ( by baked beanz):

picture.php

^https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=332722&page=41

here's my outdoor Malawi/aloha white widow in the hot and humid se usa.:

picture.php

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
The guerilla gold #3 crosses I prefer over the gg3 itself. Some of the crosses are early and dank. I like the early blubonic and guerilla kush. They were fairly mold resistant and yield was good and they started flowering early around mid July. I don't think they look like premium indoor but they looked better than some peoples indoor. The smell was the real clincher.

Also, check out sweet seeds fast versions. They have some early dank strains.

smTm8q

Interesting thread folks. I've always had a thing for Malawi too (though success eludes me), her crosses sound quiet interesting. Wow idiit, those really are some nice outdoor pics!

jackel

If you can get clones of Berry White she fits the bill. Super frosty nugs and very low leaf. Finishes early too.

baduy

Depends a lot on how much direct sunlight you get, best outdoor strain will give you leafy buds if given not enough.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Depends a lot on how much direct sunlight you get, best outdoor strain will give you leafy buds if given not enough.

What you need is Autumn sun, preferably/essentially, dependent on climate, good strong morning sun, in Autumn when she is in flowering

Anybody can grow big trees in the hot sun, but finishing top quality flowers is the slightly trickier bit. If the plant does not get good sunlight in Autumn, it will not grow good flowers

To answer OPs question, Sativas and Sativa Dom plants always go well, indicas and sensitive indoor tarts vary more, depending on genetics, climate

$eriously$illy

Blue Heron V2.0 finished with big buds, great density, high calyx-to-leaf ratio,
frosty. Peeps that didn't know I did it outdoors argued vehemently that it was indoor grown.

Oddly, it was the last of about 15 strains to initiate flowering, but suddenly stacked up with explosive flowering growth spurt and finished well by the end of October.

russej05

Hi everyone,

Over the years I've noticed that some strains, however few, produce buds that look as nice as indoor in the great outdoors. I mean chunky light green dense nugs with a high calyx to leaf ratio. I know density can cause issues outdoors and I find most outdoor strains are too leafy which makes smoking them unpleasant. I know I could trim more but Im hoping to find a strain that has less leaves to begin with. anyone have any suggestions of currently available seeds that finish by the end of September or earlier that resemble buds grown indoors?

Also what's the least leafy outdoor you have seen?

I've heard guerilla gold as a suggestion before.

I'm wondering how much of an impact location and grow style have on the finished product. Some strains do well in pots but some prefer the ground. I use bloom boosters and pk supplements in flower outdoors, do you?

Thanks

Did you decide which strain you are going with?

russej05

Malawi in a dank hybrid is a good choice because the Malawi inhibits mold issues that as you noted can come with dense buds outdoors. finding really good commercial outdoor strains can be difficult. baked beanz and I make our own strains.

really good bag appeal outdoors can be done:

baked beanz outdoors iirc black death (Malawi/black lime) ( by baked beanz):

View Image

^https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=332722&page=41

here's my outdoor Malawi/aloha white widow in the hot and humid se usa.:

View Image

i will be checking baked beans these buds look delicious.

NorCalGro

Blue dream, afgooey

Blue dream, afgooey

Surprised no one has said it blue dream is the highest quality I've grown outdoors constantly with multiple phenos always FIRE. Also strain hunters afgooey surprised the hell out of me last season. Both these buds were grown with about 5-6hr of direct sun.

Blue dream king klone cut(sry for bad pic quality had to recover off my rollitup account)
picture.php

picture.php

Afgooey
picture.php

Teh_Baker

I grew some fire last year outdoor, we had several different strains, but i would have to say that the cookies stacked up the densest, but i belive it was the purple pineapple that gave the high calyx:leaf ratio.
Purple pineapple
picture.php

Berner's Cookies
picture.php

Sorry for the sideways shots, damn phone!

Latest posts

Latest posts