What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please no! Help in identying RA or fungus gnat

A little background info. Been battling RAs for over a year now.

Complete shutdown for a month. Cleaned. Cleaned. Cleaned.

Introduced new babies two weeks ago and killed either a gnat or root aphid this morning. So frustrated. Wish the pic was better. Any help pls

picture.php

troutman

Seed Whore
That's not an aphid. Set up some sticky tapes and catch more of them.
I use fly paper sticky tapes all around my garden as a preventative.

BTW: Fungus gnats like moist soils.

That's not an aphid. Set up some sticky tapes and catch more of them.
I use fly paper sticky tapes all around my garden as a preventative.

BTW: Fungus gnats like moist soils.

Thanks man. I don’t know how to rep on mobile/site but your always helpful bro. For a little I post you seem to always have an answer to one of my questions

What makes you believe it’s a FG. Is there something I should be looking for?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You need to look at the way the bug is constructed. Head - Thorax - Abdomen. The way they are joined is different between the two pests, which makes it the easiest way to tell.

Fungus gnats have a very distinct separation between all three parts. Winged aphids, tend to look more like head + body, without as much distinct separation.

Winged Aphids tend to excrete a white waxy substance within the edges of the root ball and container wall. This is a dead give away. Aphids also tend to attract ants for this very reason, because the ants will farm the waxy secretion of the root aphids.

Their behavioral patterns are different as well. Fungus gnats are drawn to moisture and surface level rotting materials such as fallen leaves and tend to stay near this source of moisture. Winged root aphids will tend to fly higher, being attracted to the lights much more than a fungus gnat.

Look into entomopathogenic nematodes or Beauveria bassiana which is an entomopathogenic fungus.

dank.Frank

You need to look at the way the bug is constructed. Head - Thorax - Abdomen. The way they are joined is different between the two pests, which makes it the easiest way to tell.

Fungus gnats have a very distinct separation between all three parts. Winged aphids, tend to look more like head + body, without as much distinct separation.

Winged Aphids tend to excrete a white waxy substance within the edges of the root ball and container wall. This is a dead give away. Aphids also tend to attract ants for this very reason, because the ants will farm the waxy secretion of the root aphids.

Their behavioral patterns are different as well. Fungus gnats are drawn to moisture and surface level rotting materials such as fallen leaves and tend to stay near this source of moisture. Winged root aphids will tend to fly higher, being attracted to the lights much more than a fungus gnat.

Look into entomopathogenic nematodes or Beauveria bassiana which is an entomopathogenic fungus.

dank.Frank

Agreed with your points. Good info. I got an IPM that I hope will be keep me RA (worst pest imo) free. Botunguard or ogbio war every ten days. 2 applications of Beneficial nematodes and 2 applications of h. Miles. And keeping a clean room. A lot of monitoring

Just sucks to see an insect flying two weeks into starting back up after being shutdown for a month.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Need to place the bug on it's side so we can see along the body sections, without being obstructed by the wings. And the picture needs to be clear. Try a tripod on a count down timed flash.

dank.Frank

Need to place the bug on it's side so we can see along the body sections, without being obstructed by the wings. And the picture needs to be clear. Try a tripod on a count down timed flash.

dank.Frank

I’m trying. I’m using my phone right now. But it has a slender body, wings lay on top of each other, long legs. I’m hoping a FG

What I’ve gather so far.. RA shorter stockier with short legs

Latest posts

Latest posts