What's new

Dr.Bud for Dummy's

DHarvester

Nice post hempy! The link was very informative. Do you know what the "plastic liners" are called and where I could find them?

D.

so theres no risk of root rot or anything letting your plants sit in water?do they drink it up before it becomes an issue..is it still possible to overwater with this method?or do the plants just stop taking in water when they've had enough..anyway it seems like a hassle free watering and feeding method..

dude06version said:
so theres no risk of root rot or anything letting your plants sit in water?do they drink it up before it becomes an issue..is it still possible to overwater with this method?or do the plants just stop taking in water when they've had enough..anyway it seems like a hassle free watering and feeding method..

If they just sit there soggy, then yes they will be overwatered and mold or rot would be an issue. What Dr Bud does is....

1: Mix nutes in a bucket.
2: Grab pot and dunk into the bucket.
3: As the water rises up through the holes in the bottom of the pot it soaks everything 100% and drives any gases up and out the top.
4: Lift pot out of the nute bath after the bubbles stop and let it drain. This draws fresh air back into the soil and leaves the plant with a uniformly damp, aerated soil mix to thrive in.

Let the pot get good and dry before watering the next time and you will have happy healthy plants. (The only problem I have had with this style of growing is overwatering...let that pot dry out and get super light before giving it the next drink!)

DHarvester said:
Nice post hempy! The link was very informative. Do you know what the "plastic liners" are called and where I could find them?

D.
Not sure about any liners, I just been using the 20oz pop bottles straight up. I can't see any difference between those I painted so that light would be blocked and those that are clear, so I just cut 'em and plant now.

ChronJohn

good looks on this thread post eLigul! a good run-down on the Dr's methods, great for quick reference; no more filtering his threads to sort shit. K+! (would do it for real but don't have enough posts heh heh)

It seems i'm not the only one predicting that this method of growing is the future for people like us who want their own supply from a very efficient, stealthy, compact grow area. Upon discovering this technique I scrapped my initial growplan as this method outperforms it in all areas by a country mile.

We need a group experimenting with this method and different kinds of lighting. T5s and HIDs as well as CFLs. It will also be nice to see other people's grows using this method. I'll put a diary up myself when my cab is all finished. Good one on posting this thread.

EDIT: bit of info for non-US growers - The pop bottles the Dr uses are 600ml originally. I've not been able to find any 600ml bottles in the UK. We get 500ml bottles so we might need to look for spring water bottles(which might be better as a lot of them are square - less wasted space), etc. Either that or just alter the method slightly for the smaller bottles that stuff like Dr Pepper comes in.

Last edited:

petemoss

Thundurkel said:
I think we need his method to reveg in here as well

This is what he said in one of his threads:

"The best way to Re-Veg is to take that plant and Harvest the rest of them put that plant on 24/7 light with ALL the buds still on it ...in a lil' while they will start to stretch out the top of each bud......at that point cut 90% of the buds off of her and keep her on 24/7 ...she will start to suck the inside of the buds that are left..... out its cool to watch...clumps of branches will burst out of the buds ya' left at that point take many clones ....and start a new mother plant to keep small from the start...... and ya can Bud the Donor again"

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
CaptainStoner said:
It seems i'm not the only one predicting that this method of growing is the future for people like us who want their own supply from a very efficient, stealthy, compact grow area. Upon discovering this technique I scrapped my initial growplan as this method outperforms it in all areas by a country mile.

We need a group experimenting with this method and different kinds of lighting. T5s and HIDs as well as CFLs. It will also be nice to see other people's grows using this method. I'll put a diary up myself when my cab is all finished. Good one on posting this thread.
Have you seen my hydro micro sog? It's a start to what I think is a good idea for a micro grow thread using the docs methods in hydro. Maby some stickies with SOG and SCROG/training methods. I just wanted to second that thought.

EDIT: bit of info for non-US growers - The pop bottles the Dr uses are 600ml originally. I've not been able to find any 600ml bottles in the UK. We get 500ml bottles so we might need to look for spring water bottles(which might be better as a lot of them are square - less wasted space), etc. Either that or just alter the method slightly for the smaller bottles that stuff like Dr Pepper comes in.

InPotiTrust

Good thread eLiguL now this should help alot of people.I use the docs method but not everything like just how the doc took his time to find wat works for him i wanted to find mine.I have 254W of mixed spectrum so thats 4 6500k cfls and 1,150w HPS.My soil mix at the time was Miracle Grow Organic garden soil mixed with Perlite,Vermiculite,Earth Worm castings.I was feeding with Neptune's Harvest Fish Emulsion,Lactic Acid Bacteria,Papaya Extract,Molasses.I had to shut my cab down for a little but my next run is gona be coming up soon and i have made a few changes.Heres some pics to see how i did.

E

eLiguL

arne564 said:
when should you take the plants out to water them, during it's light cycle or during it's darkness cycle? also, is there a quicker method to water them?

can you root all the clones you need for the grow at one time and then take the clones when you need them without any negative effects?

Seems like your knowledge of MJ isnt at the point where this thread will be useful to you. Read up a bit more on the basics and your questions will be answered or you can be a lazy bastard and download some videos, i did.

Last edited:

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
arne564 said:
nah, i just never took a pot out of the grow space to water it and i'm not certain when i should.
When it's almost dry.

dr.bud rooted 72 clones at once, and that's all the clones he needed for his current grow space.

I believe he grows perpetually which means he only takes a certain amount of clones one week and takes the same amount the next week untill his room is filled and he is harvesting every week. If he/me were to flower all of our plants at once this method would not work. It must be perpetual in a micro grow with this many plants.
it will take a long time to water all of the plants that im going to be growing and i was simply looking for a faster way.

wouldn't it be easier to have just answered the questions? :(
No. Not really, their's many more details.

the way drbud grows is very simple, i understand everything about it pretty much.
Have you read pages 1 through 6 in his first thread?? your Q's will be A there.

peace and great growing to all.

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
dude you don't seem to know much. read threads for a month, then start asking questions. no one likes to hand hold...

and to point out to you if a plant is in "darkness" hours as you put it, NEVER expose it to light unless you wanna stress it out. a stress that can often times lead to hermies.

dimebagdk

i've done something similar but with 1 hps 400w, results were NICE, but now i have to scale down my grow and the cfls are the only alternative for such small space ( like the 210w cab of the Doc) but i cant find anywhere cfls bigger than 30w.
And i'm in europe so 1000bulbs and all the other us supply won't send (and we use different voltage,so bulbs wont work here)... anyone knows where i can order online some big cfl's?like 40-45w

sorry for all the typo errors but i'm stoned eehheh

bigd21

this is my first post, I am a long time reader, and normally post over at riu...... I plan to give this method a try, but after all the reading there are 2 questions i cant find the answer 2...first I know the lights are in a fixed position, is there anything done to bring the plants closer to the lights or are they just allowed to stretch? 2nd I know about the exhaust, but I was under the impression a fan was needed inside the box as well for air movement?

E

eLiguL

bigd21 said:
first I know the lights are in a fixed position, is there anything done to bring the plants closer to the lights or are they just allowed to stretch?

Please reread the "Light Mounting" section on the first page.

bigd21 said:
2nd I know about the exhaust, but I was under the impression a fan was needed inside the box as well for air movement?

The box has negative pressure and the blower acts as an exhaust as well as an air circulator.