What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When does weight stop packing on?

LlamaSchool

I understand the connoisseur's argument to keep your plant in flower until you have the desired ratio of cloudy/amber trichomes, but when would you cut if you were more interested in weight?

If you are at 8 weeks (on a strain breeders say is an 8 week strain) and you are starting to see some amber trichomes and almost all others cloudy, will the plants pack on any more real weight?

naw.....you've probably gotten the most of the bulk wieght already on at that point....chop those suckers if yield is the main concern -- and start another batch of 12/12

if the "stone" is more important...then chill til this weekend and then chop......

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I agree with Maze, thats prolly about it. let them go till more are amber just to make sure.

melvin2

an 8 week strain sounds like it would have fat calyxes when it is done putting on weight. If your calyxes look swollen, you're there.

Or you could run it a few days more to be sure, then you will know for your next clone run (you took clones right?)

LlamaSchool

Thanks, guys. I do have clones - a few phenos of an unknown G13 cross, White Widow (supposed to take a little longer, but looking good) and this is my first run with Reeferman's Grapefruit from seed.

I'm going to let these keep going so I can double check what you guys are suggesting but I was wondering for the future when I do a single strain run and really go for yield/watt/hour.

LlamaSchool

Well today is over 10 weeks and most of the Widow is still going except for a few big colas... You're right though.

The Reeferman Grapefruit is incredibly frosty and grows not one big cola nor bushy like a sativa but seems to shoot up 6-8 almost equal large colas given 3 weeks veg and very little pruning of lower branches. It is frostier than anything else I have and the smell (while growing) is certainly of citrus. It really has trouble supporting it's weight, however and I have had to splint or tie up many nuggets.

E

EvilTwin

Hi Guys,
I had a sativa pheno of WW that needed 9+ weeks, but my other phenos were good to go at 8 weeks.

I'm going to share an odd idea that I recently read. Could be urban myth. It relates to the origin of the Jamaican Lambsbread strain...or rather to the name. It was a harvesting maneuver that gave it huge buds like a loaf of bread.

What they did was to pollinate a crop right before harvest and wait until the calyxes really started to swell in preparation for seed making...but then harvest before any seeds actually start to form. I find that to be an interesting idea or certainly an interesting urban myth.
Peace,
ET

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Average 60 - 80 days depending on taste, if you stunted growth, overfed, underfed, bugs, heat, humidity, anything can extend or quicken the numbers though.

Easiest way, if it looks close the check the trichs,

I like to count 60 days from the first day I flip to 12/12 and know after that day odds are they are close or needing a flush soon.

That's usually how I decide when I cut, I was more curious to hear what an average flowering period is.

Thanks for the answers guys