What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Few Of The Many Things I've Made

mytwhyt

I'm always making, something.. This thread will wander, and if something shiny catches my attention, divert..
These are a few things made of sterling.. One of a kind ,made in wax then cast using the lost wax process.
The elephants are links for a bracelet, the split link is where the clasp will go. I'll make rubber molds of the elephant links.. It's then easy to make as many as needed..
The horse has a small ruby in the eye.. The lapis I cut and polished, the ring was made to fit the stone..
Most of my current casting is done using aluminum and using sand casting. Doesn't cost a lot, and I'm able cast several pounds at a time..

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 55

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I got a tiny smelter in just this week. Still aimlessly melting and pouring. Piles of ingots and mounds of slag. Old coins are dirty.
Mostly it is me with the slag but am getting better at skimming before pouring. I suspect it is an art.
I'm doing quarter pound melts and so far I like Aluminum Bronze, but with less than a full week of experience many of my assumptions are going to turn out silly, if not embarrassing.
Here's some shots of ingots I made to get the metal into consistent sizes. The fun is in melting and pouring, so far there has been no need to produce anything usable. Aluminum Bronze is cheap to make and casts easily for beginners. A lot of waste, price counts for a lot.

Getting old and this if a really fine low impact hobby. I am pleasantly surprised, thank you for sharing.

Attachments

• photo2038842.jpg
    photo2038842.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 51
  • photo2038843.jpg
    photo2038843.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 51

Cuddles

I'm always making, something.. This thread will wander, and if something shiny catches my attention, divert..
These are a few things made of sterling.. One of a kind ,made in wax then cast using the lost wax process.
The elephants are links for a bracelet, the split link is where the clasp will go. I'll make rubber molds of the elephant links.. It's then easy to make as many as needed..
The horse has a small ruby in the eye.. The lapis I cut and polished, the ring was made to fit the stone..
Most of my current casting is done using aluminum and using sand casting. Doesn't cost a lot, and I'm able cast several pounds at a time..

nice work mate. I really and I mean seriously miss being able to work with metal. As a matter of fact I was thinking about how much I´d love to do some brazing etc. in the shower this morning :)

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
very nice. love the rings...post the bracelet when you finish casting.
i'm still building a furnace, ...two DIY frosty-tee burners, concrete, lined with refractory cement...have a kaowool blanket coming in the next week or so.
i'm also fabricating lifting tongs, next will be pouring tongs. after that i 'll be welding some angle iron into molds for ingots.
i have literally hundreds of pounds of aluminum cans to purify...i'll be busy for a minnit.
stay frosty!

mytwhyt

Trichrider
Been away since I started this thread. You'll need something like this to harden the blanket. Amazon.com: Simwool Rigidizer - Coating for Ceramic Fiber Blanket - 1 Gallon: Arts, Crafts & Sewing I like it because it's good to 2300* F.. This is an furnace I built using a cut down metal 5 gallon metal can and insulating fire bricks.. Three cut in half, and two for the floor.. An old photo copy stand was used to raise and lower the top half.. A stainless steel bowel lined with hardened fiber blanket.. I have a zipped file that showes in detail how to build an assortment of different sizes of that type burner if you're interested..
View attachment IMG_1794_1.jfif View attachment IMG_180221.jfif View attachment IMG_186218.jfif View attachment IMG_223617.jfif View attachment IMG_224717.jfif

Last edited:

mytwhyt

I often don't find my mistakes until after I post.. The edit option is usually on the bottom left. All I get is a quote and flag on the lower right. The edit isn't there for me.

Cvh

Supermod
I often don't find my mistakes until after I post.. The edit option is usually on the bottom left. All I get is a quote and flag on the lower right. The edit isn't there for me.

Only full members can edit posts.
You need a minimum of 50 posts and one week of registration to become a full member.

Cuddles

that´s odd, maybe you don´t have enough posts yet, although I can´t think why a newbie should not be able to edit ?

mytwhyt

Here's a few more. The knife is carved dear antler with sterling lost wax cast added. there's an cabochon emerald.. The blade was given by a friend to make a handle, sadly he passed before it was finished.. The skull was cast in aluminum.. Intended to be used on a gear shifter knob.. I went through a skull casting faze.
IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0233.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG

mytwhyt

I'm working on a 6.5"x6.5"x1/4" Raiders plaque, in aluminum, to be welded to 1 1/2" square tubing to fit the trailer hitch receiver on my truck.. A person can make anything they want, no matter who holds the rights. You just can't sell it.. And get caught doing that. They will try to spank you..