What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana Botany 101

Morphote

Veteran
Marijuana Botany
An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis
By Robert Connell Clarke

Robert Connell Clarke is a native-born Californian. He wrote and
illustrated The Botany and Ecology of Cannabis as his undergraduate
thesis at University of California at Santa Cruz where he graduated with
honors.

Table of Contents

FORWARD
INTRODUCTION
PREFACE
CHAPTER 1: Sensemilla Life Cycle of Cannabis
CHAPTER 2: Propagation of Cannabis
CHAPTER 3: Genetics and Breeding of Cannabis
CHAPTER 4: Maturation and Harvesting of Cannabis
APPENDIX I: Taxonomy and Nomenclature
APPENDIX II: Ecological Factors
APPENDIX III: Sex Determination
APPENDIX IV: Glandular and Non-Glandular Trichomes
APPENDIX V: Cannabinoid Biosynthesis
APPENDIX VI: Growth and Flowering

Cannabis has been cultivated for 10,000 years. In
The last 10 years, marijuana has undergone more
genetic experimentation and cross-breeding
than during the previous 10,000 years.

This widespread interest and remarkable hybrid development did
not occur within the agribusiness conglomerates, but was accom-
plished by thousands of individuals new to any kind of farming.
Having started in the last decade with an assortment of imported
seeds, clandestine growers now have more practical plant-breeding
expertise and proficiency than any other group of farmers.

An interesting must-read, I'd like to open the floor for discussion.

M.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Purchasing is money well spent if your serious about your hobby/job/what ever the case.

Satyros

That last sentence is curious. More breeding expertise than any other farmers.

There probably isn't anything that even begins to compare.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
YES MARIJUANA BOTANY!

Hmm... winter crocus extract! = colchicine

De Pasquale et al. (1979) conducted experiments with Cannabis which was treated with 0.25% and 0.50% solutions of colchicine at the primary meristem seven days after generation. Treated plants were slightly taller and possessed slightly larger leaves than the controls, Anomalies in leaf growth occurred in 20% and 39%, respectively, of the surviving treated plants. In the first group (0.25%) cannabinoid levels were highest in the plants without anomalies, and in the second group (0.50%) cannabinoid levels were highest in plants with anomalies, Overall, treated plants showed a 166-250% increase in THC with respect to controls and a decrease of CBD (30-33%) and CBN (39-65%). CBD (cannabidiol) and CBN (cannabinol) are cannabinoids involved in the biosynthesis and degradation of THC. THC levels in the control plants were very low (less than 1%). Possibly colchicine or the resulting polyploidy interferes with cannabinoid biogenesis to favor THC. In treated plants with deformed leaf lamina, 90% of the cells are tetraploid (4n 40) and 10% diploid (2n 20). In treated plants without deformed lamina a few cells are tetraploid and the remainder are triploid or diploid.

http://www.kindgreenbuds.com/marijuana-grow-guide/cannabis-breeding-and-genetics/

had the book myself many years ago... i made several polyploid strains and lost them in the DRUG WAR DAYS.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
I've been growing plants and gardens since I was a teen. I come from a family with some farmers and although I have no interest in big AG, my interest in growing plants continued once I left my hometown and moved thousands of miles away.

There is no plant that has spurred my interest and expanded my knowledge of growing and breeding more than cannabis and it's fair to say that my cannabis knowledge has improved everything else that I grow.