What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

28 plants out bush

Pumpkin

Veteran
IMG_20190218_170745.jpg IMG_20190218_170552.jpg IMG_20190218_170521.jpg

I had 48 plants but had 20 males. 28 left

Pumpkin

Veteran
So all in coco. I think 30lt pots. Feed with cyco via doseatron. Just A and B. Got about 2 months to go

Pumpkin

Veteran
If you have any questions or shit... That's perfect because i don't really know what to say :)

Pumpkin

Veteran
I'm about 37 degrees south... My elevation is about 550m. We have snow in winter sometimes. Rainfall is about 650mm a year. A lot colder than I am used to, but learning.

The strains I have are not on the market, but there are the genetic bases from cookies, kush, shiva, haze and sour d. So all good stuff.

Last edited:

CrushnYuba

Wow. That's different. That is growing now? How are you keeping them from flowering outside?
How often are you feeding/watering. Haven't seen to many people do tiny pots of coco outside. Are you able to get run off with the pots buried?
Whole thing looks very different

Edit: i saw you said 37 south. I thought it was North

Pumpkin

Veteran
The soil is sand so the runoff just goes through the bottom of the pots to the fast draining sand. I just moved to feeding 5lt 3 times a day per pot. 420lt a day in total ;). The pots don't have thier bottoms cut off as I want that nutrients to hang out in the rootzone in the coco, as they wash out of the sand pretty fast.

As for your other questions, I think you answered them yourself :)

CrushnYuba

I really dig the setup. I do a soiless mix in My greenhouses fed with a doser. super heavy on the coco, but I'm thinking about going straight coco this year in smaller pots. Push it a little more.

Have you grown like that outside before? What kind of heat do you deal with there? My concern is that i get some temperature swings. I'm worried that a plant will fry when it's 100f+ and no humidity. Also i worry that in an irrigation failure, a plant could fry with such a small pot pretty quick.

How big are the plants? It's hard to tell with pictures. Do you know how far into the sand the roots are grown?

Pumpkin

Veteran
I think this is my 4th run with coco outdoors, but first time in this location. Things have been changed up a little each time.

This grow it doesn't get too hot, but have done this in very hot climates. I have not really noticed any additional burn or negative effects in comparison to soil. My daytime waters are sometimes with rather hot water as not all my lines are buried.

An irrigation failure would of course be a huge issue. That's why I ran PVC pressure pipe instead of poly. I have a huge water tank. The real failure point would be the garden timer I imagine.

The plants are 2-3.5m high and 2m wide.

I'm not sure how far the roots go into the sand. I can feel them coming out the holes, but no way of measuring. I'm doubtful it is enough to outlast an irrigation failure anyhow. I had the water off once and had some wilt withing 24hrs.

CrushnYuba

Is it straight coco or cut with something?

I was thinking about using a similar sized pot for my light dep. Might cut with about 15-20% lava rock. I'm thinking about a much smaller plant. Maybe 5-6 weeks veg. Probably like 3.5ft x 3.5ft in a trellis so no side light. Do you think that's too big of a pot? I am also thinking fabric pot, not buried

Pumpkin

Veteran
I've used straight budget coco here. I toped that with an inch of lava rock just as a mulsh, just to avoid the top of the coco drying out too much. I'm sure cutting it with lava rock would be fine.

I did a fabric pot grow with big pots. I think 45 gallons. (Pictured)

user8760_pic1526415_1447846374.jpg

I also did a run with small plants in trellis also. I got to dig you up a picture and post it soon.

I didn't catch what size pot you were using, but I've gone both big and small. I think as long as you can have multiple starts for your irrigation, and have faith in your irrigation, you can go with a pretty small pot size. I'm not an expert, but you can pretty confidently grow an elbow in 10lt of coco.

Sounds like a good plan and I'm sure you will do well.

Pumpkin

Veteran
Burying pots is good if your ground drains well, and mulshing. But if you have poor draining soil I can imagine you may end up with root rot. So I would be cutting off the bottom of my pots if i was going to plant in poor draining soil.

Pumpkin

Veteran
received_10156446241612792.jpg

These plants were about a pound each in 12lt pots, but i did cut the bottom off on this occasion. Worked pretty good. I had 4 spaces like that about 3*3m. The 30 percent shade cloth was for privacy and heat.