What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RIP Leslie West

Sunshineinabag

Fuk 2020 man ....music and it's lovers are what seperates the groupies from the rock stars ....yeah I'm rare form. Rip....may he play for the universe!

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Currently listening to Nantucket Sleigh Ride ....
picture.php
picture.php

shithawk420

Veteran
Fuk 2020 man ....music and it's lovers are what seperates the groupies from the rock stars ....yeah I'm rare form. Rip....may he play for the universe!

You aren't that rare.im 32 and listen to all kinds of stuff like Yes and ELP.fuck this new garbage though. RIP Leslie west.was a cool guitar rif he had going for him.almost like Jimmy Hendrix

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
On Hendrix, he jammed with West at least once at his home. Hendrix played bass while West was playing lead and rhythm. That tells me something. Hendrix was always trying to learn and borrow riffs and learn new stuff.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
On Hendrix, he jammed with West at least once at his home. Hendrix played bass while West was playing lead and rhythm. That tells me something. Hendrix was always trying to learn and borrow riffs and learn new stuff.

i read a story in a music mag. the writer claimed he had been in a studio with Hendrix while West & Mountain recorded once. they watched for a bit & Hendrix allegedly asked the writer if he thought Leslie West might be better than him...

G

I didn't know L West had passed until this AM. I've been a bit out of it, and not paying a lot of attention to some things.

Saw Mountain at Aquinas College in Grand Rapids Michigan in 1975. Amazing show. Can't recall but I think they were there with Ruby Starr, with Jim Dandy and Black Oak Arkansas.

LW stated once that they'd been dosed by another band at a show (I think he said The Dead slipped them some cans of soda that appeared sealed, but had been tampered with).

I think Eric Clapton was on stage, and Leslie and Band were peeking out from behind the curtain, now tripping pretty good, and Leslie, listening to Clapton, tuned to his band mates and said, "We suck!!" ;)

Despite his often relying on power chords a lot of the time, I was often awed when he took those log-size fingers and found his way up and down the frets.

'For Yazgur's Farm'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcQoIm20sfA
---------------------------------------------
Fillmore East, 1971

'Silver Paper'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phWUEYDVU1w

Latest posts

Latest posts