What's new

how is light getting into my tubs?

deviant1

its my fault completely, I bought the cheap rubbermaids. now I have used some black duct tape and completely wrapped the tubs up. then to took a windshield sunblocker and cut out 2 holes for my babies to fit through. this has helped out, but hasn't solved anything.btw the sun shield is silver reflective so helps more the light around really well, even under the leaves also. after all of that, I jus wanna know if anyone has any better ideas on how to light proof my tubs, which are 10 gallons. any advice will be very appreciated. need some help with this one!

fatigues

Veteran
Krylon flat black spray paint for the win. Do the whole outside of your tub (lid and bottom) but not the inside. Eyeball it after your paint has dried to see if you need another coat of black. When in doubt, give it a second coating

Spray a coat of white krylon on the top of the lid after the black has dried. You're good to go.

Better to do this before you've drilled holes to minimize chances of paint getting on the inside of the lid from the holes you drilled in it. If you've drilled the holes already, tape it up as best you can to stop that from happening.

deviant1

have you actually done this yourself, I only ask because I've tought of doing that exactly like you said. my real concearn is that when I do drill holes that it will crack up, or maybe the fumes will linger for a long time. if these are not gonna be any type of a factor, then im all for doing jus what you said. btw, the white tape/spray paint is a very smart idea. it seems that great minds do think alike, because I had the same though, from beginning to end.I still wanna know what type of drawbacks I might incounter along the way. thanks for reading all this crap I jus wrote.

Hey are you using Hydro-pelllets(clay balls/ I think its called Hydrtron) If so are you covering the clay balls or can you see them. The reason I ask is, I had a DWC 5gal bucket and Had a light leak and it was light coming thru the clay balls. I had 3in net cups so they were very small and didn't fill up with to much of the pellets so there was leaks. To fix the problem I just put two black bags over the top of the bucket using a lil tape to keep it tight to the base of the plant(I would cut a line down the center of the bag, then lay it on the bucket allowing the plant to be in between the cut I made in the bag, then taping back together)... thus getting rid of any leaks I had ... NOT SURE IF THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM, BUT CHE CHECK IT OUT..... GOOD LUCK....

Ipsissimus

get some aluminum duct tape (actual foil tape)...100% light proof. one roll will do a a couple rubbermaids.

Longhair

Hello,
Every Suggestion Here Is Right. I Have A 10 & 20 Gal. DWC That I Could Not Stop The Light Also.

When Spraying Let It Dry Then Put The Tub Over Your Head In The Light & You Will Be Able To See What Needs More. Make Sure To Make Your Last Coats White!
Cover The Net Pots, If You Have Any Opaque White Plastic Use It.
Change All Clear Plastic Tubing For Black.
When You Check Your Rez Etc. Turn Off Lights.
After Doing The Above I've Not Had Any Problems With Light.

Thank You
Longhair

foil tape is great.....so is the black plastic spray paint....but when i clean them post-harvest, i have issues with peeling and flaking.

i wrap mine with Panda film for the light proofing aspect.....and/or silver bubble insulation for both light and temp control !

deviant1

thanks everybody for you input. im not sure still what I should do. I want to do the simplest thing, but at the same time I want to do what's right for my ladies. so anymore advice or suggestions will continue to help me. thanks again

full time daddy
Veteran
but hasn't solved anything

what's the prob, are you sure it's "light" that's making you have what ever issue you have.... plz tell us what is wrong so you can get help...... are you having a algee bloom? brown film? black mold.....
my first ? is how do you know there's light in the rez?

deviant1

well 00420, the issue im having is this: I made my solution(lucas 0-4-8),before bed. when I got up and checked on it, my airstones were covered in a tan/ light brown, fluffy crap on them and floating around in my tubs. this happened to both tubs, that's why I thought that maybe it was a light issue. I would love to figure out what im doing, if anyone feels like pointing me in the right direction, would be much appreciated.

full time daddy
Veteran
as ipsissimus said it check this thread... 17 page's of info http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=55259

if you dont wanna read 17 page's..... here is the brake down

your water source sucks..... you need to use a r/o WITH UV and clean your system with Physon 20 or get a UV stralizer & pump and have it run in your rez...

Last edited: