What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sealed flip flop rooms, same environment 24/7 except light cycle, Possible?

mikeross

Always wondered what the downsides of running a flip flop sealed room, with a/c, co2, dehumidifier ect. in 1 room and inlines fans exchanging air between the rooms 24/7.

The temp, co2, r/h would be the same at all times... only difference would be the light cycles in the rooms.

I know there must be big downsides or you would see more flip flop rooms built this way.

Anyone care to enlighten me... much appreciated:tiphat:

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
I'm building one at the moment. 6 gavitas in each. 2 ton ac, 100 pint dehum in a lung room. Both rooms dumping in and out of the lung room. I think the light son room will always be a bit hotter due to the bulbs being lit in that room, but ya, they'll be close. I'll let you know how it goes!

Iamnumber

I can not see any major downsides.

Setup with two areas with air exchange and separate light cycle is 'not worth the effort' for average grower.

It will take some planning and resources to build. Biggest (this is acceptable in my book) loss between one and two areas is the lumens lost on dividing wall. This naturally gets less significant as size of grow increases.

just my two cents on this.

Would not being able to control the day/night temps be a downfall?

Sounds like the rooms will be the exact same temps all the time. Unless you like to have your night temps the same as your day temps.

Also having a room pumped full of co2 during it's night cycle is not a good thing as far as I know.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
I've been trying to figure this one out for a while.

The similar day/night temp thing seems to be a non-issue, even beneficial to improved growth. Only time I can think of a much lower night temp being better is when you want colors to show more.

The over-abundance of CO2 and humidity from the flowering side, may slow down the transpiration (respiration?) process of the plants experiencing their night cycle.

I've been trying to figure this one out for a while.

The similar day/night temp thing seems to be a non-issue, even beneficial to improved growth. Only time I can think of a much lower night temp being better is when you want colors to show more.

The over-abundance of CO2 and humidity from the flowering side, may blow down the transpiration (respiration?) process of the plants experiencing their night cycle.

As far as I know during the night cycle plants will actually use oxygen rather than co2 for the metabolic processes so it is an advantage to get rid of co2 during the night cycle (probably should have bookmarked that article).

However it sounded like it was a minimal amount so it may not effect yield in a significant way. I'm pretty sure quite a few people operate the way your thinking, maybe not on a flip flop but sharing air between rooms so while it might not be absolutely perfect the downfalls (night temps and co2 levels) with be negligent enough to not bother trying to seperate the rooms.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
As far as I know during the night cycle plants will actually use oxygen rather than co2 for the metabolic processes so it is an advantage to get rid of co2 during the night cycle (probably should have bookmarked that article).

However it sounded like it was a minimal amount so it may not effect yield in a significant way. I'm pretty sure quite a few people operate the way your thinking, maybe not on a flip flop but sharing air between rooms so while it might not be absolutely perfect the downfalls (night temps and co2 levels) with be negligent enough to not bother trying to seperate the rooms.

Meant to say 'slow down', not 'blow down' transpiration.

While my understanding is lacking in completeness (or maybe accuracy), I thought plants would be off-gassing CO2 at night, meaning that excess CO2 in the atmosphere may slow down that off-gassing ,reducing the plant's ability to metabolize.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Increased CO2 levels late in flowering retards maturity, right?

I’ve always thought it went like this:

You want to be able to lower your Co2 levels last couple weeks of flower...

But this is something I’ve also wrestled with as I prepare to overhaul my room this spring. Flip rooms and lung rooms and whatnot.

The_Enthusiast

I'm building one at the moment. 6 gavitas in each. 2 ton ac, 100 pint dehum in a lung room. Both rooms dumping in and out of the lung room. I think the light son room will always be a bit hotter due to the bulbs being lit in that room, but ya, they'll be close. I'll let you know how it goes!

Are you setting your lights in light per bed/system configuration or light per room configuration (as gavita is suggestion)?

T_E

Iamnumber

You want to be able to lower your Co2 levels last couple weeks of flower...

Why? with reference please.

Are you saying that elevated co2 (up to 2000 ppm or so) is harmful during late flowering OR are you saying that plants is indifferent to elevated co2?

Meant to say 'slow down', not 'blow down' transpiration.

While my understanding is lacking in completeness (or maybe accuracy), I thought plants would be off-gassing CO2 at night, meaning that excess CO2 in the atmosphere may slow down that off-gassing ,reducing the plant's ability to metabolize.

I'm not sure about the elevated levels of co2 would reduce the ability to off gas. That doesn't really sound right to me, I can't imagine the concentration levels of co2 needed to stop the plants from releasing co2. All I know is that they release co2 and respire oxygen during the night cycle.

I say go for it though.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
I'm not sure about the elevated levels of co2 would reduce the ability to off gas. That doesn't really sound right to me, I can't imagine the concentration levels of co2 needed to stop the plants from releasing co2. All I know is that they release co2 and respire oxygen during the night cycle.

I say go for it though.

thanks for the knowledge. always learning more

thanks for the knowledge. always learning more

No doubt, so much to know.

You actually inspired me to do the same thing as your doing. Share the air between rooms and save on duplicate co2 burners, controllers, dehumidifiers and such. Also having the room that has lights off will help cool the other room and save $. So thank you as well

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
SY: Just checkin out your galleries and stuff now, pretty impressive growing. I'll have to follow your progress on the room design/setup and take notes.

Good growing my friend :wave:

SY: Just checkin out your galleries and stuff now, pretty impressive growing. I'll have to follow your progress on the room design/setup and take notes.

Good growing my friend :wave:

Oh geez, well thanks. Most of those pics are old though. I should post what i got going now. Much better.