What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Holding clones in stasis? (the refrigerator method)

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
done this a few times...have had it work and have had it mold real bad....put some in differnt bag and keep a good eye on them so you dont loose them.HH. =]-~

T

Teeg420

anyone else still use this method cause it would make my life a lot easier trying to maintain plant numbers with variety.

robotwithdreams

Veteran
I am a bit confused. Is the cutting simply cut from the plant and put in a bag WITHOUT any kind of medium? Thanks for sharing. I am sure threads like this help many.

T

Teeg420

well i am gonna try it and report back in a couple of months to see if it works.

I've done this, works fine. I keep them in a cup of tap water...I had the water freeze over on me one time and after thawing the cuttings still ended up rooting. I've never stored longer then 2 weeks but i don't see why you couldn't.

G

Greyskull

i have been doing this for a few months now.
i take big cuttings (8" long), clean up some of the undernodes leaving the top 4 or 5, then i wrap the ends in a wet paper towel, place them into a sandwich bag, then move thatinto a 1g freezer bag, then place that bag in the crisper. I have taken cuts out after 2-3 weeks and gotten roots with in 14days in an ezclone.

****i was wondering if putting fresh cuttings in the fridge helps kill any bugs/mildews/molds... or if the bugs/mildews/molds go into a stasis, also...****

G

Greyskull

update for ya'll...
i may have been lucky in the past when wrappig the cuts with a wet paper towel becasue the last couple of batches I have 'wrapped' i have had develop mold....

i have not yet tried placing the cuts in a cup of water (stems only) but may give that a shot, too...

Row

This is very interesting to me, and somthing i have heard of just a few weeks ago and heard good results from it to,

It would be great if some one could clear a few things up for me though.

Do you put the cuts into a ziplock bag that is completly dry? or lightly sprayed with water?

Is puting the clones in jars with some water in for the stems to sit in a better way? and then do you cover the top of the jar with say a bag and elastic band, so its like a humidity dome on the jar.

So i really need a few more details on how wet to keep the clones in the bag, if wet at all, do the stems need to be submerged in water?, or is the fact that there in stasis in a bag and therefore not transpiring meen they dont need any water, just a little humidity and the cold.

Does the fact that there in a dark fridge cause any flowering issues when they are rooted?

Im goiing to try this and i will get it to work, it would just be great to not lose 1000 untill i get it to work, man this will make my life so much easier. No need to have plants rooted in anyless than the optimal time before there needed

some more detailed info would be awesome,

thanks Row

TheDude#1

Hey there I.M. Boggled,
Could you keep ur clones frozen in the freezer for an indefinite amount of time then also if they are not rooted???

kurdunkle

update for ya'll...
i may have been lucky in the past when wrappig the cuts with a wet paper towel becasue the last couple of batches I have 'wrapped' i have had develop mold....

Its common practice for grape vine propagators to store cuttings for months in the fridge with a small amount of peat moss.

The peat moss is a natural anti fungal.
I don't see why you couldn't replace your paper towel with a little peat.

kurdunkle

NorthernKronic

Grower of fine herbs...
Veteran
I.M.Boggled says in the first post to put fresh cuttings (just cut and not sprayed with water) into a dry ziplock bag and then puff it up with your breath.. open twice a week... keep in the crisper..

Dry peat moss, not wet peat moss.... Since peat absorbs like 25 times its own weight in water it is really nice for drawing excess moisture away from things like cuttings and dormant perennials, shrubs and trees etc.. That is the way that most commercial nursery stock is (dormant of course) shipped every day..

-N.Kron:rasta:

G

Greyskull

aloha
i took 22 cuts off of my rasberry kush mother 6/21, bundled them all together, and dropped them into a 9oz cup filled halfway with tap water, and put them into the main level in my fridge. I've changed the water every other day (so twice, so far).

Its been 5 days now (waiting for the plants in the ez to finish 'putting their shoes on') and while i was changing the water out i decided to take a good look at the cut ends and see how they were looking....

looks pretty good to me thus far.

the thing i haven't really liked about bagging up the cuts is i always seem to get mold on a few of the fan leaves after a few weeks (maybe i haven;t been breathing into the bags enough???), and keeping them in the cup alleviates me of the idea of leaves getting soggy and starting the whole mold avalanche..

anyhow, so far, 5 days hanging out in a cup of water in the fridge the cuts seems to be holding on just fine. they are probably gonna remian in the fridge for another week before its their turn... i'lll be sure to share my results, positive or negative.

Attachments

• DSC01915.jpg
    DSC01915.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC01916.jpg
    DSC01916.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 33

Unkle Munki

I have not done this myself but would a dosing of H2O2 water help in knocking down the baddies without damaging the plants themselves? Seems worthwhile to try if it hasn't already.

G

Greyskull

hey update ya'll

the cup method i have been doing is working like a charm for me.
i am do cull the occassionally floppy cut but generally i can keep cuts for up to 3 weeks and have them root 5-14 days.

keeping cuts on hand is the shit! highly reccommended

m0ff99

Great thread,not tried this method of cloning......yet.........
Happy growing all....

PEACE OUT!!

Latest posts

Latest posts