What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HIP HOP HEADS, JOIN US!!!

G

damn, check out apathy's It Takes A Seven Nation Army To Hold Us Back... or That Ol' boom bap...really like his style..

G

if you like apathy check out: louis logic "sin-a-matic" this is an awesome album

BabyHughie

jaykush said:
representin the lord quas and madlib.

ps: new school rap/ hip hop sucks SOOO bad. p.o.s music just made for money......

'I got crack in my pockets like cds in my crates yeah right neither of the above' :joint:

lorax I agree man apathy and celph are just aight on some tracks but they have some straight up BANGAZ!

Loui Logic, peep all his shit for that matter!

Irishpapop you know whats up my man.

G

I started hip hop/rap with NWA and Public Enemy back in 1990..
Then was kinda riding the fence for a few years, coz i'm white, from Finland, all my buddies at the time were lissenin to metallica and shit. It was kinda hard being the only hip hop kid on the block :)

Roll few years forward to the mid 90's. I went to a new school in the city, this was a time of graffitis 2nd coming in Helsinki city and man, i had found my spot in life (at the time) Also at the time i got my hands on this documentary about train graffiti and the beginnings of hip hop in NYC. Called 'style wars'
Really a must see for all hip hop heads :) http://imdb.com/title/tt0177262/

After that, school didnt seem important at all. All them days were spent hitting up walls and trams and trains and metros and whatever u could get yer hands on pretty much (ppls private shit, old buildings, stuff like that i always left alone) Taking pictures, rackin' shit and traveling in search of safe spots to do graff.

I gave up graff when i joined the army in 2k. Not for good, i still do a wall here and there, but no more hardcore bombing :) That shit is for kids nahmsayin'

Favorite hip hop these days: Public Enemy, The Coup, Immortal Tech, Ill Bill, Psycho Realm, Devin The Dude, Ice Cube (altho his new shit is kinda weak) + many more
Old skool hip hop in general is good party music, stuff like sugarhill and grandmaster flash.
Or old electro hip hop styles dat u can break dance to.

Kick fiddy cent and those new money hungry fuckin leetches right out the window.
'commie' rap rules :)
It's a shame what passes for rap and/or hip hop these days really.
Fuck MTV too :bat: :badday:
R'n'B too.

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
Laxpunker said:
Well I have Fruity Loops, so far I haven't been able to produce anything of quality. However it does give me something to do when I'm stoned and rained in. I know it doesn't compare to actual tables or anything, but you can almost get the same product.

I dont like fruity loops gotta say I used a few of these progs over the years and I like Logic and Reason ....
There are a few others but for me thats good enough

Keep On Making Those Tracks ...

In Respects to Hip-hop :
Jedi-Mind-Tricks
Taskforce
Wutang
Mud Family

So many more I couldnt name em

Hip-Hop is the Shit
OLDSKOOL AND UNDERGROUND he he he he

Peace :joint:

BabyHughie

HAHA glad to see everyone expressing the strong hate for FITTY. 50=biggest gimmik since emenim

Delta-9 and Oyster Mag good to have ya aboard man. See, how can hip hop die when there are so many people who love it? :joint:

G

Irishslappop said:
dude i saw them live like 3 weeks ago. they were awesome! really funky with rap style lyrics. they were awesome.

Oooh 2 Kool! Wish i coulda been there :) Even tho Boots (lead rapper of coup) is anti-weed, he's still my fave rapper proly of all time and one of the smartest too.
And hellz yea they funky
:woohoo:

Thanks BabyHughie :)

J

Jam Master Jaco

I hated rap all through high school. I was and always will be a metalhead :headbange :yes:
I got into rap through a friend about a year ago, I started with the old school stuff cuz I got my first system in my car and wanted to listen to shit bump on it. I started with NWA mostly, but that was before I started looking harder, like into lyrical stuff.

Now all I listen to hiphop wise are:
Necro (his whole crew too. Ill Bill, Mr. hyde, etc)
Jedi Mind Tricks
Army of Pharoahs
Circle of Tyrants

Last edited:

Blazed_Out

User Name - I can use most of the sequencing programs. I've used Fruity Loops (I use this at home because I have no studio equipment), Cubase (used in nearly every studio) and Reason (seems really easy to use). Never tried Logic but most of the people I know use this and can achieve some nice sounding music.
I'm looking to get a Mac notebook just for my music hobby. Logic and Pro Tools have been specifically for Mac's, so if I ever intend on getting my sound right I'll have to be familiar with those also.
Not sure if Pro Tools can handle MIDI sequencing, I only know that its good for audio.

the lorax - I'll put up a beat someday soon... might even have to give it a 'getting high' type theme to it, so I'll start from scratch.

Anybody into French hip-hop? I think their beats and lyrics is more consistent than most in mainstream hip-hop.

Laxpunker

Logic and Reason is ok, better than Acid Pro for sure. However for simplicity Fruity Loops really does take the cake for me. Plus I mean if it's good enough for Dre, it should be good enough for me.

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
^ ^ ^ no, i do not mean ebonics, r u kidding?
seriously, hiphop, kinda like growing your own herb, sort of... not the mannerism or poster-boy cliched attitudes and looks, that ain't hiphop... you know what hiphop is?

Laxpunker

PazVerdeRadical said:
^ ^ ^ no, i do not mean ebonics, r u kidding?
seriously, hiphop, kinda like growing your own herb, sort of... not the mannerism or poster-boy cliched attitudes and looks, that ain't hiphop... you know what hiphop is?

I dunno man, I just woke up. Smoked a bowl of some lifesaver and I'm kinda high, I'll be frank. So when I said that, I had the gross misunderstanding that that would be taken as funny.

Seriously though, I really am lacking on my hip hop "knowledge". I mean I have a rough understanding of how it started, however it's a basic understanding at best.

And yes I'll agree with you, hip hop is more than baby blue sweat track suits and grills. There is a movement there that has been lost in recent years due to the sudden cashing in of certain "artists".

what up everyone?
i been listenin to hip hop for prolly too long...lol

some of my faves these days be immortal technique (of course)
jedi mind
cunninlynguists
mf doom
prefuse 73
aesop rock
i like a lot of beats from krush too hes the shit

and i cant even bear goin to an atmosphere show these days
its gonna be 20$+ and mad teeny boppa's are gonna be there

peace to the true heads

G

Yo, nice thread...

I first started jamming in 95 and 96 with some Dr. Dre, Warren G, and Bone Thugs. Jammin bone thugs forever now but i gotta agree with Lorax, in saying that hip hop is way over saturated and in need of change.

My favorite stuff today is jammin ealy 90s rap, some craig mack, coolio, old school 2 pac, slick rick. I also enjoy like a lot of the Texas or south rap, but it gets old when it's just about money and cars. My favorite stoner rap would have to be Devin tha Dude, if you havent heard of this guy go DL some "Doobie Ashtray", "Sticky Green", "to The X-treme" get hooked.

Oh yeah, does Rick James count? I'm in love with mary jane! :canabis:

Latest posts

Latest posts