What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hornet's 250W Insulated Attic Cab (First Grow!)

Thanks for the comments

YwouldntI said:
nice nest hornet.clean setup,your gonna like the results you get in there.ur plants look healthy no doubt.peace
YwouldntI thanks for the compliment. I hope you are right about my results. A lot can go wrong between now and harvest. I'm just happy I've made it this far.

FreezerBoy said:
That's a pretty picture. Normally I'd avoid placing objects in the center and strive for some sense of assymetricality, positive and negative space, all that jazz but ... that's just a pretty picture
Thanks FreezerBoy. I'm not really trying to be artistic...just trying to show everything in a clear way. I guess every now and then it looks cool too.

tleaf jr. said:
nice but they look a little over water
Correct could you be, tleaf. I little over water might they indeed be.

Day 30 in the soil

Day 30 in the soil

Growing is a lot more fun than buying. I've got an anticipatory feeling that I haven't felt since I was a kid waiting for Christmas. :jump:

Training
The plants have been in the dirt for about a month. A week ago, I started a discipline program of FIM and LST. The results have been pretty successful so far. I've now got six well behaved bushes with multiple tops. I'm probably going to keep up with the LST and go pretty light on the FIM going forward.

I'm also pretty diligent about tucking my big fan leave down to expose more potential bud sites to the light. The plants look pretty small now, but I think if I had left them unmolested, they would be about 10" tall by now.

Environment
I'm on a 20/4 light cycle. My temps have been running about 75 during the light hours and around 65 during the dark cycle (i'd like things a bit warmer, but these temps seem to be working). My humidity stays pretty stable at 40%.

The Future
I will probably start flowering in about a week. Once the plants show their sex, I'll transplant the females (2 or 3) into bigger pots and continue. I'm expecting about a 60 day flowering period.

Overview of the Hornet's Nest

My Number One

Week old FIM site

Recent FIM site

LSTing

What do you guys think? What would you be doing differently? Thanks in advance!
:canabis:

busterbunny

I like the setup and so far your plants look very healthy. That attic will surely hide those plants from any unwanted pests. Are you going to scrog them at all? I can't wait to see how they turn out!

Thanks WheelsOG for the positive comments

...and

busterbunny said:
I like the setup and so far your plants look very healthy. That attic will surely hide those plants from any unwanted pests. Are you going to scrog them at all? I can't wait to see how they turn out!

busterbunny...I don't plan on scrog, especially since I'll be ditching 3 or 4 of those plants after they show balls. I don't want the boys all tangled up in a screen.
I probably could scrog them after they are sexed, but I think I'll just keep up the LST since this is my first grow...the LST is working great so far.
I definitely appreciate the suggestion though.

I should be flipping soon...

I should be flipping soon...

Had to leave the plants on their own over the weekend. They did very well under self-supervision. I'm a proud father. :D

..you definitely notice the growth if you aren't checking in all the time...

G

guest101

Hey man!
Excelent job on the grow and plants!! :joint:
My flowercab is about the size of yours!!
Good luck mate!
Wanna see that cannopy rise! hehe
Cheers :D

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
thats a damned nice grow for a 250. i plan to give a buddy of mine some of my old gear which includes a 250hps, reflector, the 250 bulb, and some pvc so he could build a frame for a closet.

hes grown b4 but this is his first time on his own, but hes knows his shit though. hopefully he gets the same results

Flowering: Day 5

Flowering: Day 5

Thanks for your comments Frank & Frank :wave:

I did the flip 5 days ago. Changed to my HPS bulb and the light cycle is now 12/12. I've given my first dose of Tiger Bloom (at 1/4 dosage). The plants have really taken off.

I'm continuing with the LST, but I'm running out of room. I hope they show sex soon so I can kick out the boys. I can keep three at most, two would be fine too.

Thanks to everyone looking in, keep the comments coming.
Here are my results so far.

G

guest101

wow thats dense!! hehe
Have you considered some trimming?
Best of lucks! :D

_frankenstein_ said:
wow thats dense!! hehe
Have you considered some trimming?
Best of lucks! :D

I did a little bit of FIMing in Veg. I work on my LST every day, and I try to be diligent about tucking fan leaves out of the way of bud sights. I don't want to have to do much trimming, but I may take a fan leaf here or there if I have no other option.

I hope to get rid of half of them soon. Then it's time to repot into 3 gallon containers and move forward. I know space is going to be tight no matter what.

Thanks for your comment Frank, you are about the only other grower that gives me box envy.
:canabis:

G

guest101

Damn... you trained the malesss!! :D
You could have cropped a steam of each one, put them in a glass of whater, in a shoe box with a 8W cfl and a inexpensive timer... 12/12.
Changing pot in flowering doesn fit my style, but if done on time before root bound, and carefully, no problem!
Best of lucks on the feemale ratio! ;)
By the way, just started a new round... check it out mate! :rasta:

Last edited:
_frankenstein_ said:
Damn... you trained the malesss!!
You could have cropped a steam of each one, put them in a glass of whater, in a shoe box with a 8W cfl and a inexpensive timer... 12/12.
Changing pot in flowering doesn fit my style, but if done on time before root bound, and carefully, no problem!
Best of lucks on the feemale ratio! ;)
By the way, just started a new round... check it out mate!

Good suggestions all around. I've never heard of pre-sexing that way. I may have to try that next time around. I was hoping i'd see sex in the first few days of flower. Might take a bit longer on this strain...grow and learn.

G

I like your setup bro... i am setting up a little bigger cab in my garage. What did you do to get the power for everything? was there already outlets or did you have to run a new one?

I tapped into existing wiring in the attic. I'm not a licensed electrician, but I'm very comfortable with household wiring. If you aren't, I'd either do a shitload of research, or ask a local friend for help. It's not difficult, but also not something i'd feel comfortable trying to teach you in the forums.

Just be persistent with your research.

Good luck and thanks for stopping by!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
When I first encountered this thread I thought you were crazy. Seems I was half right. You're crazy like a fox. Damn, that's a pretty grow. Gold Star for you.

Why'd you think I was crazy, FreezerBoy?

I guess I gotta work harder on acting normal in public....
:crazy:

I'm not crazy enough to ride a K75 though...I'm a Triumph Tiger man. Triples of the world unite!:headbange

Thanks for dropping by, I feel the love.

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Triumph? Now I know you're nutz. :D Do they still have the rear brake on the left? The old ones scared the @#$%* out of me cause I could never remember where the brake was. :friends: