What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SNOT ON MY ROOTS - PLEASE HELP

spreadhead

I have been growing for about 5 years in a small stand alone ceder like closet. 150hps just under 3 sq/ft. normally grow in 1 gallon containers with an aquarium bubbler...worked well....but last couple of grows plants would get about 5 weeks into flowering and died. determined from help here water level kept too high and stem would rot....so cleaned everything and started over with a sog style..this is new for me...
noticed this mucus like stuff building up on clones once transplanted to flower room. no shit just like snot. using 4 gallon kitty litter box. normally i used distilled water, but this time used tap and let sit a couple days with a bubbler...ph was a little high so adjusted TO 5.8.
can someone tell me what this is? sprayed dilute h202 and snot fizzed like a cut.
dumped water cleaned container, hoses, and stones with bleach. refilled with distelled water added h202 in 15ml/gallon.
rinsed roots and tried to get snot off but some of the roots broke...very delicate...added b1 but waiting for direction from here on how to proceed.
again, i am 1 week into flowering and plants are starting to stretch but after trying to get snot off i may want to put back into grow room.
PLEASE LOOK AT THESE PIC"S AND SHOW ME THE WAY

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
I agree with 10k

Your water temps are too warm and or light reaching the root zone
Yellow buckets are not good to use they let too much light in, you want to get the bucket to a dark color that does not absorb light like black.

THat may be the other problem is the color of your bucket you are using as well.

I started using a yellow bucket with my hydro grow, one of those tidy cats 5 gallon kitty litter jugs......

got snot on my roots and then realized I forgot about the color of the bucket needs to be so I changed it, problem solved......

WIth that snot though, you will need to clean everything up a bit or it will come back. Get some products listed one of them that 10k listed, or get some hydroguard.

You can use 1 tsp per gallon of h202 to dip your roots in and out to help clear the gunk off that was not washed off by spraying.....and to kill any bacteria that is starting.

If you have a sprayer you can try to spray the gunk off, do not try to pull it off with your hands you will end up ripping your roots......

It fizziled due to bacteria present. I would not add h202 to your system though, it can do more bad than good...... even since the snot is going to come back due to water temps and color of your buckets....... it ends up killing off beneficial bacteria and bad then leaves the plant defenseless for a bit and it does not kill off all bad bacteria so it comes back quicker and harder sometimes.

spreadhead

Thanks...Stich and X...I hear you on the color and I will change that tonight...temps in the container are 65....outside temps are 78
i did make the mistake of pulling some of it off with my hands and damaged roots...this morning all looked good. i run my light through the night...but before reading i did add h202 to my container.
i may be wrong, but this is the first time i used tap water...although the ph was adjusted could that had anything to do with it?
hey what kind of paint...dollar general flat black work?
using the basic adv. nutes grow flower bloom...thats it, but right now nothing but a little b1 to ward off the shock i put my plants through last night pulling the snot off.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
pH adjusted would not cause the snot, it's the light reaching the roots is the issue, how often are you checking the temps in the container?

Get some hydroguard or some other product that protects against fungus growth.

Black paint would work, 2 coats same with black duck tape... 2 coats and the lids will
Your lid may or may not need it depending on how thick it is and how dark the color is..... Take the lid and put a flash light under it or put it near a light, if you see light penatrating or the color gets brighter then it needs taped up.

burnt out og'er
Veteran
you're best off with a color that reflects heat while being opaque.
Some folks use a couple coats of black, followed with a couple coats of white so the tub stays cool instead of becoming a giant heat draw transfering harmful warmth into the res.
Plasti-dip spray on works great for the above ending up very opaque after the first couple coats.

Not sure how well it covers, but krylon also makes a spray paint for plastics. Same principle though with several coats black and white over that to reflect the light.

Light test... take it outside and stick your noggin inside...you'll know if light is shining thru heh heh

Pleanty of ways to skin the cat though. You can just cover it with duct tape and then shade the tubs using black&'white "panda film" plastic between the tub tops and the lights.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
That is a good idea 10k about the black and white on the buckets :D

10k how can I tell who posted in threads I posted in without subscribing to them..... it only lets me view the last few I posted in and does not keep track.

just like on overgrow when you went to your control panel you seen what threads you posted in and it tells you when someone posted in a thread you posted in.....

