What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

30+ Strains and hybrids for under US$200 (A diy "homegrown seed" guide)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
The author is an entity named "William Bloode" and was originally posted here.
http://www.treatingyourself.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4354
This is a "readers digest" version.
Poverty is a side effect for many of being long-term sick that is not often discussed, and in the spirit of self help and DIY I re-post and present these "Self-Help" genetic re-selection for propagation suggestions for possible home seed strain production. :)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

30+ Strains and hybrids for under US$200
(A diy "homegrown seed" guide)

I know that many folks here are on a limited budget, and don't have a lot of cash to spread around. With many of us being sick, and some of us around here living on medical disability fixed incomes, the paying of high prices for beans is simply a big financial no, no.
So what i have done is cobbled a simple plan together to show folks that you can make over 30 nice strains and hybrids for far less than $200 American.
This plan can be expanded upon to include more, or scaled down to fit a very restricted budget.
The key is providing oneself with quality genetics and a lot of variety.

I will use the Nirvana branded line of seeds as a base.
Not only are Nirvana seeds cheap, they offer a decent range of Ibl (Inbred line) that are relatively stable, and make for a nice basic selection of tasty potent hybrids that you can mix and match together, and make some awesome plants.

The key plan is simple, and is in fact is one that Nirvana seeds themselves (among many others) have used.
What we will be using are Ibl's to make 2nd gens, and outcrosses using a single parent ibl to keep most fairly stable and reliable.

For my purposes i chose 10 packs of seeds 4 of which are pretty stable.

The list is this:

#1: Afghan-
Stable indica, with typical Afgahn taste and smell, with very good potency and yield.

#2: Ak-48-
Hybrid with good yield, great potency with an awesome over whelming smell.

#3: Big Bud-
Stable mixed variety with medium potency and great yield. Not overly smell, nor overly tasty(Average on tasty smell and potency)

#4: Haze-
Not really a pure Haze, but a very potent hybrid with some sativa qualities and a unique taste.

#5: Ice-
A potent not to terribly stable polyhybrid of Northern Lights, Skunk#1, Afghan, and Shiva. Variable yet potent showing qualities of all parents.

#6: Hindu Kush-
medium potency, good yielding, short flowering, stable variety with that unique Hindu Kush flavor.

#7: Northern Lights-
One of the strains that set the standard back in the old days.
Low odor decently potent, good yielding herb, very stable.

#8: Nl x Haze-
Indica sativa hybrid with a slightly longer flowering period than those generally listed. (65-75 days) A Nice potent tasty strain.
A good choice for those who want a sativa high without many of the troubles of immense stretch, and long flowering times.

#9: Shiva-
Good yield with, potency, stability, and short flowering time.

#10: White Rhino-
the most raw potency of all, with good yields and medicinal flavor on this indica sativa hybrid.

The above is my personal list.
Nirvana has two other Ibl's in California Orange, and the Skunk #1 (<< both are cousins) and many other good hybrids you could substitute, or add your choice. As i mentioned the above is my personal list which i am most familiar with.

As i mentioned above, our breeding strategy is very simple.
We will be taking the Inbred Lines of the Afghani, Big Bud, Northern Lights , Hindu Kush, and Shiva.
Among these we will be making a group of F-1's.
F-1's are just simply a cross of any 2 of the Ibl's, and some outcrossed hybrids.
The outcrossing is simply adding some of the more stable Ibl genes to the hybrid varieties to keep down variability, as crossing 2 hybrids or 2 polyhybrids is a dicey unpredictable affair.

Does it sound like a lot to many of you?
Don't disspare it can be scaled down or modified to suit your personal needs, and conditions.
My point here is to illustrate how you can achieve a plethora of choices that will keep you busy for years to come.

1st of you will want to make 2nd gens of all Ibls and F-2's of all hybrids when you grow them initially.
This will supply you with a good stock of back ups of each one you can use later at your leisure.
Always choose wisely.
Pay close attention the the speed in which flowering takes place and observe them for several weeks of flowering to check to see if the smell and bud structure suits you.
Also always use more than one male when possible. that way you are not pigeon holed into a single genetic donor, which if it is a poor parent the others will provide back up.
The former is more important in the F-2's made of the hybrids, as the Ibl's will be more stable and predictable.

Our plan will require a small amount of space to harbor your 5 Ibl male parents for future breeding purposes. A small cabinet of say 18x18" and just 20" height will do. You only need minimal lighting so 2 25w compact flouros will do just fine. You can keep the fathers bonsai style and grown in small 1 qt pots.

