What's new

switch to 12/12 for sexying then back to24 for reveging ???

ok , i have herd of people putting there plants on 12 and 12 to find out if thay
are male or female , then flipping back to 24 hr light for finish vegging .

im interested in these because i have 8 plants in a 3-5 closet and it will be getting full fast .

but im wondering if there will be negative affects on the plants ?

my plants are 22 days old , and about 8-10 inchs tall right now . and id like to be able to rid my self of the males . soo whats the deal with this all, the pros and cons please .. thanks

spadedNfaded

Veteran
The only negative effect that i can see would be the lag time in between then thinking they are flowering an then reverting back to full-veg mode. It might mess with sensitive strains to the point of causing them to herm as well but don't quote me on that.

- SubN

B

bubblegumkings

yes mj can be revegged. usually what i will do is take a cut from that plant and then sex it first so i can save the moms for just cuts. but i have done many of times flipping the switch to 12/12 for about a 5 days to tell the girls from the boys. then just flip it back to 24 and veg for however big u want em to get. Id say a year tops but i dont think you want a 15 foot high mj either. also ive noticed when the plants are generally around 3 months old they start showing there signs of sex(well the females anyways) they will start to get the white hairs showing there preflowers due to age. so that might be your best route if you do not want to stress the whole garden. id also seek some more on this but as of now i have done it and it worked fine and had no hermies in the end.
stay green.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
The only negative effect that i can see would be the lag time in between then thinking they are flowering an then reverting back to full-veg mode. It might mess with sensitive strains to the point of causing them to herm as well but don't quote me on that.

- SubN

I will quote you on that

YES IT WILL CAUSE HERMIS

What you want to do is take cuts of these plants and 12/12 them. Do not do it with the plants if you plan on vegging more

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Vote #3 for sexing the clones.

Or, take cuts and flip the lights on the donors. When donors show pull males and their cuts. It will cost a bit of yield but you'll be smoking a month sooner.

Dr Dog

Veteran
Or, take cuts and flip the lights on the donors. When donors show pull males and their cuts. It will cost a bit of yield but you'll be smoking a month sooner.

I do this all the time, I just make sure I have about 30 per cent more seeds goin that I need, that will allow me to get rid of weak ones too, only keep the best around

Cloning is still very successful 3 weeks into flower

swyork5

i have a question

i have a question

How long after the cuttings root do you put them on a 12/12 to tell the sex?let me know cuz i have some fem seeds but i want to make sure they are all females. They are about 12 inch plants rite now

issack

Veteran
How long after the cuttings root do you put them on a 12/12 to tell the sex?let me know cuz i have some fem seeds but i want to make sure they are all females. They are about 12 inch plants rite now

you put the cuttings directly on 12/12. I do it with my Ez-clone and works great.. they will show you sex without being rooted.

Vegan

I wouldnt do that to one of my plants,,if they made it to this level then ya should let them be , take the males and get rid of them..take clones and try and grow those out , this the weeding out process for ya right..keep one and try and reveg that as a mom..

how would like to go from one sex back back to veg ..hey 12/12 sun lets make flowers/ hey 18 hrs sun ..wtf im confused and dont know what to do:2cents:

:yeahthats

LOL ive never quoted myself before:abduct:

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Honestly, this all sounds nuts to me.

It takes 3-weeks to get a plant that is big enough to take a cutting from. Once you have the cutting it takes 1-week to root (being optimistic). Once you put this immature plant into the flowering space it might take a while before the start of 12/12 before you can determine its sex. In the meantime you could of just inspected the nodes with a jeweler's loop at about 1-month from sprout and figured out whether you have a boy or girl. With magnification and cannabis is very easy to sex in veg.

Pine

Island Sweet Skunk plant @ about 1 month. Picture was taken after sex was confirmed female.

hkush

I'm re-veging this one because I liked the plant and want to reveg and use it for seed stock. Twas a nice indica.

S

silent_lemon

It takes 3-weeks to get a plant that is big enough to take a cutting from. Once you have the cutting it takes 1-week to root (being optimistic). Once you put this immature plant into the flowering space it might take a while before the start of 12/12 before you can determine its sex. In the meantime you could of just inspected the nodes with a jeweler's loop at about 1-month from sprout and figured out whether you have a boy or girl. With magnification and cannabis is very easy to sex in veg.

Pine

Island Sweet Skunk plant @ about 1 month. Picture was taken after sex was confirmed female.
what do you mean," inspect the nodes with a jewelers' loop at month from sprout"?
are you saying in veg there's a way determine sex?

JohnnyToke

you put the cuttings directly on 12/12. I do it with my Ez-clone and works great.. they will show you sex without being rooted.

excellent advice! I dont even use my cloner for this. I take a cutting, place in a glass of water under 12/12 and it will show sex without rooting! works everytime.

JT

Dr Dog

Veteran

Pine

Not all plants show sex at week 4

HazySunshine

A buddy of mine went to 12/12 just to sex his plants, and then went back to vegging soon after. It set him back about a month. He was experimenting at the time, and I don't think he would sex the mother plant like that again.

All in all, I agree with what everyone else has stated, take clones and 12/12 the clones. Messing with the lighting on these plants can have negative consequences e.g. hermies, so if you don't have to sex the mother plant, don't.

Latest posts

Latest posts