What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This thread is da peat puck freaks..

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Ya'll are funny and I don't mean to be rude here. But, if a root can break concrete apart, I don't think the netting is slowing them down. Now the biodegradability of them is no good... but there are articles on how to make you're own with cheese cloth.

Making Your Own Peat Pellets

This DIY can easily be substituted with coco.

Drakester

Mr Celsius, thats awesome deal. I love DIY stuff for around the house...i.e. we make our own laundry soap! Locally, I haven't been able to find those peat disks with the netting so I guess I am kinda lucky in that aspect. The ones I find are ment for replacement discs for seed starter trays and what not..ohh well

thanks for the link

G

Love peat pellets, been cloning with them forever. Leave the net on and I notice a little slower growth at first... similar stunting as to rockwool, but not quite as bad. I tried all kind of cloning machines, bubblers and so forth. So far my fav is pellets in a small plastic greenhouse with a heat pad... takes em all around 5 days to root.

Yup, peat pucks are the best man. I did a thread like this a few months ago saying the same thing about them. I get 100% almost every time within 7 days. That article is pretty cool i'm thinking of making my own with coco instead of peat. I prefer coco now because its renewable.

-r

Pothead from 86

Safari mix and Thai Haze x Skunk 1 puck update

Safari mix and Thai Haze x Skunk 1 puck update

hey pirate138, you can buy them at any gardening store ( store where you buy flowers to plant usually called nursuries) or hit a search for Jiffy-7 Peat pellets. I just wanted to update everyone on my recent seeds germinating in the pucks, so far its been 54+ hours since I 1st put the seeds in the pucks (10 safari mix (sfms) and 5 Thai haze x skunk1(thxsk1s))) and 2 sfms. and 1 thxsk1 have popped through the pucks. :muahaha:

I soaked the pucks in 6.5phd water with peroxide (1/4 teaspoon of to a 1/2 gallon of water) placed them in a dome and put that dome on top of the monitor that I'm using now (I placed 2 USA TODAY sports pages (complete sections) and 1 T-shirt folded up between the dome and the monitor to keep from cooking my seeds :fsu: I also have 1 bagseed clone going)). Update for some reason I just checked again now there is 3 sfms and 2 thxsk1s thats 5 out of 15 seeds popped in 55 hrs (54hrs & 48 mins exactly). :rasta: :wave: No roots showing on the clone though. Hopefully by this time 2morow 5 more will be popped or all would be nice.

My ? is when should I transplant the seedlings ( I no they r not ready now), should I cut the netting, let tons of roots come out of the pucks and finally since I'm using an 18-6 light schedule does the time spent growing in the puck count as vegging time or is this just the rooting stage and if so when does that stage stop? Also is it cool to transplant the seedlings directly into the finishing pot bcaws I have problems transplanting? :spank: They r going into an approx. 65% mircale grow potting soil (4 tomatos and vegetables mix pre fertalized) and 35% perlite in 2 liter soda bottles (with holes drilled and tops cut off) to limit growth I want to do sog style with plants only reaching heights of 2-3 foot maximum (2.5 feet or close to 30inches being ideal), so if my plant stretches 2-3x. If I let the plants grow to 8in they should end up gaining 16-24 inches right? If so this would give me a 24-32in plant which would be perfect. Sorry to go outside the box I no I should just use the search. But this thread keeps getting good hits. Keep up the good work. peace

Mr Celsius

Veteran
Seedlings aren't like clones, they start to send out a tap root and then send out many fibrous roots. You will want to transplant as soon as you see the tap root popping out.

I recently germed 10 seeds in peat pucks and did a little experiment. I took the netting off of 5 and left it on the other 5, I have seen no difference... now my test population is very small so it may not be accurate, but I honestly believe that if roots can break concrete apart, then the netting isn't gonna hinder them.

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
the 'breaking up' of the peat inside the net is more important then anything. the net is there to keep the peat in once its mushed up good :) if you dont break the peat up in this fashion youll still be ok, especially with Cannabis, but, the more O2 the better. faster, healthier starts. i believe it even states it on the retail packaging lol take a look. hope this helps :)

G

I've been using peat pucks for 2 years with great success. The trick, like any other cloning medium is to keep the right humidity and temperature in the dome. And you need to prevent the puck from staying too wet.

