What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to stop stretch

samba

I'm doing my second run with this Black Domina, couldn't get another. My last run the plants stretch way to tall, hitting my lights and burning the tops. I did try to super crop, but they still burnt. Now they have been in flower for 1 week and they are stating to stretch again. What to do?!?!

I'm feeding them Advanced Hydroponics of HOLLAND (1xGROW,2xBLOOM,1xMICRO@the monent)
EC 0.9-1.1
pH 5.8-6
2*600W in 3'3" x 5'3"
Temp 73F min, 80F max

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
Samba have you ever used bushmasters. that will help you will the height issue. I used it and it stopped the stretch right in its tracks. although you dont want to use it full strength you will burn your plants. and you are suppose to use it with plain water as well. and you are only suppose to run it for a couple of days no longer then 3 days.

thinkkush

If you can keep your average daily temp and average night temp around the same temperature, it will help stop the stretch effect. This is called the DIF, also too much phosphorus is known to cause the stretch as well hope this helps
think kush

M

Movintarget

Depending on strain dominance, it helps from the onset of 12/12, to have your plants as close as possible to deter stretching for the light. Has always worked for me, good luck

hempluvr

plant pimp
Veteran
Lots of pruning techniques to help control stretch. Also using smaller pots will help with stretch.

On another note,if you use Bushmaster make sure to follow the instructions to the letter. That stuff does work but if abused things can get real ugly real fast. Good luck to ya!

T

Tarus Bulbar

Id say any one of those methods would work well!!
Now if you were to use Bushmaster and keep the light as close as possible
to the plants top,you will have excellent success combining the two
methods!
Cheers

M

medi-useA

30 ml of vodka watered into the medium apparently will stop the stretch...I have posted alink before to someones query about stopping stretch...cannot find it @the moment...do a search..

muA

joseaf

BushMaster will stop stretching. I had a badseed that turn out to be sativa and it grew tall. I tried it down until it was almost parallel with my light. My grow space is 4' tall.

I took clones from it and I am glad I did. The high is very functional and gives you a feeling of no problems are too large.

In a hydro drip system, I added 2ml/gal of Bushmaster to a clone that was only 8" high for 3 days in the flower section. The plant grew to 10" and stopped. It now has bud growing like crazy. The india plants are very short with nodes that are tight and close at about 8" tall.

There is an article online on how to use BushMaster, use search engine. Great stuff to stop stretching.

Since I like my Sativa plant and will grow another from the mother, I will veg until the plant is about 30" tall, then move it to the flowering room and add bushmaster at 2ml/gal for 3 days. I will flush the system then add my indica plants which will grow normal.

Below the photo show my setup. The plants are budding at the height shown. Very little growth after using BushMaster. The Sativa plant is the one in the back left.

picture.php

joseaf

Here is a photo of the sativa plant without BushMaster. I started 12/12 when the plant was around 10" since my height is limited and I could tell from the leaf that it was mostly Sativa. I had to bend that plant several times to keep it out of the 400w HPS.

picture.php

M

medi-useA

If you do try 30 ml vodka...let me know wh@ happens...I'm still interested to see if it works...

hehehehe
muA

M

mexilandrace

lower your nitrogen ferts

you will end up getting some yellowing but it helps control the stretch. When the stop stretching you can give them some nitrogen again just to keep them green.

it effects yield pretty significantly if you don't pick back up with the nitrogen.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
lower your nitrogen ferts

you will end up getting some yellowing but it helps control the stretch. When the stop stretching you can give them some nitrogen again just to keep them green.

it effects yield pretty significantly if you don't pick back up with the nitrogen.

stop feeding N

Interesting. I've heard & seen the use of veg nutes for the first week or two of flowering help fight stretch.

K

kannubis

Do a search for bush master,
you will find lots of pages in a thread with do's and don'ts.
I was considering the same thing when my ladies were within 6" of the top of my 6.7' tent, but did nothing except lift the light and got lucky - stretch stopped just in time.
GOOD LUCK MAN

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
have u thought about a scrog or tying the bitches down throw a net overthe tops and tie them down i never used bushmaster but never had hieght issues my boy used it and stunted his plants so i would be careful and do some research but i would just ty them bitches up
peace stoney

E

EvilTwin

Interesting. I've heard & seen the use of veg nutes for the first week or two of flowering help fight stretch.

Someone was misunderstanding the process there rasputin. People often will give veg nutes during stretch primarily to support the vegetative growth...not to discourage it. Stretch happens and for proper growth they like the extra N.

I'd say you have some good ideas here. My vote goes to Bushmaster. Heard it works great though i've never actually used it.
Cheers,
ET

I never have exp on bushmaster, but I have a couple of friend that burn their plants. If you have time to play and experiment. Give it a try. If you don't. Start break your back and tie it down. It is the safest way. It is pain in the ass to tie it, but usually the simple way is the best way. It should stop Stretch on week 3-4. And I hope you are already flowering. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest posts