What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

E-Z cloner + water chiller how does it work?

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I bought an Eco-Plus 1/10 chiller and I have 30 site e-z cloner. Apparently I need another pump which I did not know. Do I need a submersible pump? (I know it needs to be 132gph-264gph)? Do I really have to try to fit two pumps in this thing? Is there any sort of external pump?

Thanks for any help.

felix2

one pump will do. get a submersible, they're small, and get some hose...check hardware store. make sure you get the pump first, then bring the pump into the store and check the sizes of the hose to the pump for fit. external pumps will do, they're just a little more expensive.

put the pump in the res, run tube/hose through chiller and just have the return hose dumping back into the res. by the way, you want the water a bit warmer for clones...like around 70-75 i think.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks I will hopefully find an external pump cuz there is already one pump running the misters in this thing and its only 6 gal res.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
by the way, you want the water a bit warmer for clones...like around 70-75 i think.

I've found 70º and lower to be death city. I shoot for 75º-80º. A chiller in a cloner sounds counter productive to me. I use a water heater in my bubble cloner. The EZ cloners water pump will act as a heater for you.

L

Lune TNS

^EZ cloner pumps get way too hot, especially in the summer.

Good trick I was taught: I just have 4 frozen bottles in the freezer, and once or twice a day I'll throw 2 in the cloner and toss the other 2 back in the freezer... works like a charm, is cheap, and keeps my temps in check when it's hot out... Should serve you well until you get the pump sorted out at least...

Anything over 80 will give me mushy stems, so when they first go in I'll aim for 75. Once they get roots try to drop it to 70 or even lower if possible...

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for info guys I was gonna do it at 68-70 like the guy recomended but will aim a little higher now.

G

Greyskull

hey man i'll take a snap of the 'innards' of my ez 60 when i go do my 'welfare check'.
i want top say i have a 132 feeding the chiller...

i am finding i get my best/fastest rooting thus far in the 73-75f range. of course i haven't even run 5 cycles thru the cloner from hell yet... so i am no where close to dialing it in. but i did start my 'chiller experience/experiment' at 70-71f, and that seems to take about 2-3 days longer to show roots than when set to 73-75f.

G

Greyskull

picture.php

picture.php

hope this helps you some

just use bleach to clean the tub and run throught the manifold and pump.. after every use and you can easily go up to 80 85 in water temp.... use clonex solution at 5 ml a gal and to get ultimate clones.. use a razor blade.. scrape the outside of the clone stem from the cut 2 in. up.. then split the stem with the blade a 1/2-1 inch. you'll get crazy crazy roots even faster

JohnnyToke

^EZ cloner pumps get way too hot, especially in the summer.

Good trick I was taught: I just have 4 frozen bottles in the freezer, and once or twice a day I'll throw 2 in the cloner and toss the other 2 back in the freezer... works like a charm, is cheap, and keeps my temps in check when it's hot out... Should serve you well until you get the pump sorted out at least...

Anything over 80 will give me mushy stems, so when they first go in I'll aim for 75. Once they get roots try to drop it to 70 or even lower if possible...

do you run the misters on a timer or keep them on 24/7? my temp problems in the summer went away when I switched from 24/7 to 15 on / 15 off timer. I would rather have a 1 on 15 off timer but am to cheap to shell out the benjamin to get that timer. the 15 / 15 cycle made a huge difference in my clones rooting faster. under 10 days.

JT

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
I have used a chiller in the past and still lost cuts. Now, I don't use a chiller and have run the unit as high as 86F with no loss. Read my signature if you want to know.

L

Lune TNS

do you run the misters on a timer or keep them on 24/7? my temp problems in the summer went away when I switched from 24/7 to 15 on / 15 off timer. I would rather have a 1 on 15 off timer but am to cheap to shell out the benjamin to get that timer. the 15 / 15 cycle made a huge difference in my clones rooting faster. under 10 days.

JT

Cool :joint: never tried it before but if it works for ya then keep it the same... I've always kept my pump on 24/7 but might have to do an experiment some time...

Yo richy I read through that thread after seeing your sig a while back... the general consensus was that you should run your cloner for a bit with the hydroguard in it before adding the cuts, no?

H

Habibi

lemme get this right you guys are buying chillers worth as much (or more for smaller then 120) as the ez clone itself?

what in the fuck for?

ive been running the 120 for almost 2 years and get 100% roots as long as the unit is cleaned before each run

JohnnyToke

my mist cloner reservoir stays cooler using the 15 on / 15 off timer for sure. I was unsure if it would work that well but my clones do look better, root faster and 100% of them are rooting. Im on round 4 using the timer for my cloner. I have the $15 dual output mechanical timer most hydro stores sell. I dont use a dome and have an 11w cfl about 10" above the cloner. ambient temps around 80. nice & simple. I use clonex in my cloner reservoir. 5ml per gallon. PH 6.0 - 6.2.

JT

G

Greyskull

lemme get this right you guys are buying chillers worth as much (or more for smaller then 120) as the ez clone itself?

what in the fuck for?

ive been running the 120 for almost 2 years and get 100% roots as long as the unit is cleaned before each run

i was gifted my ez 60
so when the pump went went down (after 5yrs of use between my friend and i) i didn't think it was out of mind to supercharge the cloner. i didn't need to add the chiller, no.

you dont need heated seats in your car in so cal either, but they sure are nice.