What's new

light track do anything 4 yield ?

ed wood

Ovaltine a crummy commercial
ICMag Donor
i got a hydrofarm 4 foot light mover for my 1000w hps it covers 2 flo tables at 4fx4f all together ..
well ive used the 1000w with no mover for 2-3 years and got bigger yields
so what gives??? thought the light track would give me better yields :mad:
thanks guys
ed

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
4 ft light rail?

The ones I use are 6 ft - I'd want 6 foot of travel for an 8 ft bed - with mylar walls.

Light rails are a tool, learning how to get the most out of the tool - that's where crafsmanship comes in.

Moving lights can be closer - quite a lot closer. closer over a longer swath.

That, plus there are less shaded spots.

Gennerally - it's not a huge boost in production - they help, - they tend to equalize exposure - and minamise hot spots.

4 ft huh?

guess we can call you stubby. lol

shine on!

limey

4 ft light rail?

Moving lights can be closer - quite a lot closer. closer over a longer swath.

That, plus there are less shaded spots.

Gennerally - it's not a huge boost in production - they help, - they tend to equalize exposure - and minamise hot spots.

agreed. you should run the rail pretty much end-to-end over your tables to get the most out of the rail.

as the man says, that should enable you to run the lamp closer

which should mean bigger yields...

... should also make it easier to manage your plants as in theory they should grow straighter (not bending towards the light) which, if you are, for example, growing in a SOG arrangement, mean you can pack in a few more plants...

1000w on a rail sounds about perfect, though (drifting into the realms of theory here as I guess you dont want to buy new lamps) I reckon you could get away with running 2x400w lamps on the (longer, 6ft) rail instead with as least as good results (possibly better)
...and less electricity cost.

2x400w lamps would give you an even better spread of light and they being cooler, you can run them closer to your plants.

:joint:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Well, a light mover is not a substitute for having enough light, and with a 4X8 area, you don't have enough light to start with (need 50 watts per square foot minimum, you have 31.25 watts per square foot.) With two 1000's you would get better yields, and the mover would help make the canopy more even but no, a light mover isn't the same as buying another 1000w light.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You don't get something for nothing. The available light is still the same whether you move it or not, rails just give you a chance at capturing some more of the efficiency. As RMH points out, lights can be much closer with rails.

ed wood

Ovaltine a crummy commercial
ICMag Donor
Well, a light mover is not a substitute for having enough light, and with a 4X8 area, you don't have enough light to start with (need 50 watts per square foot minimum, you have 31.25 watts per square foot.) With two 1000's you would get better yields, and the mover would help make the canopy more even but no, a light mover isn't the same as buying another 1000w light.
no im sorry think i fu*ked up its 4fx4f each table is 2foot wide and 4 foot long both right next 2 each other . so would that give me 50 watts ?
and i have my lamp at 1 foot away from the tops of plants dont think i want 2 put it any closer ..thanks for all the tips and info
rep+1

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Ah I gotcha Ed, then yes you have enough light, but I don't see a square area as being a good application for a light mover at all. If you had them end to end maybe a pair of 600's would be better, but just not worth the hassle. I use stationary 1000's over a 4X4 table and they work great, plenty of light.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Agreed - 4x4 square isn't a good application for a light mover.

If you can stretch that area to 4x6 or 4x7 - and get a longer rail.
And I don't know about you, but if there are two words I like to hear concerning flower area,,, MORE ROOM are the two.

I use a rail on dual 1000's covering about 50 sq ft - and I really like the results

JohnnyToke

i got a hydrofarm 4 foot light mover for my 1000w hps it covers 2 flo tables at 4fx4f all together ..
well ive used the 1000w with no mover for 2-3 years and got bigger yields
so what gives??? thought the light track would give me better yields :mad:
thanks guys
ed

what reflector are you using? I am using the large adjust-a-wing with a 1000 over about the same size grow area as you have with good results. I keep it 8" - 12" over the tops of a scrog. works well.

JT

Latest posts

Latest posts