What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CMH grown trees, vert bare bulb and Horizontal

digging

I am setting up a vertical tree grow.

I will have 12 ft ceiling height. My thoughts are to use a hybrid of lighting to maximize tree growth. Vertical bare bulbs and horizontal fixtures.

This is where I am struggling and would welcome all input and suggestions please.

CMH lighting has many advantages I would like to enjoy. Some are comparing the 315 watt bulbs to either 500 - 600 watt hps.

So in the same logic a 630 watt CMH is similar to 1000 watt hps.

So my thoughts are to place over each plant the new de 630 watt CMH from Growers Choice and double stacked bare 315 watt CMH bulbs hung vertically.

In theory these two types of CMH lights will give me equal to 1000 hps over head and vertically, plus enjoying better spectrum, less electricity and less cooling required.

Am I on the right track here for growing some nice trees ?

Thanks for your help and advice :)

Ogtg2213

If you do vertical 630 w cmh you will get the same coverage , adding overhead lights is just overkill for a tree grow. All you'll be doing is lighting the top buds, that already have good light. Tree growing is an expensive art to do it right, google krusty buckets and read for a few days before you attempt tree growing. Good luck!

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
How are you going to hang the 315 CMH vertically as its a double ended lamp?

digging

There are 315 watt CMH bulbs that can be hung vertically. So I am going to double stack, two 315 watt CMH bulbs one on top of each other.

The 630 watt DE CMH bulb has to go into a horizontal light fixture.

https://www.growersc.com/gc630

In regards to adding lights over each plant as well as hanging vertical bare bulbs will grow some amazing trees. It's not over kill at all.

The undercurrent RDWC pro series of buckets, sell their pro series based on having both bare bulbs as well as a horizontal light over each plant.

This combination of light placement, will produce some mighty fine trees :)

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
As long as you're feeding them right and have appropriate airflow, circulation, and optionally CO2, the lighting wouldn't be overkill at all.
Not sure if its FOAF who had a room packed with lights around a monster tree. It can be done.

Do 315 and 630w CMH bulbs have the same penetration as a 1k bulb? That issue , if it existed, would probably be solved with your multiple sources of light.

Looking forward to seeing this one.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
saw an 315 rig without the bulb discounted at the hydro store almost bought it...still waiting on more threads about this

Ogtg2213

Sure it can be done but it is overkill, unless you plan to grow them 8-9 feet tall. You would still Benefit far more just stacking a third 315 and getting you light pattern right so the other trees benefit from the 360 degree lighting. Either way post up some tree Picts when you get it figured out. We need some good tree grows on here

I had to do a vertical/horizontal grow recently, I had to have a room with 4 mothers that we're flowered with 12 regular plants there was about 12 inch difference in height. I had 6 plants under each horizontal 1000w hps and I place the moms in the center with a 1000w mh hung vertically no reflector in the middle of the big moms. Worked ok but I wouldn't bother again, I had a mixed variety mixed size crop. Best is all vertical or horizontal.
picture.php
picture.php
Sorry for the prison bars only pic I had.