What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Everything you need to know about the SCROG method

ballabuds

Scifreak,

I checked out that thread you recommended...And was blown away with what he does in that amount of space.

Anybody who is thinking about doing the scrog should take a look at it.

Thanks for the heads up.

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
the thing that you were describing-i think-they call a modular scrog-ie each module (either one or several plants) has the screen fixed to it so that it can be moved independantly. Often the pots-trays are on wheels so that they can be moved easily.

You don't have to weave the stems through the screen-you can bend them underneath the screen and fix with wire or clips. This is often better as it allow the branches to be re-positioned as they are growing. Sounds like a minor point but being able to move the branches into a better position can make a big difference, especially when things are getting out of hand.

I cannot understand why most indoor growers grow their plants as if they were in a field or on the side of a mountain-ie up. With scrog you end up with more budz closer to the lamp. Result is higher yields-it's that simple folks.
heres some pics from the dark side

here is a super lanky sat-still in veg

i tied it down like this for a day before i put the screen on

it was cool-

cheers
eddie

kalikush

Joe Budden said:
Time to start flowering?
So, you have turned back the timer to 12/12 and it has been 4 days now. The growth from the stretch is starting to show. You get in there and pull all those new shoots back under your screen and put them where you want them to be. A few more days pass. More growth. Now the decision part comes into play. Just how far over the screen do you want your buds to be? If you stop training them early in the stretch. They will grow alittle above the screen (maybe 3-6inches depending on the strian).

What have you guys experienced? I know its different for every strain so it will vary. I've got a DJ strain that looks similar to a sativa pheno (not super lanky) of Grape Krush or F-13. If you stop pulling them back under the screen after 4 days, will you only get 3-6 more inches of growth above the screen? Its been a while but I remember them stretching for 2 weeks and SCROG plants tend to be more mature and larger so I'd think there'd be more than 6" of stretch if only pulled back for 4 days. Today is the 4th day of 12/12 for me, I pulled them back on day 2 (when I took this pic) but I have about 9-10" for them to stretch. Im thinking I should let them reach for the stars now, I can probably pull them down an inch or two at the end of the stretch if needed but if they need more than that Im fkucked! :confused:

How much does it affect the yield if you keep pulling them back under the screen late into the stretch vs. just letting them stretch all they want?

Last edited:
G

Joe---sorry for the lag time on an answer. Regarding yield on the March 2008 Grow, the picture I posted is of the 3 x 12 scrog frame, there is a 3 x 6 to the left of it. Yield for the 54 square feet of scrog and 24 plants was 84 ounces, dried and cured weight. Total lamps: 6 x 600HPS Super Sun II hoods.

TyStik

PS: To all of you peeps, when doing a sog you are or may be growing a high number of plants which could cause you serious legal issues.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
My floorspace is 22 x 29 inches. I used to do a 24 plant SOG. With mothers and clones, it was common to have 50 plants or more at any given time. With ScROG, 3-4.

Hydro scrog

Hydro scrog

Here is one I hope you guys will like. Its only 2 plants in a 3' x 8' screen. It still has a lot of growth left in it. its a mostly sativa hybrid. 80% pure ethopian landrace sativa, 20% white widow x afgani hash plant. its a super trippy, pshycodelic, energetic upbeat high that hits you hard and fast and will stay with you for hours.
in this pic they are entering their 3rd week if flowering with about 9 to 10 more weeks to go, by the time they are finished every opening will have a big fat bud about 12 inches long growing out of it.
with tropical sats and high sat hybrids I use hps and metal halides together (more closely relates to the equitorial sun). Lighting is 4 x 200w mh and 2 x 400w hps mounted vertically in my diy reflector.Lighting is 4 x 200w mh and 2 x 400w hps mounted vertically in my diy reflector.
I won't go into the details of my hydro system.....it looks like DWC but it isn't.
I use the full line of advance nutrients for hydro, basic and suppliments.
Temp 80 to 85 degrees under light 70 degrees f dark. humidity 80% veg dropping 5% each week of flowering to get down to 45 % and hold there till harvest.
these 2 ladies will yeild at least 2000gr of sweet frosty bud after drying and curing....could go as much as 2500. For those of you who calculate such things thats about 1.25 to 1.5+ grams per watt....pretty good for mostly sat weed IMO

Peace and Love to all
Beach Bum

Attachments

• scrog.jpg
    scrog.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 18

kiheibuilt

beachbum, that set-up you got is the real deal! You got a grow journal going on here? If you do I gotta subscribe to it.

IC Grow

IC Grow

Hello kiheibuilt:
Thanks for the kind words.
I dont have a journal on here yet. i havent been on this site very long. I think I am going to start one just for IC in about 3 or 4 months. I have some old school maui wowee that is about 4 weeks into veg.
When they flower I am goung to pollinate a couple of females with pollen from one of my ethopian/ww hybrid males. I am going to grow out the result of that cross and we will all find out together how it turns out.
I guess it is pretty obvious that I love my sativas.:laughing:
Peace and love
Da Beach Bum

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good article - i would only recommend filling the screen 70-80% before flip with indicas that dont stretch too much. with more stretchy hybrids you want more like 40-50% and hardly at all for sativas which will fill the screen and then some in the stretch.

for modular scrog check my grow diary.

V.

hoknuf

This thread is very useful. I learned alot about SCROG. I used a PC case for my first grow. I grew Pure Power Plant strain in the case. I used LST method. But I got very small yield from it. This time I want to use SCROG method. PPP plant was one Main Cola plant. My question is: How can I make many branches plant out of PPP plant ? If it its only one Cola plant, Does SCROG method work for PPP plant ? Thanks.

jumanji2

Great thread bro..thats the best explanation of scrog ive read. Scrogs gonna treat my iss and real good im hoping..

Latest posts

Latest posts