Selection of your favorite male Ibl will be simple.
You just have to look at what you have and decide, was it vigorous enough? Did it have the type of structure i wish to pass on? How soon did it show flowers? How fast did it flower and begin to release pollen?

Making 2nd gens and F-2's is simple enough. Once you have chosen your male(s) you look for the female in each bunch that also meets your requirements of the above mentioned questions of males in the last paragraph. Then isolate, and pollinate. As for a place to do this you don't need mass amounts of space, or light. you could infact cut back your male parent stock and place them in stasis in the fridge and use that space. Or you could make you a small 1'x1'x18" cab or box with a single 25w cf as a pollination box. Size and mass amounts of light are not required to make seeds.

If using a male donor from the father box you will want to make and root a cutting at least one month ahead of when you expect to have the female ready.
The female need to be vegged at least 3-4 wks to assure plenty of calyxes to pollinate.
A week after pollination in the isolation cab you can or could return the plant to finish in your normal flowering room with the rest of your plants if you wish.

What are some of the possibilities of this proposed system?
Well lets have a look at a brief rundown shall we...

#1: Afghan- 2nd gen, Ak x Af, White Rhino x Af, Northern lights x Af

#2: Ak48- F-2's, Nl x Ak, Ak x Hk, Shiva x Ak

#3: Big Bud- 2nd gen, Shiva x BB, Nl x BB, Ak x BB

#4 Haze: F-2's, Haze x Af, Haze x Shiva

#5: Ice-f-2's, Ice x Hk, Ice x BB

#6:Hindu Kush- 2nd gen, Af x Hk, Nl x Hk, Shiva x Hk

#7: Northern Lights- 2nd gens, Wr x Nl, Ice x Nl

#8: Northern Lights x Haze- F-2's, Nlh x BB, Nlh x Shiva

#9: Shiva- 2nd gen, Wr x Shiva, BB x Shiva Af x Shiva

#10: White Rhino- F-2's, Wr x BB, Wr x Nl, Wr x Hk

That my folks is over 30 strains and hybrids for less than $200 ( based on price per pack of "Nirvana" branded seeds)
Thats enough variety and numbers to keep you busy for around 8-10 yrs, constantly growing new stuff and not repeating anything.
The plan is customizable and can be pared down to suit you needs.
I just wanted to clue people in on the possibilities.
I wanted to show that with a small investment you could free yourself from the need to ever have to buy seeds again, and have a good supply of high quality hybrids.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

IMB :)

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great find, IMB! Too many people are hesitant to make their own crosses, so they end up becoming reliant on seed vendors to find new varieties/Cv's.

I have read in a scientific paper (http://www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/full/91/6/966) that cannabis has the same magnitude of variation within a population as it does between populations. So there almost always will be the option of selecting and crossing the best individuals from a group to create a stock of quality seed. The bigger the group , the more likely a truely outstanding individual(s) will be found.

kathyd

Thank-you for this thread and your suggestions, this is the kind of info I come to this forum for. REal information.

Tilt

I got an 8 pack variety and plan to put this idea into practice. Thanks to IM boggled for the inspiration. Anyone else tried this with nirvana? If so what pollen chuckin crosses did you make.

mosstrooper

Excellent post, thanks.

I have just been reading Carol Deppes Breed your own vegetable varieties, the gardeners and farmers guide to plant breeding and seed saving.

Cant recommend it too highly, a large book with alot of text, no pictures, very inspiring, lots of ideas and strategy's and its all about breeding and selecting for regional adaptability as well as for other desirable traits, for people on low budgets. Much like your post.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
Man this is very inspirational! thank you so much for posting :) I saved it on my comp for good and plan on going back to this some time soon when im not too high lol
I haven't made seeds since my first cross when i was 15-16 years old... my cross was Jamaican Pearl x Grape skunk I put a bag over the male plant, collected the pollen, and left it in the freezer after putting it in a container..when pollinating I took paint brush and chose where i kinda wanted the seeds on the plant and was surprise of how good the cross came the bud took best trates of both plants.. but looked blueish.. very nice herb...
I need to Make a cross I almost been scared to since its been forever.
Thanks for sharing this
Breeding and living would be a dream come true..

L

limonene420

I saw this on treating yourself a Couple of years ago, its great that it is spreading around.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
:bump:More people need to see this!
Thanks again!:wave:
also :thank you: to the ones that positive rep me
all the best