What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what would it take?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
let's play a game. let's say, for example, that you had to leave your home in 8 hours, and could never come back to civilization, what would you want to carry into the woods in your back pack? i'm thinking a good axe, raingear, traditional archery tackle, good knives, whetstone, a FUCKLOAD of salt... fishing line, hooks, you know. let's hear YOUR list of SICDW. (shit i can't do without):thank you:

Sunshineinabag

Flint's.......mapping stone......fishing line/hooks
I'd need a sharp saw/ sharpener
A vessel to boil water/stews
A marine corp e2 entrenching shovel
Recurve bow extra bow string

G

Compass, axe, saw, rifle, sidearms, veggie and canna seeds, H2O purification systems (portable purification equipment and multi-phase tablets), ammunition, smaller reloading press portable), sharp knives and small tool set, magnesium fire-starter, LOTS of matches, high protein compact energy sources for food, topo maps, satellite phone and cell phones, and the telephone number for the local air rescue folks.

And a big lunch. That's apt to be a heavy pack when it's filled.

coredump

Mirror, axe, 2 knives, flint, thick mil tarp, polypropylene clothing, condoms, metal cooking pot, seeds of all types, salt, tons of my heart medicine, albuterol inhalers, harmonica, a good hat, deck of cards and a picture of Bernie Sanders in his mittens.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Eff that, set up shop and lob an obscene amount of lead at whatever is coming. Not one to be driven into the woods involuntarily.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Seems like a fun mental exercise, but what's the premise behind fleeing into the woods? Escaping law enforcement/people chasing you, or the complete breakdown of society (apocalyptic event like asteroid strike or zombie plague)? If the first, then 'civilization' is still around and you'd have to forage or steal necessary items you can't make yourself: Dumpster diving for food you can't gather yourself like bread, etc. Stealing clothes off washlines when it gets cold or your current clothes falls apart. It's really rough living in the woods with only the stuff you can carry, it can be done but it's hard to do for years and years.
If the second, then civilization is gone and you're free to scrounge or forage in abandoned stores, houses etc, assuming you don't run into rival gangs, cannibals, zombies etc. In that regard it can be much easier stockpiling necessary items but significantly higher risk if there are lots of dangerous two-legged beasts running around.

Hempy McNoodle

Seems like a fun mental exercise, but what's the premise behind fleeing into the woods? Escaping law enforcement/people chasing you, or the complete breakdown of society (apocalyptic event like asteroid strike or zombie plague)? If the first, then 'civilization' is still around and you'd have to forage or steal necessary items you can't make yourself: Dumpster diving for food you can't gather yourself like bread, etc. Stealing clothes off washlines when it gets cold or your current clothes falls apart. It's really rough living in the woods with only the stuff you can carry, it can be done but it's hard to do for years and years.
If the second, then civilization is gone and you're free to scrounge or forage in abandoned stores, houses etc, assuming you don't run into rival gangs, cannibals, zombies etc. In that regard it can be much easier stockpiling necessary items but significantly higher risk if there are lots of dangerous two-legged beasts running around.

Aliens with flame throwers and lasers that evaporate people and their pets, let's just say.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That seems somewhat specific, but if it's an alien invasion then it's simple: if an alien race capable of faster than light travel is intent on destroying the human race (and their pets!) with lasers and whatnot, then there's nothing any of us could do to prevent it. Maybe fleeing to the deep woods buys you a little more time, but if the president of the United States isn’t safe in an underground bunker 2 miles deep then you or I holed up in a cave somewhere aren’t going to make it either.

There’s this y-tuber called grey bearded green beret who does a lot of survival and prepper videos, his latest video https://www. Youtube . com/watch?v=_MqfAPhUUbc goes on about how in his opinion people focus too much on the bug out scenario, or surviving in the wilderness with whatever you can carry on your back, which for long term survival is implausible at best, almost impossible if you have a family with you (children etc).

pjlive

I'm prepared for this. Should an alien invasion against humanity and their pets ever transpire, I'm going to take up all the munitions available to me -- and join them. While they're lazering the shit out of global government entities and their Lasa fucking Apsos and piece of shit Peek-A-Poos, I'll make a B-line to the local Cable Company. BOOM! Then I'm off to the Cellular Communications block: BOOM!! BOOM!!! After that I'll just pick off. . . well, I'd better take a deep breath and have myself a rip. I don't want to get myself too excited over something that will probably never happen.

Anyway, I have a plan. :alien:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
A hammock makes a ton of sense, lot more comfy than lounging on the ground. Did you do SERE training?

The whole "Escape into the woods and never come back to civilization" idea is highly unrealistic even for trained survivalists. You'd have to be like the michael jordan of survivalists to be able to live years and years in the wild with only what you can carry on your back. Even outlaws who survived for years in the woods like the unabomber and atlanta olympic park bomber often came back to towns for supplies, especially food.

Latest posts

Latest posts