What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

light wiring help

minigreens

i'm setting up my separate flowering cabs, and kind of confused on wiring the lights and just want to double check that i'm doing it right and wont burn the place down or get a nasty shock

diagramlg6.gif

is this an example of series or parallel?
i want a parallel circuit dont i?

Last edited:
G

Electrician here...That looks kosher to me, for CFL fixtures. Even though they probaly aren't metal fixtures or anything I'd make a joint in my grounds (the bare wire) together. Just remember brass screw = hot wire, silver screw = neutral. Let me know if you need anything else.

art

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Yeah mate, that's parallel indeed. (I always feel safer when more than one person says it, haha)

Good luck and as always, be careful. :yes:

minigreens

sweet, thanks for the help guys

hooked up the lights earlier...damn they are bright haha
6x 23w in a 19" tall, 15" deep, 15" wide flowering cab. need to set up the other one that is identical now, woo woo

cloneX

wiring

wiring

Hi is this the correct way to wire cfl's on one continous cable.(using this short peice of wire as a trail)I would strip insulation from circled wires, twist and inset into fixture and continue with next fixture until i attach a plug? I know nothing about wiring so grateful if anyone can tell if this is correct and safe?

Is this ok or should it be looped, using one wire into the fixture then take another wire into the next fixture, so I would have 2 wires in the second fixture, can someone please clarify?

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 28

ScrubNinja

Veteran
So... I think you're asking if you should strip some wire in the middle, bend it over, and stick that in the terminal, or cut the wires between each fitting?? If so, you want to cut them.

Or in other words, you'd have:

Light fitting > 3 brown, blue, & green wires > Light fitting > 3 new brown, blue, & green wires > Light fitting, etc.

The green/yellow wire is your earth and usually the terminal for that will be made of a different metal or stand out in some other way, if it's not simply marked. Hope it helps. Oh btw it will work either way you suggest, of course, - just that cutting is the standard way.

cloneX

Thanks for the reply ScrubNinja. I do understand earth, live and neutral just wasn't sure if I should "strip some wire in the middle, bend it over, and stick that in the terminal, or cut the wires between each fitting." It would probably be easier to cut them as it would make it easier and neater. Thanks

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Hehe cool, I just had to rephrase it because it was 1am, blazed as usual :D Hope it works well.