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
All the advice given to you is excellent thus far. Keeping light out is always a mandatory requirement. If your roots have gone to mush, start over because they are dead and you will be wasting your time. If the roots are pretty strong still then you have a chance at turning this around. I will tell you even with water temp and light leak corrections you may still have this problem. You have been bitten by the hydro herpe after all your years of growing. I never got rid of it. Get yourself in the sticky link provided above by 10k. Read your heart out because all your answers are there.

spreadhead

i appreciate everything and will heed the advice and paint container this weekend.
being the hard headed grower i am and i have been using 1 gallon clear containers and never had this problem...did have the water level get too high and killed a couple plants. that being said i have followed stitchs advice before and 10k good direction...anything that can be done until i can paint...using h202 bu i think i am wasting it
have some EN and EA do you think that would help? just checked there is less snot than yesterday...should i add my advance nutes or wait.
also the physan 20 i guess i would put it in with my plants for a period of time then replace with clean water?

Last edited:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
I would go ahead and add your nutes, you will need to add some amendments to the system to avoid the snot from coming back........ that snot is so damn nasty man it looks like someone hocked there looges on it.......

What do you mean by "i have followed stitchs advice before and" you cut your sentence off lol.

Weedninja

10k said:
Not sure how well it covers, but krylon also makes a spray paint for plastics. Same principle though with several coats black and white over that to reflect the light.
It's called Fusion and it's like $7 a can if I remember correctly. It does cling pretty well to plastic. You might be able to get away with using it for the first 2 coats and then switching to a cheaper paint.

spreadhead

in my years of growing this is not the first time i have had problems...i too came from og but did more reading than questioning. if you notice i have been a member since 2005 with very little posts. i have gone on you plant infirmary many times for anwsers...but there was something else you helped me on but my memory is failing at the moment...
what i was saying is thank you.
10k was right on time...makes me think all the problems i have been having is from this algae..in my photo galley.
so do you add the physan 20 to my dwc with the plants in it,,,i assume so...how long do allow it to sit before flusing it out with clean water.
this is what has happened the last couple grows...but to preface i have been growing dreamgoddess for years under same conditions..check out these picks..originally thought water level too high because no slime but here is what happen in week 4 to 5

i swear i grow beautiful plants but i have been through a little spell of trouble that i believe is all related

happy plant

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Its cool man, everyone at least one point in there life has had a bump in the road especially when they change growing conditions, nutrients, lightings strains and such you can't predict if a problem will happen.

Ahh ok, lol I got confused cause it made it look like you stopped talking and went to a run on sentence :)
Yes, your problems are caused by this slime, 10k can help you with the directions with the physan.

spreadhead

10k and stich
Looks like I have a little control at the moment, but since these plants are just 2 weeks into flowering would you reveg and allow for the plants to get healthy?

How does the physan 20 work..do you let the roots soak in it a couple days then rinse the container?
i read that plants did not like it...does it stunt growth cycle. i have been reading the physan 20 link and i do not get the true directions...any advice would be greatly appreciated...and again thanks for everyone's help

richyrich

Veteran
Don't get me wrong but as I previously posted, all of your answers are in that sticky. Go to the sticky and hit the filter on my name. I have 95 posts in there. Read it thoroughly and you will be glad you did. Your answer is 5ml per 52 gallons for the Physan 20.

It will not kill the plants and it only needs to be in there for a few hours. Dump it and rinse everything. Then add some Dutch Master Zone to keep it contained. That is what you can do to salvage your crop at this point.

Last edited:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Yes, I would cause roots grow the most in the first 2 weeks of flowering and slow down, but still grow the rest of the flowering cycle.

Your yield will greatly be reduced since your having this issue and in flowering cause it's going to take a little time for the plant to fully heal itself once that snot is gone, the plants will perk up right away after the snot is gone.... but it needs to heal after that.

spreadhead

Tried to find Physan 20 locally with no luck. I micro grow and use small containers. some are 1 gallon. what i have done is filled up container with tap water and added a couple drops of bleach. and let plants soak. the snot is not as bad but i have now discovered it on the mother in another room. i am so tempted to scrap everything and start over. i have a dreamgoddess plant 4 weeks into floweing...roots look great and just light proff containers...although i have been using same clear containers for years..last couple grows it has been about 4 weeks then this happens

Last three times..but the plant flowering now is huge and blocking light from root zone.

Snot is not as bad as it was but it is still present
Keep you posted

10k although the post has all the answers you sure have to pick through it to find them.i was only on page 9 until i just filtered your post.
:violin: :violin:

Last edited:

richyrich

Veteran
richyrich said:
Don't get me wrong but as I previously posted, all of your answers are in that sticky. Go to the sticky and hit the filter on my name. I have 95 posts in there. Read it thoroughly and you will be glad you did. Your answer is 5ml per 52 gallons for the Physan 20.

I hope you didn't read all those pages after I had already posted this for you.