Also - peat is a "non-renewable" resource and peat bogs hold a lot of crap that we spew into the atmosphere. Planters Pride and Jiffy now both make coco based pucks with cotton netting instead of the plastic nets on peat pucks.

Mr Celsius

Veteran
strainwhore said:
I've been using peat pucks for 2 years with great success. The trick, like any other cloning medium is to keep the right humidity and temperature in the dome. And you need to prevent the puck from staying too wet.

Also - peat is a "non-renewable" resource and peat bogs hold a lot of crap that we spew into the atmosphere. Planters Pride and Jiffy now both make coco based pucks with cotton netting instead of the plastic nets on peat pucks.

Can you add a link of the coco ones?

I don't know if the question was ever answered as to where? you can find these peat pucks. Walmart,Kmart,Homedepo,lowes or any gardening store in your area.Always ask if they'll order them it shouldn't be any xtra. Try to stay away from hydro stores, they usually inflate the price of these items by more than 300% on average. A dollar here and a dollar their is always better spent on good genetics.

Pothead from 86

Safari Mix (sfms) & Thai Haze x Skunk 1 (thxsk1) germination continued

Safari Mix (sfms) & Thai Haze x Skunk 1 (thxsk1) germination continued

whats up fellow puck users? Just updating my 10 sfms and 5 thxsk1 seeds that I put in pucks about 78 hours ago (3+ days) well I just checked them about 30 seconds ago and all 10 sfms seeds have popped through the pucks and 2 thxsk1 seeds have popped. From reading the forums on the thxsk1 it seems that they germ funny or not at all they are also suspect to hermie late in their flowering period. But I'm not worried yet, it is funny though that out of 15 seeds the 3 left were all thxsk1's :cuss: :spank: :badday: :rant:

Like I said I'm not worried yet, but if they dont pop by tomorrow at 5:30pm est I'm going to have to switch out the other 12 and put them into 18-6 (veg cycle) without a dome until the taproots 1st breakthrough or should I just transplant them right away after the 1st set of true leaves? But remember I'm going straight to my finishing pot (2 liter bottles with tops removed and holes drilled into them. I'm doing these due to grow space restrictions (container size 2ltr botts) and because I suck :fsu: when I transplant, unless I'm transplanting pucks of course easy as possible almost pothead proof thats why I love these pucks.peace :headbange :jump: :laughing: :muahaha: :rasta: :smoweed:

Last edited:

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
my grandma turned me on to them when I was around 10, been loving them ever since :)

G

I've been thinking about trying them for air layering.
My idea would be to wet them, then dry them out nearly completely, and cut them in half just to the middle to make a wrap-around.
I figure it probably too hard to cut when mushy. Wet them again once in place and tied up well. (shrug)
Anyone tried this?

Last edited:

Mr Celsius

Veteran
strainwhore said:

Could you show me a source on the net for these? All I've been able to find are UK hydro stores... :badday:

Ganico

Veteran
Look on google for "peat PELLETS" instead of "pucks"

You'll find more stores than you can sort through

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
Haha Wow!! This thread has sure taken off now hasent it! Sorry broes, been soo busy havent even noticed this baby!! Cool cool!!

Peat pucks/pellets can be found ANYWHERE. They are in any flower, gardening,hardware type store. Normally come in packages ranging from 10 - 50.

I am glad i started this thread up and see so many people using them. They are by far the easiest method of cloning out there.

The netting issue people are talking about for me really is a non issue, as i transplant mine into a hydro system. Where transpanting into dirt could compact a peat puck, I could see the need for cutting into the netting a bit.... As long as you transplant into an airy(perlite) soil base, should be good..

Myself.... I transpant my pucks as soon as i see root activity(even just one root i transpant). If you leave them to long they will shrivel up and die, so dont wait for a whole pile of roots!!!Once there is lots of room the roots will explode on there own!!!!

PEAT PUCKS ROCK!!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts