What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LIVE: House Poised to Vote to Decriminalize Marijuana on the Federal Level

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
You are cheering the feds taxing dope and related products. They will never stop, and homegrowing will probably be like moonshine.

Hippies used to want less of the damn guvmint in their lives. Now days, they worship the damn government, praising it whenever it gives them back something that is theirs in the first place. They had no right making cannabis illegal to begin with.

Breadwizard

I really hope they end up closer to home brewing beer or winemaking, vs distilled alcohol. You're allowed to brew up to 250 gallons per person per household currently, but nobody really enforces that limit because it's hard to prove when a bottle was brewed if you don't put a label with a year on it.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
I really hope they end up closer to home brewing beer or winemaking, vs distilled alcohol. You're allowed to brew up to 250 gallons per person per household currently, but nobody really enforces that limit because it's hard to prove when a bottle was brewed if you don't put a label with a year on it.

^this all the way brother!
we should be free to cultivate just like any other another garden vegetable for our own use
/the commercial side is a totally different scene, but cannabis is not a dangerous drug

White Beard

I’m discouraged to find that this bill is not DEscheduling but REscheduling cannabis from Schedule 1 to Schedule 4. Schedule 4 is a hazy no-one’s-land filed with depressants like the barbiturates, pain-killers like Darvon and Darvocet, and sleeping pills/soporific like Ambien. MANY of these are prescription-ONLY.

The list of Schedule 4 denizens includes zolpidem, diazepam, lorazepam, chloral hydrate, phentermine, Miltown, Halcion, Klonopin, and Ativan.

It may be ‘less restrictive’ than schedule 1, but if anything, moving cannabis to schedule 4 makes it’s status even more murky - and does absolutely nothing to encourage states to take more informed positions and enact more ‘liberal’ legislation.

As this is unlikely to cross the McConnell barrier, I suggest we all let our representatives in the house know that we expect better from them. Link them to ‘Emperor’, link them to the 1894 British study of cannabis in India, link them to discoveries about the endocannabinoid system.

Tell them to do better.
Tell them we’re watching.

White Beard

You are cheering the feds taxing dope and related products. They will never stop, and homegrowing will probably be like moonshine.

Hippies used to want less of the damn guvmint in their lives. Now days, they worship the damn government, praising it whenever it gives them back something that is theirs in the first place. They had no right making cannabis illegal to begin with.

Surprise! I basically agree with you.

Sadly, pitching that particular fit is almost exactly as effective as any other tantrum. Saying “they have no right” should have been done long ago...back when the AMA argued against prohibition IN CONGRESS - and even THEY weren’t effective. And while agree that it must be said, *should* be said, you’re preaching to the choir

The reason they weren’t effective in preventing prohibition is that cannabis was not widely used, few people knew anything about it, and the drive behind prohibition was to make it easier to incarcerate minorities and strip them of their voting rights.

You make an interesting point: we were anti-establishment in the old days, considered ‘liberal’, we had a hate/hate relationship with law enforcement, and we felt ourselves ‘in solidarity’ with the black and Latino communities. On the other side were the ones who hated us for our distrust of government (“DISLOYAL!!!”), for hanging out with “THOSE people”...and advocated martial law, “unleashing the police”, and summary execution of protesters and the unco-operative (“COMMUNISTS!!!”).

Now, we’re still anti-establishment - in part because those who hated us have taken over government in most places, so we still have much the same ‘relationship’ with law-enforcement; but we now recognize that we can’t change the government by circling the wagons and blowing our horns - many of us became constitutional scholars.

The other side is still the same: you still hate us, but for being “PRO” the same government used used to kick the shit out of us for protesting, you still adore law enforcement - despite your “rebel heritage”, at least in part because we still hang out with “THOSE people”; and in at least some cases, you’re still in favor of martial law, summary executions, and unleashing the police” on your imaginary “disloyal communists”.

So, I guess nothing’s really changed, the people who hated us then still hate us, they just smoke weed now.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I am of the opinion that it was the liberal hippies who wormed their way into politics, and once in power - were corrupted. Ask Cali how the liberals running the show are doing for them. I grew up there (figuratively), and it was a cool place until the money went bad in 1971.

Having lived through some pretty good times in America, and seeing how it is ending up, I want the guv and their control to just leave me alone. Please. I see the liberals and their love of government control as a threat to my liberty, thus the pushback.

G

I have already sent mail again to my Hoosier Congress critter for voting against this even though it’s a flawed and basically waste of time bill. Won’t vote for this person and will vote libertarian instead.

therevverend

Veteran
Schedule 4 is a hazy no-one’s-land filed with depressants like the barbiturates, pain-killers like Darvon and Darvocet, and sleeping pills/soporific like Ambien. MANY of these are prescription-ONLY.
Schedule 4 is actually good news, those type of drugs are not difficult to get a prescription for or heavily regulated. I was worried it would end up lumped with the opiates in Schedule 2. When was the last time you heard about a big ambien bust? Considering how conservative the most powerful lawmakers are it's impressive. There's no way it passes a Republican senate or withstands a Trump veto. It's more a symbolic political maneuver but I expect things to get better in the near future.

Let's also keep some perspective, you can complain about the guv'ment but prohibition isn't good for anyone. If cannabis is de-criminalized it will change a lot of people's lives for the better. I live in a legal 'market' with a shitty system that has the state up everyone's ass. Even so I can grow my medical plants in my backyard in front of God and everyone and not worry about getting fucked. I can drive around with a jar full of pot and a bong in my trunk and not worry every time I see a cop. This improves the quality of my life enormously. If it means I also have to put up with demonstrators blocking traffic or wearing a face mask when there's an epidemic I really don't give a shit.

White Beard

True words, man. Had not intent to blindly trash the government: we are a self-governing people, and the government is the tool we use for arranging for things we all need and benefit from. True, it’s not a perfect tool, but we’d do less well without it - and we’re pretty bad citizens, most of us: we don’t stay informed, and we don’t stay engaged, and we let convenience override our sense of duty.

I sincerely hope that the bill that makes it through is a better bill than this, and does something to defang “me too” state legislation that followed the federal led into prohibition.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
it seems the only time they pass populous legislation is when they know it won't pass both chambers, house and senate. Pandering is what it is, hot air. They know its dead on arrival.

G

it seems the only time they pass populous legislation is when they know it won't pass both chambers, house and senate. Pandering is what it is, hot air. They know its dead on arrival.
Very true but at least they are forced to vote against it. I have been a life long R voter mainly and I have always been a single issue voter in support of the second amendment, I always figured supporting the constitutional rights TKBA was a bellwether indicator but Im unfortunately going to have to start voting libertarian more. I have in the past and will in the future since the same people run both parties in the background IMO.

EsterEssence

Veteran
It won't get passed mitch's desk, hopefully he becomes the minority leader after the Georgia runoff elections. He has way to much power...

RookMan

Don’t get your hopes up.

Don’t get your hopes up.

I hate to be negative but the house lawmakers who passed the bill knew it would not be passed later on in the cycle down at the senate so they voted without caring. It was an empty dead bill. The lawmakers just passed it to let us feel like we won. Don’t be fooled.

BongFu

I hate to be negative but the house lawmakers who passed the bill knew it would not be passed later on in the cycle down at the senate so they voted without caring. It was an empty dead bill. The lawmakers just passed it to let us feel like we won. Don’t be fooled.

Agree with you on that.. Besides that it's not like they are pushing through legalization but decriminalization... see below

Shown Here:
Reported to House, Part I (11/27/2020)
Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act of 2019 or the MORE Act of 2019

This bill decriminalizes marijuana.

Specifically, it removes marijuana from the list of scheduled substances under the Controlled Substances Act and eliminates criminal penalties for an individual who manufactures, distributes, or possesses marijuana.

The bill also makes other changes, including the following:

replaces statutory references to marijuana and marihuana with cannabis,
requires the Bureau of Labor Statistics to regularly publish demographic data on cannabis business owners and employees,
establishes a trust fund to support various programs and services for individuals and businesses in communities impacted by the war on drugs,
imposes a 5% tax on cannabis products and requires revenues to be deposited into the trust fund,
makes Small Business Administration loans and services available to entities that are cannabis-related legitimate businesses or service providers,
prohibits the denial of federal public benefits to a person on the basis of certain cannabis-related conduct or convictions,
prohibits the denial of benefits and protections under immigration laws on the basis of a cannabis-related event (e.g., conduct or a conviction),
establishes a process to expunge convictions and conduct sentencing review hearings related to federal cannabis offenses, and
directs the Government Accountability Office to study the societal impact of cannabis legalization.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th...?q={"search":["MORE+Act,+marijuana"]}&r=1&s=5

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How can you tell a politician is lying? His mouth is moving

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Very true but at least they are forced to vote against it. I have been a life long R voter mainly and I have always been a single issue voter in support of the second amendment, I always figured supporting the constitutional rights TKBA was a bellwether indicator but Im unfortunately going to have to start voting libertarian more. I have in the past and will in the future since the same people run both parties in the background IMO.

damn, Stewie! we have a lot more in common than i would ever have imagined! huge props sir...:good:

Latest posts

Latest posts